Thailand Plans To Run Chinese High-Speed Railway System

webfact

If I'm right reading the introduction, suicides (pedestrian fatalities) are included. Given their relative important frequency in some countries, including them distort significantly the real risk of boarding a train.

Good point. My father was a NSW Railways engine driver and his count was 3 suicides by train. From a conversation with several of his workmates, this was not at all an unusual figure.

BTW high speed passenger services were much preferred.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air Asia has 9 flights per day DMK/CNX with fares running from a little over a thousand up to 2 thousand baht, and travel/waiting time around the same as proposed for the HSR link. Seats are readily available.

How does the HSR attract sufficient customers to make it viable?

Exclusive images of the high speed Chinese train destined for Thailand see below.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Interesting to note that the first fatality on the railways in England was the death of an M.P.whistling.gif

One wonders if history might repeat itself in years to come in Thailand ?, Ah wishful thinking no doubt!! whistling.gif

weird-rocket-train.jpg

934b12144df0fdb05b7bf8d977a6d73f.jpg

However Thai Railway engineers will modify the locomotives so as they are able to operate on the S.R.T. with the minimum of problems, see below

rocket.jpg

Fireworks aren't very good today, hows the tea coming along?

All aboarrrrrrrrd. Next stop malfunction junction.
  • Like 1

well we know how safe is this Chinese fast train ... not sure I will ever take it to go to chiang mai ..I never trusted Chinese technology, specially when its based on copying European technology. China have faced so many accident with their made in china train ..... well if that what Thailand want .....have fun with spare parts and all the rest .

i took it between Ningbo and Shanghai last December and it was incredible. Very smooth and fast

and even a first class ticket was very cheap compared to a similar standard in Europe such as

the Eurostar.

Chinese Techonology?????? Copies or clones I would say. If they are referring to the fast trains from Shanghai...they are German Technology, The mono rail is also German Technology....the chinese only designed it slightly different to give it their Chinese touch! Chinese do not innovate...they copy!

Copies and Clones?

Change the name "China" into "Japan" and see what you get...?

I've read those words thousands of times about Japan, some 30, 40 years ago and look where the Japanese are now. I never read anything anymore about copying by the Japanese. They invent and create, the same as the Chinese are doing now on a huge scale; copying is dying out in China and they KNOW they can't continue copying anymore.

People bashing China show themselves they know nothing about China or what's going on.

R&D spending is huge in China; the difference is that we hardly read anything about it in the western press.

About High-Speed train networks: there is NO other country in the entire world with such a large network with high speed trains than China.

Even Japan is behind mainland Europe and UK where Spain has the most sophisticated and largest network, above any of the European countries, even France, UK and Germany.

Let's not talk about the US which hasn't got any speed railway system to talk about and is far behind in high speed railway systems' technology but, of course, has a major lead in other technologies smile.png

If a railway network in any country is capable of transporting many hundreds of millions of passengers in just 2 weeks (!!) -Chinese New Year- in a sophisticated railway network with trains in the very last technology, that country is copying from other countries?

Which country would that be? Which other country transports such huge amounts of people in 2 weeks ?

No other country in the world!

And, thanks to the link by another poster:

"On a closing note, China not only has the safest passenger trains, but also by far the busiest tracks. Freight density beats that of the US and Russia and passenger density beats that of any European country."

From: http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/comparative-rail-safety/

SO: let Thailand have the most sophisticated high speed railway network in SEA, ! It will benefit Thailand in a HUGE way!

• Like 2

well we know how safe is this Chinese fast train ... not sure I will ever take it to go to chiang mai ..I never trusted Chinese technology, specially when its based on copying European technology. China have faced so many accident with their made in china train ..... well if that what Thailand want .....have fun with spare parts and all the rest .

i took it between Ningbo and Shanghai last December and it was incredible. Very smooth and fast

and even a first class ticket was very cheap compared to a similar standard in Europe such as

the Eurostar.

Chinese Techonology?????? Copies or clones I would say. If they are referring to the fast trains from Shanghai...they are German Technology, The mono rail is also German Technology....the chinese only designed it slightly different to give it their Chinese touch! Chinese do not innovate...they copy!

