Chinese Tourist Dies In Phuket After Speedboat Accident

webfact

Chinese tourist dies in Phuket after speedboat accident

Phuket Gazette

hos.jpeg

The efforts by staff at Phuket International Hospital could not save the life of Chinese tourist Kang Xiao Xue. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: A 24-year-old Chinese woman died in Phuket International Hospital this morning after being involved in a heavy collision between two speedboats off Koh Khai island in Phang Nga Bay yesterday.

Chinese tourist Kang Xiao Xue was rushed to Phuket along with “many others” who sustained injuries in the collision, the Phuket Gazette was told.

She was one of three tourists who suffered serious injuries in the accident, which occurred at about 2pm yesterday.

Zhou Rui, 31, and Zhang Liang, 30, are also receiving treatment for serious injuries.

Ms Kang was pronounced dead at Phuket International Hospital at about 9am today after succumbing to her injuries.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...dent-19301.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-01

The captains will be known to the business owner on Koh Khai who will have employed them or at least granted them permission and taken commission for them to operate on the island. Should be very easy to trace them.

Edited by Soupdragon

My observation is that the majority of helmsmen don't need a throttle - just on/off switch. And a "no wake" zone is no even considered. Until the Thai police/coast guard exists and gets serious and start ticketing (real) violators then it won't change - so that means it won't change.

• Like 2

Sorry but as a sailor , when you drive a speed boat you usually see what's in the front .. either one boat driver or the other one ....for 2 boats to crash together would mean ..heavy fog or big storm ... knowing the water around its for sure lack in knowledge of marine safety and regulation ...well nothing to ad when you see the mess on roads ..the mess is now on water ... how many tourists must die because of stupid people ? that is not fair ....

Just a general thought here. After following the news all kinds of incidents in this country it's obvious that accuracy in journalism isn't something where this country leaves its sleep for. Popularism and sensation seem to be the standard. Come on wanna-be-journalists, take it a bit more serious when you report something to the public. Remaining objective, intelligence and proper investigation are keywords if you want to become a journalist one day..

Sorry but as a sailor , when you drive a speed boat you usually see what's in the front .. either one boat driver or the other one ....for 2 boats to crash together would mean ..heavy fog or big storm ... knowing the water around its for sure lack in knowledge of marine safety and regulation ...well nothing to ad when you see the mess on roads ..the mess is now on water ... how many tourists must die because of stupid people ? that is not fair ....

I have worked on boats both here and in the states. Here the speed boat captains drive just like the taxi's. There is no concern for safety, respect for or even understanding of safe boating around swimmers and divers. I have had so many close calls diving various dive sites or swimming at the beach I have lost count. I once nearly had my head lopped off by a parasail towing cable. The speed boats ignore my marked "diver down" buoy and flag, and jet skiers use it as a cornering obstacle. To be fair to the Thai's, I have had a presumably seasoned yachtie shoot past my marked buoy in his skiff within a couple meters, just over my head. At least he stopped to apologise.

I once read that there is a Thai law requiring vessels under power to stay something like 50m away from swimmers and divers like in western countires. That is certainly the accepted international practice, but I wouldn't expect Thai boat "captains" to adhere to or know either. Their actions certainly indicate that.

Edited by NomadJoe

Agreed as why i warn people going down south....as said before thais do what they want--they know they can get away with it---and as long as u have money or cop friends/connections u can do as u please in this self serving-ignorance is bliss---just another farang mentality--its making me jaded here

Btw--never had a thai say they are sorry in over 3 yrs living here--i say it but they dont listen to me wai2.gif

RIP to the victim and family. Quick and thorough recovery to the injured.

Where could Thailand be today without all those irresponsible, drunk and drug addicted speed boat, mini van, ten wheeler truck, bus, and tuk tuk drivers and their close "friends", these friendly and utterly helpful jet ski rastas, who feel permitted to point a gun at your face if you refuse to pay for damages to their beloved jet ski which they have caused themselves on purpose... and of course without corrupt police to support them...

Edited by catweazle

Don't these speed boats have qualified helmsmen. Stupid question really.

RIP the dead woman and may the rest recover.

Absolutely not. Most are underqualified, and many are either drinking or getting high during the time they are piloting the craft. This is one of the reasons that Thailand is so dangerous, in regard to speedboats, jet-skis, motorcycles, etc. Few are great drivers, or captains, and there is nearly zero regulations from the government, and the law authorities, who would be dead and buried if they were any more apathetic about safety. Thailand is mired near the bottom of the third world, when it comes to regulation, and safety standards.

• Like 1

Don't these speed boats have qualified helmsmen. Stupid question really.

RIP the dead woman and may the rest recover.

Absolutely not. Most are underqualified, and many are either drinking or getting high during the time they are piloting the craft. This is one of the reasons that Thailand is so dangerous, in regard to speedboats, jet-skis, motorcycles, etc. Few are great drivers, or captains, and there is nearly zero regulations from the government, and the law authorities, who would be dead and buried if they were any more apathetic about safety. Thailand is mired near the bottom of the third world, when it comes to regulation, and safety standards.

I have personally never witnessed the drinking/drugs while driving but I agree with the rest of your post. There is a culture of reckless disregard for safety here, in both maintenance and operation. My wife got a Thai boat captain license even though she knows virtually nothing about it.

Another news source states the people killed and injured were riding on a banana boat which was towed too close to shore and smashed into another speedboat.

Both captains have disappeared.

Yea...they have gone BANANAS now.... Speed boats under surveillance,... Funny that Thai authorities cannot find the helmsmen! Arent they registered.... well I suppose Banana wave riding license is issued to every monkey that can float....

The captains will be known to the business owner on Koh Khai who will have employed them or at least granted them permission and taken commission for them to operate on the island. Should be very easy to trace them.

yes that is correct ...but only if they want to ....my mate had his toes severed in an accident in patts years back ...the tour co .after visiting him in hospital and bringing fruit and flowers then turned around and said he wasnt on the boat ...and refused to pay any bills etc ....these people have a hide and a half ..and just play the :i dont understand : game ....