New York-Style Policing May Be Adopted In Bangkok

Lite Beer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bloomberg is a wacko!!!!!. NYC makes tons of revenue from permits and fines. His latest brainchild is no soda over 16oz to be sold.

You may consider him a wacko, but at least he is raising the idea of gluttony and obesity; in order to counter people's minds against them, in some way.

Lard-arse sightings in Thailand are become extreme, obesity and laziness extreme, and people's self indulgence - EXTREME! - and I am not talking 'farangs' ermm.gif

Maybe a need to run from the odd BIB might be a good idea. BiBs with pointed guns at MacDonalds' freaks, KFC freaks and all the ungodly imports that are contrary to original Thai diet, would be a good start here, as opposed simply to large sugar drinks cartons.... giggle.gif

-mel.

Guess this means that all the "fines" will now have to be paid in US$...... laugh.png

Sorry ossifer, I was going the wrong way. Here's a whopping $1. It's huge money, believe me! :o

Oh thank you, farang! I will buy a new gun with this. :)

-mel. cheesy.gif

I think raising ideas is fine. I believe this should be part of everyone's education. I also believe that if you want a 20oz drink instead of a 16oz it is my decision not some politicians.

Who is he to suggest women showed breast feed as opposed to formula? Shouldn't the mother make that choice?

BTW his latest idea. He wants to deprive the poor from a free breakfast because the children might become overweight...

I think raising ideas is fine. I believe this should be part of everyone's education. I also believe that if you want a 20oz drink instead of a 16oz it is my decision not some politicians.

But this politician guy has to provide seats in the subway and buses. For further planning....!

I don't want "New York style" policing or any other American style policing. One of the good things about being here is that I am not spied on constantly, with private companies (we're talking credit agencies, here) being given carte blanche to investigate you and determine if and how much you pay for insurance, electricity, cable TV, rent, etc. And I don't want some Bloomberg clone outlawing soft drinks, doughnuts, and anything else that pops into his pea brain because he thinks it's bad or unhealthy for everyone else. Corruption is better than living in a police state.

Wow! You seem to have really "integrated" into Thai society. Or are you one of the uber-rich pu-yai that pays the police to get away with whatever crime you choose to commit? You think it's better when a rich kid runs down a poor girl on a highway, cutting her in half?. And then fleeing the scene of the accident with half her body still in his car and half left on the road. He pays the girl's family, so case dropped. Most likely he only did that because his family could not get to the right police officer fast enough with the right amount of bribe money. One case in many. The norm. Do we need to get into the Santika club and how it's problems with the law dissapeared when a high-ranking police officer was made a business partner? The story did not end well for a number of people. And these are just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't agree with a lot of the "nanny-state" policies in western countries but that's not enough to excuse a police force that does not consider public safety and enforcing laws to be their job. I've lived in the both the US and Europe. Do problems exist in these places? Sure they do. But at least the rule of law actually means something. In both places, the police are not perfect and there are some "bad apples." But they are the exception. The vast majority of police officers consider public safety to be their job and their duty to enforce the laws. And most will not accept a bribe and if you offer a bribe, there is a good chance it's you that will be arrested.

Hopefully, you will rethink your previous comment.

A corrupt police force is the reflection of a country.

The first step to improve quality of living in Bangkok would be to stop the completely mindless support scheme for first-time car buyers!!!

But of course things like these would be too simple for the Thai government. We need something "fancy" for PR, like "New York Style Policing™"... rolleyes.gif

As I understand it, NYPD arrest those caught breaking the law, and courts determine their guilt or innocence and appropriate punishment. In Thailand, the BIB negotiate the penalty which flows directly into their pocket, and guilt or innocence is of no consequence - the only important issue is the amount of revenue raised.

You would think that having a BIL who became wealthy on a BIB remuneration (as different from salary), she should realise this. Either she is terminally stupid, or simply lying (again), or both.

As I understand it, NYPD arrest those caught breaking the law, and courts determine their guilt or innocence and appropriate punishment. In Thailand, the BIB negotiate the penalty which flows directly into their pocket, and guilt or innocence is of no consequence - the only important issue is the amount of revenue raised.

You would think that having a BIL who became wealthy on a BIB remuneration (as different from salary), she should realise this. Either she is terminally stupid, or simply lying (again), or both.

Are you talking about the same Yingluck who doesn't know the difference between the words "OVERCOME" and "WELCOME"?

Yingluck must have been watching too much CSI...

Anyone can download her the TV-series 'Chicago Code'? Or would that be to close to the existing system?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifDon't mention Chicago are otherwise Yingluck will change her mind to make Bangkok Chicago style with 100 floor Bangkok Sears Towerscheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The budget allocated for policing in the Big Apple is spent exactly just on that - 100% policing.

35% of it does not disappear before it arrives to the individual bureaus which control the divided area and precincts.

If 35% did disappear then NY would have a similar problem as BKK does.

There in lies a rather large problem. The US Government leaders don't expect tea-money for doing their jobs!

-mel

Actually that's 35% for government graft, 35% for police commissioners graft, 35% for head office graft,35% when it reaches sub-divisions, another 35% when it reaches local branches & 35% when divvied out between duty officers.. what's left is to run the new scheme..

Sounds a bit like the flooding fiasco.. billions spent & nothing left to do the job with !!

Well if you start with 10,000,000 using that formula you wind up with a little under 1,500,000.

Seems about rite.whistling.gif

Edited by hellodolly

You cannot say the police in Thailand do not uphold the law to the letter if they see a farang tourist drop a cigarette but on the street they are right there upholding the law and fine then 2000Bt on the spot with no appeal or if a farang jumps a red light they are straight in there upholding the law and fine them 300Bt on the spot with no appeal, and if a farang looks like he was speeding the magnificent Thai police are straight in there upholding the law and doing there job for King and country and fine them 500Bt

Such fine honest upstanding men a shining example to all the other people in Thailand

She can start changing their police force by firing all of them from the top down and rehiring a more trustworthy bunch with new policies. I am quite sure that will never happen but it is the thought that counts in Thailand. She has to appear to be in charge and able to come up with brainstorm ideas no matter how far fetched they may seem.

The police in Western countries work nights as police officers, from my experience the majority of police in Thailand work nights as pimps, debt collectors and running protection rackets.

You dont think cops in the west do these things and strictly confined to thailand? I once saw a cop screwing a hooker in an alley in Houston.

Or how about the cop in Hawaii that was transporting crystal meth in his trunk?

I juse to throw rave parties back in the US and as long as there was a off duty cop on premises it wouldnt get shut down.

Edited by KRS1