Copies and Clones?

I've read those words thousands of times about Japan, some 30, 40 years ago and look where the Japanese are now. I never read anything anymore about copying by the Japanese. They invent and create, the same as the Chinese are doing now on a huge scale; copying is dying out in China and they KNOW they can't continue copying anymore.

People bashing China show themselves they know nothing about China or what's going on.

R&D spending is huge in China; the difference is that we hardly read anything about it in the western press.

About High-Speed train networks: there is NO other country in the entire world with such a large network with high speed trains than China.

Even Japan is behind mainland Europe and UK where Spain has the most sophisticated and largest network, above any of the European countries, even France, UK and Germany.

Let's not talk about the US which hasn't got any speed railway system to talk about and is far behind in high speed railway systems' technology but, of course, has a major lead in other technologies smile.png

If a railway network in any country is capable of transporting many hundreds of millions of passengers in just 2 weeks (!!) -Chinese New Year- in a sophisticated railway network with trains in the very last technology, that country is copying from other countries?

Which country would that be? Which other country transports such huge amounts of people in 2 weeks ?

"On a closing note, China not only has the safest passenger trains, but also by far the busiest tracks. Freight density beats that of the US and Russia and passenger density beats that of any European country."

From: http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/comparative-rail-safety/

SO: let Thailand have the most sophisticated high speed railway network in SEA, ! It will benefit Thailand in a HUGE way!

Only one small issue there: everything controlled by the Thai government will end up deadly, because they invest cheap to zero and people are just gonna die, and nobody will be held accountable because it causes those goons to save face, what a disgrace to Thai Chinese ethnics, I'm ashamed for my ethnic roots here...

Only one small issue there: everything controlled by the Thai government will end up deadly, because they invest cheap to zero and people are just gonna die, and nobody will be held accountable because it causes those goons to save face, what a disgrace to Thai Chinese ethnics, I'm ashamed for my ethnic roots here...

Hmm..."everything"? unsure.png

If everything would be everything, Thailand wouldn't be Thailand as it is and everybody would be living like a zombie.

If Thailand (or any other SEA country) wouldn't have the Thai Chinese ethnics, Thailand would be a real 3rd world country.

Look East, look West and look South of Thailand: is there any (more) prosperous country without Chinese ethnics?

I'll answer you: NO

May I remind posters that the OP has

"Thailand is planning to run Chinese-made high-speed railway systems designed to have time-saving, inexpensive trains for long-distance commuters shuttling between Bangkok and the northern city of Chiang Mai and between the capital and northeastern province of Nong Khai."

I don't want to discuss the quality of Chinese High-speed train, I know next to nothing about that. What I do know is that with a THB 500 billion investment having the Transport Minister Chatchat Sitthipan saying 'to help long-distance commuters' seems a very weak business case. I'm not even making jokes about 'completed in 2015' whereas 2018 as said a few months ago seems more likely. A more rapid improvement of the current rail system, speeding up the doubling of tracks, more safety measures, more reliable tracks which don't wash away with heavy rains, etc., etc. That seems to be much more of an improvement Thailand can benefit from. IMHO, that is.

Copies and Clones?

But Thailand doesn't have hundreds of millions of people clamouring to travel between BKK and CM with no means of getting there rapidly and cheaply. There are plenty of flights with fares as low as B1090, and capacity to increase the number of flights WITH NO COST TO THE THAI PEOPLE.

Can you think of NOTHING more deserving of half a billion dollars in this country?

Copies and Clones?

But Thailand doesn't have hundreds of millions of people clamouring to travel between BKK and CM with no means of getting there rapidly and cheaply. There are plenty of flights with fares as low as B1090, and capacity to increase the number of flights WITH NO COST TO THE THAI PEOPLE.

Can you think of NOTHING more deserving of half a billion dollars in this country?

i think its the freight thats most important

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Agree; Thailand doesn''t have to transport hundreds of millions of people since they aren't there but a few million trips, saving many hours per trip will bring a lot to LOS.

