Proving 65K Bhat Income For Retirement Visa...

Is there an Australian here who can describe the procedure in getting an 'Income Letter' from the Embassy, when such Stat Dec is just proving one's 'Age Pension'

Does the Embassy require some form of proof of your Pension, or, do they take your word for it. Yes, I know it's a Stat.Dec, but wondering if in Bangkok they need more on paper to verify that?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi. There are a couple of agencies in Chiang Mai that can advise and assist. Much simpler and generally more cost effective! I don't think I'm allowed to name any of them here as it's seen as advertising, I think.. If I'm allowed to mention then I will, can anyone give me direction on this please? Let's see.. Assist Thai Visa is who I went to.

Edited by KravMaga

Is there an Australian here who can describe the procedure in getting an 'Income Letter' from the Embassy, when such Stat Dec is just proving one's 'Age Pension'

Does the Embassy require some form of proof of your Pension, or, do they take your word for it. Yes, I know it's a Stat.Dec, but wondering if in Bangkok they need more on paper to verify that?

If I recall correctly they do not require proof.

You could contact the embassy or one of the consulates.

Info: http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/consular.html

Hi. There are a couple of agencies in Chiang Mai that can advise and assist. Much simpler and generally more cost effective! I don't think I'm allowed to name any of them here as it's seen as advertising, I think.. If I'm allowed to mention then I will, can anyone give me direction on this please? Let's see.. Assist Thai Visa is who I went to.

Most people do not need any assistance for dealing with immigration. And certainly not cost effective to pay for something you don't need.

If you are an American, go to the US Consulate. Make an appointment for Notary services. Complete the verification of income form. You could enter any amount that you receive from the USA. That is all you need to get a Non-Immigrant Visa for one year.

I just got my annual visa renewed and I showed an income of US $ 3,800 per month. I do not bring that full amount to Thailand. That is not a requirement.

The US Consulate accepts your sworn word as the monthly income.

Good luck

It appears that the combo. income does not work everywhere. It also appears that so many are lying about their income that further proof is often being required. Save your tax records and bank statements. It may become the law of the land. We all know how important the laws are in Thailand.

If you are a citizen of the US, you have to fill in an "income Affidavit" at the US Embassy or consulate. The affidavit is a sworn, notarized statement, stating the amount of money that you are receiving each month from outside of Thailand. No proof for the Embassy is required. However, some immigration offices require proof in addition to the income affidavit when you apply for the retirement extension. So to answer your question, yes the amount that you are receiving should qualify.

However, as a previous post points out, legally you need a wotk permit if you are receiving income from performing work even if it is on the internet. But, many do it without a work permit.

P

Phuket immigration office requires Proof to back up the letter u get from the US embassy as i checked last week. Also heard Surat Thani does. For now Bangkok does not but.....

At Chonburi I've always gone in with back-up proof on income sources supporting my embassy letter claim. In the past they handed it back to me, but this last time they kept it with my other submitted documents. Not saying it's required, but it all falls under the "local officers' discretion" so it's probably better to have it rather than having to scramble to get it at the last minute.

Meaning no disrespect, but ....

You seem naive about what it takes to retire. You don't even have $26K saved, you expect to survive on 2.5K/month, and you're only 50 y.o. Do you actually think you can support yourself for the next 30 or so years on this amount of money. What about medical costs as you and your wife get older? What about when you no longer have income?

My advice ... fwiw ... is keep working until you reach a realistic retirement age with adequate retirement resources.

This is either 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or the equivalent of 65,000 baht a month in pension type of thing. Of course who gets pensions any more?

There's a lot of mistaken or misleading information being thrown out by some of the posters above....

Addressing some of those issues....

1. The 65,000 baht required for monthly income to qualify for a retirement extension from Thai Immigration inside Thailand can be from a pension, but it also can be from any variety of other sources that can be documented, including bank interest, stock dividends, real estate rents, etc etc... Pretty much anything that's an ongoing, presumably legal source of income.

2. The required income can come from a single source or multiple sources, and doesn't have to be from a person's home country. The sources of income to meet the 65,000 baht requirement can originate from any country, presumably, other than Thailand, for someone applying for a retirement extension... Since employment in Thailand is generally not permitted while on a retirement visa or extension.

3. To document the 65,000 baht requirement having been satisfied in processing a retirement extension application, Thai Immigration generally will require the applicant to provide a consulate income letter stating the applicant's annual income. Different countries' consulates in Thailand have different requirements about just what they require in order to issue such income letters. Someone planning to seek a retirement extension here should check with their nation's consulate on their specifics for the income letters.

Once the applicant has the consulate income letter in hand, in Bangkok at least, that's generally accepted as sufficient proof of income. Although, Thai Immigration always has the right to ask for additional documentation if they choose to do so. But out of the thousands and thousands of retirement extensions that are processed in Bangkok using the consulate income letters, it certainly appears that the portion where additional income documentation is required is relatively small/few. Although, it's probably a good idea to bring your documentation with you when you apply, just in case it is requested.

4. Generally, for someone renewing a retirement extension, you can apply for your new one in the final 30 days before your expiration date. So it's always a good idea to go and re-apply early/as soon as you're eligible with your local Immigration, just in case your application runs into any unexpected snags or the Immigration official is trying to follow some supposedly new rules. That way, you'll still have ample time to get things sorted out before your current extension runs out.

• Like 1

I have a non-immigrant "B" visa, which I obtained in Australia, on the basis that I might do some teaching here, but it hasn't happened. I'm simply enjoying retirement!

