Blasts From The Past - 50S,60S And 70S Music

Ron19

I've been accused of only posting what I want and I make no apology for that.I would welcome anyones contributions and in fact would encourage them to post thier own choices and that is the whole idea for starting the thread, to bring back thier musical memories from the past not only mine.

It would be nice to see other peoples "likes" from the 50's 60's and 70's.

As we all come from many different cultures and backgrounds, I am sure there is quite a mix, that could be added.

As Ron19 and myself are Aussies, I do understand how some might think that we are one sided.

But then, we don't know your "likes", so please post.

You are both Aussies? Well your'e neighbouring country New Zealand produced who I thought was a great singer, I'm talking about John Rowles.

• Like 2

Hi again Kevjohn, Yes I remember Jim Reeves, he was killed in a plane crash not long after I first heard him. I actually saw the woods where his plane crashed just outside Nashville when I was over there to see the Grand Ole Opry.

Great song, but in my opinion, the best song on that CD was "A Love so Beautiful"

California blue is my personal favourite of Roy orbisons and agree totally with your comments concerning him.I would like to thank you for what you have posted here today and the comments that went along with them.Almost everyone of them have brought back memories including " Da Do Ron Ron " which I liked for the memories rather than the musical qualities.You are more than welcome to keep posting along with anyone else who have something to offer.

I'm sorry Kevjohn, I never liked Tom Jones, he had no originalty, and was a carbon copy of PJ Proby, and not half as good.

Thanks for your comments......wai.gif

Do you have any of your music, on YouTube, that you could share with us here?

I'm sorry Kevjohn, I am ashamed to say I do not know how to post music videos on to Youtube, I will try and find out though. But George Jones, the all time greatest and most popular American Country and Western singer has loads of videos on Youtube, why don't you log in? I don't care for too much of the early fifties stuff, just not a fan of Sinatra and that sort of stuff, although I do like Dean Martin. One great female singer from the fifties although I don't remember her was Jo Stafford.

Great song, but in my opinion, the best song on that CD was "A Love so Beautiful"

California blue is my personal favourite of Roy orbisons and agree totally with your comments concerning him.I would like to thank you for what you have posted here today and the comments that went along with them.Almost everyone of them have brought back memories including " Da Do Ron Ron " which I liked for the memories rather than the musical qualities.You are more than welcome to keep posting along with anyone else who have something to offer.

Thats great Ron, I'll do that although it will take a long time to get through 140 odd posts. I will also be pleased to hear your'e comments.

The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go, 1964

youtube.c...ed/izzKUoxL11E

I'm sorry Kevjohn. I am not a fan of The Supremes, they sound to me like three squeaky gates opening and shutting. I just do not like Tamla Motown. I will just go the whole hog and say I am not a fan of the Coloured singers although I can appreciate Nat King Coles talent. I have had many a debate on this, and I always ask the person I am debating with, name me a coloured singer who is as good as Elvis, Roy Orbison or Gene Pitney. I don't remember anyone giving me a name.

Hi Ron and Kevjohn, Talking about groups and me being a ex pro Musician. The Beatles were good musicians. But it was Lennon and McCartneys song writing abilty that made them. The main Liverpool bands of that era like the Searchers, Hollies etc were good musicians of around equal ability. Among the best lead singers were Billy J Kramer. Paul Jones, and Steve Ellis of the Love Affair.

I thought the Bee Gees were an excellent band with Robin Gibb a great lead singer, with a touch of Roy Orbison about him. But taking musical ability, vocal ability and great harmonies in to consideration, the best band of the lot were an American band called The Byrds, remember Mr Tambourine Man? They had four excellent lead singers.

• Like 1