Instead sitting and waiting many hours in a train, people can do other things: work, visit family, trade etc etc.

That, next to the freight transported over large distances much faster.

Remember: if you would have told your parents or grandparents some 50 years ago that it would be possible to fly to Asia in 10-12 hours they would probably have declared anyone insane...

1 Century ago it took months for sailing ships to reach Asia.

And now? whistling.gif

High Speed trains are here to stay and become faster over time. No doubt about it, and it's good for LOS to be part of an increasing better logistical system in Asia.

Edited by LaoPo

not so much the service-or the direction, it's the cream off that is the attraction.

i would think that adding a 2nd track to enable 2 way trains, and adding frequent services - more up to date trains, without special high speed.

agree freight is more important, than the high speed passenger system.

Agree; Thailand doesn''t have to transport hundreds of millions of people since they aren't there but a few million trips, saving many hours per trip will bring a lot to LOS.

Instead sitting and waiting many hours in a train, people can do other things: work, visit family, trade etc etc.

That, next to the freight transported over large distances much faster.

Remember: if you would have told your parents or grandparents some 50 years ago that it would be possible to fly to Asia in 10-12 hours they would probably have declared anyone insane...

1 Century ago it took months for sailing ships to reach Asia.

And now? whistling.gif

High Speed trains are here to stay and become faster over time. No doubt about it, and it's good for LOS to be part of an increasing better logistical system in Asia.

You seem to be confused. HSR is a passenger service. To increase freight speed, the standard rail system needs to be upgraded.

And those that don't want to spend many hours in a train can fly. That alternative is available, could carry many times more passengers than currently, and won't cost half a billion dollars.

• Like 1

Smart move by China- selling technology and real goods to the Thais. I'm sure there would also be some freight links included so a low cost transportation option to move chinese goods to SE Asia. Might also pull the Thais a bit closer in to the Dragons hegemony. Then again, the Thais are adept at not beibng pulled in too tightly by either side, China or the USA :)

May I remind posters that the OP has

"Thailand is planning to run Chinese-made high-speed railway systems designed to have time-saving, inexpensive trains for long-distance commuters shuttling between Bangkok and the northern city of Chiang Mai and between the capital and northeastern province of Nong Khai."

I don't want to discuss the quality of Chinese High-speed train, I know next to nothing about that. What I do know is that with a THB 500 billion investment having the Transport Minister Chatchat Sitthipan saying 'to help long-distance commuters' seems a very weak business case. I'm not even making jokes about 'completed in 2015' whereas 2018 as said a few months ago seems more likely. A more rapid improvement of the current rail system, speeding up the doubling of tracks, more safety measures, more reliable tracks which don't wash away with heavy rains, etc., etc. That seems to be much more of an improvement Thailand can benefit from. IMHO, that is.

I think you make a good point about improving what they already have. Deep ballasting of the track and laying it in better geological positions where the chances of flooding are remote and doubling of the track would be the first steps to improving the current situation as to would be change the guage to standard guage ( Skytrain is already and the proposed Chineses effort would be too.) I also find it amazing that there are no major engineering works for the railway in Thailand and things need to be sent abroad to get fixed,please correct me if I am wrong on this. The current and any new tracks need to be on a more level basis to give a better ride and extend loco/vehicles using it a longer life.

Is there a will to spend the amount of money required I wonder? New trains are needed the old stuff is almost ready to sit down. Theres a lot of work here for Thailand and its work force, if they can raise the standards.

What does Thailand need trains and public transportation for?

By next year, Thai people can get cars for cheap due to the new first car policies cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif and they're gonna fill up the roads and make Bangkok the park house of South East Asia....

At a rough estimate of the costs of US$16.6 billion and using an exchange rate of 60 Thb = US$1 that equals 498,000,000,000 baht or around half a TRILLION baht

Exchange rate B60 = US$1 ??? blink.pngw00t.gif

Actually, on second read, looks like you used a multiplier of 30, not 60. Darn. I was hoping for the return of such a nice (for expats) exchange rate.

