Farmville, Typical Thai-Ness?

krading

I've watched my missus play this inane game for quite a while and have noticed that almost all of her Facebook posts are generated through the game. (or should that be 'Face'-book.)

She told me people like to build up the biggest farm to gain 'face' and show others how clever and industrious they are.

It is so important to them that some will actually pay a 'hacker' to do the work for them and claim it as their own.

I suppose if it's good enough for a university degree it's good enough for Facebook.

(insert 'going to hell in a handbasket' icon here)

Addiction to online games or social networking or even a combination of the two isn't anything new or even specific to Thailand.

The South Korean government curtail their population's access to online games and social networking in some surprisingly draconian ways. They have serious serious issues of this nature over there. Vastly more than Thailand does.

The Thai government will never do anything about problems of this nature as they just don't understand them, so don't expect anyone to give you a hand here. They'd actually probably encourage this behaviour (for similar face-gaining loony reasons.)

The real word of warning I would give over Farmville, is that whilst the base play mode is free, there's many ways in which addicts end up paying real money. Paying a 3rd party to farm for them, being one of those things. There's many other ways you can end up paying for things with Farmville.

If she's started down this path, I'd nip it in the bud asap.

Effectively she'll be paying money for some pixels and data on a computer screen.

The line about it being Face-book and it's about gaining face, isn't even remotely based in reality.

Facebook got its name as it was supposed to be a literal internet-based book of people's faces (i.e. their contact information and whereabouts, etc) It's ballooned since this inception.

Adding a Thai slant on its moniker doesn't work.

I don't see how wasting your time so comprehensively could be considered as even remotely gaining face. If her friends knew how much time she invested in something that causes her to be extremely anti-social and disconnected from reality for most of the day, I would imagine they'd laugh at her, thus causing her to lose vastly more face than the game can ever hope to garner.

All things in moderation, if moderation can be achieved (which with Thais and most humans in general is a very large ask.)

Good luck in weaning her off it. It's not going to be a pleasant experience!

Edited by ManInSurat

I'd guess that 99% of Farmville players are not Thai. This is one of the most popular games in the world, millions of people play it every day. These type of games are a multi billion dollar industry. Some of you think up the most bizarre examples of 'Thai' behavior.

Oh, good grief.

A simple comment about a simple game and it's 'release the hounds' time.

Maybe my spending too much time on thai-visa needs to be nipped in the bud. saai.gif

Mate, you are the 1 making derogatory statements about the game in your opening post.

You complained about it to us.

We follow suit and we are wrong?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

People are strange.

Release the Chihuahuas!

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by ManInSurat

If anything is Thai, it's posting pictures of meals on facebook - not playing Farmville. Posting pictures of meals, not people enjoying meals but just the meals, is quite funny - all about boasting where you've been or how much you've spent on food. Westerners usually like to post pictures of buildings, for example, which is quite strange to Thais or asians in general.

If anything is Thai, it's posting pictures of meals on facebook - not playing Farmville. Posting pictures of meals, not people enjoying meals but just the meals, is quite funny - all about boasting where you've been or how much you've spent on food. Westerners usually like to post pictures of buildings, for example, which is quite strange to Thais or asians in general.

It's all about Boasting where you have been or how much you have spent on food !

Boasting ? blink.png

Incredible perception.

Some of you guys try to put Thai people down at every opportunity, that half the perceptions are total rubbish is no deterrent.

I have got plenty of friends who are not Thai who constantly instagram their meals. :P

Oh good grief.

Maybe my spending too much time on thai-visa needs to be nipped in the bud.saai.gif

good lord, you are just figuring this out now?

i found my name in the top 20 posters and have not yet recovered from the stigma.

The advantage of thaivisa over facebook, is you can actually tell people what you really think of them here

Edited by tinfoilhat