Can anyone sum up in a few sentences, the advantages of having 800,000 baht bank funds + pension and getting the type of visa which might be called a 'retirement visa', compared with the present visa I have and 90day trips to the border?

I am totally confused. blink.png

Is it fair to state that, within the necessary frame work of the law, requirements are scrutenized by an immigration officer in charge.

For Thai immigration it surely is worth knowing that "its up to the handling immigration officer in charge" how deep one will dig, how much documents one has to present and if he/she is in a good mood or not.

My personal experience is that if one is considered, longtime "client" all the small a and b's are overlooked.

In other words, a smooth extension of stay , providing you meet the basic requirement.....ENOUGH MONEY

For the Original poster. No Judgement...Just an observation

You are not "Retiring" you are moving to Thailand to live and work remotely. I would seriously rethink your plan, because as one pointed out you are at a very real level committing an ongoing fraud. Granted, as others have pointed out, it is victimless, and generally nobody cares, but... there will always be that fact out there. Also if you are retiring at 50 and you can't produce $26,000 even temporarily to park in a bank account for a visa application you need to reconsider. The reason the Thai Visa want's to see pension income is it is generally stable and reliable. Job income and rental income can both dissapear quickly and without warning, and without an adequate cash reserve you will be in a real bind. Again, I am not judging your situation, just observing that your plan may have some holes in it. Good luck, as long as your expectations are realistic and your attitude positiveyou will enjoy living in Thailand.

Edited by BOS2BKK

Happy New years readers..

OK..really a serious question, what is the "official Thai Govt" reason for the 800K in the bank, why was it set at that amount? I know all the other reasons..but is there an official nice Thai regulation?

whistling.gif

OK..really a serious question, what is the "official Thai Govt" reason for the 800K in the bank, why was it set at that amount? I know all the other reasons..but is there an official nice Thai regulation?

whistling.gif

yes , and why 2 people costing lower than a single 800 000 versus married 400 000 ? whistling.gif , or are they bribung US so to take their womanswink.png

regulations in EU are the opposite , more for each person to prouve.....

Edited by david555

Those married to a Thai have a valid reason to remain in Thailand with there spouse and thus the bar is lower (believe this is normal everywhere) but those on retirement are making a personal choice and it is harder (many countries would flatly not allow). Seems very normal to me.

• Like 1

Those married to a Thai have a valid reason to remain in Thailand with there spouse and thus the bar is lower (believe this is normal everywhere) but those on retirement are making a personal choice and it is harder (many countries would flatly not allow). Seems very normal to me.

Yes but careful about assuming too much logic. For example a foreigner married to a foreigner can get a "twofer" -- two foreigners for 800K. I think that special and perhaps financially illogical deal is unusual in retirement visa programs. Edited by Jingthing

"believe this is normal everywhere"

immigration in eu schengen require for each more person coming to join a eu citizen the eu citizen has enough to support , there is a basic sum , and each person more it get higher required married or not !!

humaniterian reasons or not , fact is that 2 persons costing more than 1 turn it like you like butthat is a fact, (just putting the Thai logic in question , but follow it WITH ALL clap2.gif the loopholes )

Edited by david555

I have a government superanuation pension. I took a copy of the statement with me and showed them. They did not ask me for it. The stat dec is blank and you have to write what you think Immigration in Thailand will want to see. The embassy staff member just stamped and charged me a fee. This was in February 2012.

post-126018-0-67253300-1356935947_thumb.

whistling.gif

Equals some 65,000 baht/month.

It actually fits quite well the expenses for an average retired, with a reasonable lifestyle.

whistling.gif

It actually fits quite well the expenses for an average retired, with a reasonable lifestyle.

And this might suggest that a" married to Thai "has a lower reasonable lifestyle", so he only must show 40 000 bht incomewink.png

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

whistling.gif

And this might suggest that a" married to Thai "has a lower reasonable lifestyle", so he only must show 40 000 bht incomewink.png

See lopburi3's explanation:

»Those married to a Thai have a valid reason to remain in Thailand with there spouse and thus the bar is lower (believe this is normal everywhere) but those on retirement are making a personal choice and it is harder (many countries would flatly not allow). Seems very normal to me.«

The Thai wife may also have an income.

whistling.gif

Also, with an income of 65,000 baht/month most people can afford some level of health insurance or at least accident insurance and not become a burden to the government medical system, which is obligated to provide emergency care for humanitarian reasons.

whistling.gif

Also, with an income of 65,000 baht/month most people can afford some level of health insurance or at least accident insurance and not become a burden to the government medical system, which is obligated to provide emergency care for humanitarian reasons.

Perhaps, but to be clear there is no requirement to have 65K INCOME per month. Actually, there is no requirement to have even ONE BAHT of income per year.

OP maybe I have missed something here in you asking about retirement extension after a suitable visa is obtained but if your wife is Thai and you are legally married what is wrong with getting a marrage extension. 400.000 baht and paperwork etc half the price.smile.png

In addition I believe it is possible to obtain a work permit with a marriage extension, unlike with a retirement extension.

whistling.gif

Perhaps, but to be clear there is no requirement to have 65K INCOME per month. Actually, there is no requirement to have even ONE BAHT of income per year.

...not what the Thai Immigration site says.

I think he was referring to the 800K baht option.

The rules only call out for proof income not that income is actually being used.

Aso the rules do not say that you need proof that the income has to come from outside Thailand.

Edited by ubonjoe

Quite interesting, but has there been a valid, reason, why the amount is set at 800K.. The marriage situation, retirement options is set at 400K is that right mod?

Happy holidays, stay off the roads..at night especially.