My apologies. It is simply a case of my fingers, my brain or whats left of it and my computer working on three different worlds none of which speak to the other and the eye being the utimate checker was out to lunch.

To be sure the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has actions plans for improvement of their existing rail tracks and rolling material. There is a THB 177 billion investment plan covering five years.

From 2012-09-12:

"According to the framework for construction of double tracks over 873km, acquisition of more than 70 locomotive units and 605 units of transport tracks, the SRT has to restructure its business to support the investment plan and the way to develop the rail system.

After reorganisation, it is expected that the SRT will be able to increase cargo and container transport from 11 million tonnes in 2010 to 37 million tonnes in 2020; increase the number of passengers from 48 million in 2010 to 71 million in 2020; increase the average speed from 50-60 km per hour at present to 90-100km per hour; and reduce national energy consumption worth Bt20 billion to Bt30 billion as more companies and passengers decide to choose the SRT as their mode of transport, he said."

http://www.nationmul...s-30190052.html

Now that seems a bit more useful than a high-speed train to help poor, long-distance commuters.

Another interesting page on improvements, from 2012-08-06

http://www.ttrweekly...ns-in-low-gear/

• Like 1

Ticket prices anyone?

I am waiting to learn of the price for a ticket on the "high speed train" from Bkk to Pattaya, really East Pattaya, and have as of yet to find out. Bkk people do not want to give up their cars while here, and many others will not wish to part from the cheap 124 baht bus fares.

I can only imagine the price of the Bkk - CM fare relative to the cost of the SKytrain or an airplane flight. I cannot see the price as being competitive unless the government supports it.

To the poster who wrote about links to China, absolutely. Remember All Roads Lead to Rome? Te Chinese want to be able to export in every way possible and import food which they cannot grow. The high speed trains, although not cheap like diesel trains, will serve this purpose in some form.

Any ideas on prices?

Ticket prices anyone?

I am waiting to learn of the price for a ticket on the "high speed train" from Bkk to Pattaya, really East Pattaya, and have as of yet to find out. Bkk people do not want to give up their cars while here, and many others will not wish to part from the cheap 124 baht bus fares.

I can only imagine the price of the Bkk - CM fare relative to the cost of the SKytrain or an airplane flight. I cannot see the price as being competitive unless the government supports it.

To the poster who wrote about links to China, absolutely. Remember All Roads Lead to Rome? Te Chinese want to be able to export in every way possible and import food which they cannot grow. The high speed trains, although not cheap like diesel trains, will serve this purpose in some form.

Any ideas on prices?

Well, what ever the current prices are to the relevant places, you can at least double them. Here is a link to Seat 61, http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#.UMXLN-SoySo and the BKK to Nong Khai and BKK to CM currently.

BKK-Nong Khai from 258bht to 1,317 bht

BKK-CM from 271bht to 1,453bht

I do think that this HST thing, will become another option for the rich Thai's but, the average Thai will struggle to afford it in the same way as flying. I think it will be a quick and cheaper way in to Thailand, for the Chinese to come see all their long lost cousins etc.giggle.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif Especially as Thailand does not have a problem with their passports. wink.png

The corrupt Chinese bureaucrats will get richer, the Thai government will get richer and the country ends up with a better railway system, looks like winners all round. Thais are used to road and rail carnage so a few crashes won't really faze anyone. If it performs Ok then I expect the tourists could be using it in numbers as well, see the countryside and all that.

I do think that this HST thing, will become another option for the rich Thai's but, the average Thai will struggle to afford it in the same way as flying. I think it will be a quick and cheaper way in to Thailand, for the Chinese to come see all their long lost cousins etc.giggle.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif Especially as Thailand does not have a problem with their passports. wink.png

I can see lots of Chinese bowling down to the coast on mass on cheap tickets subsidised by SRT to have holidays in sunnier climes and visit relatives there might be a spin off it works as planned but SRT needs to put its own house in order first, there is a lot of work to be done to drag it into the modern era.

