What Does A Retirement Visa Look Like?

As said above it is an extension of the original Visa that allowed you to enter the country. Nothing flash just the date that is expires and reason. Be warned you require an exit/reentry if you want to leave and reenter the country on the current extension. If you just leave the country the current extension is cancelled and you have to go the whole process again.

A retirement extension of stay is pretty much just a couple of dates (date of approval and a Permitted to Stay Up to date), a short sentence(s) under each date, a hand written extension number, and in upper case letters the word retirement. Can get two such extension of stays entries on each passport page without overlapping and using every square inch of the page which three entries would require ....but I expect the norm is a max of two retirement extension entries per page...that is a retirement extension of stay requires a half page. Nothing fancy, full page like a retirement visa.

Does it take up a full page of your passport like other visas?

--------------------

No, it's rather unimpressive for the paperwork and such you go through to get it.

Mine is little bigger than those "permitted to stay until.....date stamp" things you get when you enter Thailand.

But it has 3 important things on it.

First it's stamped RETIREMENT on it.

Second it's dated 15 October 2012 (the date it was issued)

Third, the date 15 October 2013 (when it's valid until).

And some writing in Thai with a signature from the person who made it.

But that date is worth all the effort.

wink.png

It appears that the OP is doing the two step process. First step change of visa to a 90 day non-immigrant O visa done in Thailand. Second step will be annual extension based on retirement applied for during the last 30 days of his current 90 day permission to stay. That extension will likely be stamped RETIREMENT.

The exact details of an extension stamp vary from office to office, but here's a scan of a single passport page with two extensions (one issued last year, and one issued this year) from the Immigrations office in Hua Hin:

post-33251-0-61992400-1352875510_thumb.j

(Note that in Hua Hin they don't write "Retirement" on it, though I think most other offices do.)

It appears that the OP is doing the two step process. First step change of visa to a 90 day non-immigrant O visa done in Thailand. Second step will be annual extension based on retirement applied for during the last 30 days of his current 90 day permission to stay. That extension will likely be stamped RETIREMENT.

OK, so today I changed my visa status from Ed to retirement.

I don't think so. An ED visa is a non immigrant visa and that is all you need to get an extension of stay based upon retirement.

I don't think so. An ED visa is a non immigrant visa and that is all you need to get an extension of stay based upon retirement.

That's what I thought too ... BEFORE:

The OP has communicated privately with me and I assume Lopburi3. (Generally, it is better to work things like this out on the public forum, I think.) The current information I have is that all he got is what he thinks is a 90 day extension of stay. I think he means that he got a non-immigrant 90 day VISA as the first step in the classic two step process with the second step being an application for annual extension based on retirement. I don't pretend to be certain that is really what he has without CLEARER communication from the OP and/or a picture of his passport stamp; only going with the current info I have. Obviously if all he really has is a 90 day stay now, he does NOT have an annual retirement extension! Be clear to get the first step (the non-immigrant visa) you must present present financial qualifying information for that as well so he may have thought he was applying for a retirement extension but actually was only applying for the first step of the two step process (O visa). To settle this he could post a picture of what he actually has and/or being SPECIFIC about the DATES of end of stay for whatever it actually is that he actually got. Look folks, we ain't mind readers here.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks one and all for your input. It would seem that there is a 2 step process and when I go back for my 90 days check it will be resolved then. As I said in a private post, the officer concerned was particularly unhelpful ...maybe she was having a bad day although it was early in the morning. My concerns could have been alleviated had she communicated that it would be a 2 step process.

Thanks one and all for your input. It would seem that there is a 2 step process and when I go back for my 90 days check it will be resolved then. As I said in a private post, the officer concerned was particularly unhelpful ...maybe she was having a bad day although it was early in the morning. My concerns could have been alleviated had she communicated that it would be a 2 step process.

I don't know when your 90 days check is, which I assume you mean 90 day ADDRESS report.

In any case, if it is really true that you now have a NEW non-immigrant visa issued at Thai immigration then you are advised to apply for your annual extension based on retirement at the same office you got the visa during the last 30 days of your 90 day stay on that new visa. I suggest going in "early" 30 days out as it gives you the chance to resolve any issues and you lose no days on your new annual extension by doing so. Good luck.

Edited by Jingthing

If you did have to do the 2 step process you would of gotten 2 stamps. One that has written on it Non Immigrant Visa.

The other would be a permitted to stay stamp 90 days from the date you were at immigration.

In your original post you stated that you only got one small blue stamp.

If you did have to do the 2 step process you would of gotten 2 stamps. One that has written on it Non Immigrant Visa.

The other would be a permitted to stay stamp 90 days from the date you were at immigration.

In your original post you stated that you only got one small blue stamp.

Thanks for bringing that up. I remain very unclear about what exactly the OP has in his passport. That's another reason I suggested that if he is now really eligible for the application for annual extension step that he go in early (30 days out) to give him time to deal with this, regardless of his actual current status. Edited by Jingthing

(Note that in Hua Hin they don't write "Retirement" on it, though I think most other offices do.)

Thank you, wpcoe, for uploading your retirement extension stamps. I am always glad to get a newer issue of stamps I already have in my reference album "Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc". Prior to this, the latest retirement extension I had was from 2009.

Your stamps also have Retirement on it, but in Thai language: ใช้ชีวิตในบั้นปลาย, to live the rest of your life.

I recently got a new passport and had my retirement extension transferred to it and renewed it at the same time. Here are the stamps:

Page 1 Top: imformation from old passport

Page 1 middle/bottom: immigration stamp when I last entered Thailand via Tak in 2004

Page 2 top:Old retirement extension

Page 2 bottom: new retirement extension good unti 6 Nov 2013

Stamp Transfer - new extension.tif

Edited by wayned

As said above it is an extension of the original Visa that allowed you to enter the country. Nothing flash just the date that is expires and reason. Be warned you require an exit/reentry if you want to leave and reenter the country on the current extension. If you just leave the country the current extension is cancelled and you have to go the whole process again.

+1. Good info

@Maestro - the Thai sentence ใช้ชีวิตบั้นปลาย does not mean to live the rest of your life. It means 'End of Life', or in this context, expiry date.

I wouldn't go as far as giving a person's life an expiry date. The correct translation of ใช้ชีวิตในบั้นปลาย is really "retirement". I borrowed the flowery expression "live the rest of your life" from an English translation I saw of a previous version of the extension rules. If you are interested in learning more about how the Thai language uses a compound of several words to give it a single, specific meaning you will find the Thai language forum useful. (We would be off topic discussing it in more detail here. You sometimes see the funniest things when a translation from Thai is made too literally)

Here is my RETIREMENT VISA for Thailand and the 90 day police report,, i usually report in Udon Thani because i know where the location is

and now they know me and i've got to know them so it's a rutine procedure in and out in 5 minutes, hope this helps.post-141778-0-04934300-1353275545_thumb.post-141778-0-04934300-1353275545_thumb.post-141778-0-85170400-1353275571_thumb.

• Like 1

Actually the proper term is Long Stay visa or non immigrant O-A visa. It is issued by a Thai Consulate for retirement so often called retirement visa.

But this is not what you obtain inside Thailand. What is issued in Thailand are single entry non immigrant O entries (for those needing) and one year extensions of stay for retirement.

Most of those Immigration officers - male or female - seem to suffer from PMS around 365 days/year :-(