I can see lots of Chinese bowling down to the coast on mass on cheap tickets subsidised by SRT to have holidays in sunnier climes and visit relatives there might be a spin off it works as planned but SRT needs to put its own house in order first, there is a lot of work to be done to drag it into the modern era.

Bold: I don't think so; only a fraction of the total Chinese tourists will come by train; the distances are simply too far away. The majority will fly. Flying time is around 2-4 hours maximum to BKK for the majority of Chinese tourists.

Ticket prices anyone?

Any ideas on prices?

Well, what ever the current prices are to the relevant places, you can at least double them. Here is a link to Seat 61, http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#.UMXLN-SoySo and the BKK to Nong Khai and BKK to CM currently.

BKK-Nong Khai from 258bht to 1,317 bht

BKK-CM from 271bht to 1,453bht

that is also a 12 to14 hour trip. at those prices for 4 hours you've got me.

Bold: I don't think so; only a fraction of the total Chinese tourists will come by train; the distances are simply too far away. The majority will fly. Flying time is around 2-4 hours maximum to BKK for the majority of Chinese tourists.

not if Thai and Yunnan Airways treat it as a chance to drop unprofitable routes.

inevitably, Thai Airways will use this as a chance to reduce their domestic service. 3flights a day from Khon Kaen packed, apparently unprofitable .

not if Thai and Yunnan Airways treat it as a chance to drop unprofitable routes.

inevitably, Thai Airways will use this as a chance to reduce their domestic service. 3flights a day from Khon Kaen packed, apparently unprofitable .

And Air Asia will then step-in, to show them how to make money, on routes which weren't profitable for the high-cost national-carrier.

For example Thai used to operate CNX-HKT once-per-day in one direction only, with a wide-bodied jet, but simply couldn't fill it on the return. So Air Asia (why not part-TG-owned Nok ?) started a daily return-run, at a lower-cost and with a smaller more-modern aircraft, then upped-it to twice-daily, and are currently rumoured to be close to thrice-daily. They make money on these short-runs when TG doesn't.

No reason to think that they can't do the same for Chinese package-holiday tourists, especially into DMK instead of overcrowded Swampy, and then into HKT or CNX ... indeed they recently started daily CNX-Macau.

If the Chinese tourist-hordes come, then Air Asia will be there to carry them ! And Thai will be playing catch-up, with Thai-Smile.

the Eurostar.

Copies and Clones?

The CCP-PRC is buying and stealing high speed train technology for two reasons. The first is to use in the PRChina itself at great risk to the life and limb of the Chinese sheeple. The second reason is to copy it to export it to sap countries such as Thailand, which, as has been pointed out repeatedly at this thread, hasn't any practical or profitable use of high speed rail technology. The people at the top of the CCP are engineers (what do engineers know about running a country anyway?) because the Boyz in Beijing want the world, the West especially, to believe that the Chinese have at long last acquired modern technology (by hook or by crook). The Thai people need to assert themselves in this matter to protect themselves against their corrupt government in collusion with the massively corrupt CCP.

The Japanese are light years ahead of the Chinese in all things in general and have been so for decades during the post war era. If Thailand wants or actually can use high speed rail technology, it can turn to Japan or to the European Union rather than to a massively corrupt fascist dictatorship in Beijing. The Japanese have done extraordinarily well despite their recent economic and financial challenges which will begin to be addressed seriously after their democratic election this month. Yes, yes, now the CCP-PRC has a bigger economy than does Japan, however, the Japanese for decades continue to have an astronomically higher income per capita, standard of living and quality of life than the CCP-PRC will ever have. (The Japanese also have the highest life expectancy of any country of the world, to include the contribution to life expectancy made by the safety and reliability of their long established high speed rail systems.)

The Boyz in Beijing need to keep their fascist noses out of Thailand, SE Asia, Asean and instead make some peace with Japan because the recent anti-Japanese riots on the Mainland have cost the PRChinese economy dearly. Contemporary Thailand and the present CCP-PRC have almost nothing in common, to include high speed train systems copied by the Chinese for export to sucker and/or corrupt governments that don't care either whether their people live or die as long as the people in power get their share of the take.

• Like 1