The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Quite some time before they closed, one of the owners chatted with me about the pastrami and at that time he said they were in final negotiations to contract out the pastrami production to a provider in Malaysia.  I quietly wondered if that would result in a lesser quality.  I didn't often have a pastrami sandwich.  When I would order other random sandwiches, I was always satisfied.  Toward the end, I tended to order the pepperoni/cheese calzones, which I *really* liked.  I think some people looked at the menu and thought the prices were too high, but I always thought the quality supported the price.  I look forward to see what the place becomes next.

Me too but it definitely won't be another Pastrami and Rye. I think good breakfasts and burgers are likely.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Me too but it definitely won't be another Pastrami and Rye. I think good breakfasts and burgers are likely.

I noticed bamboo cane poles lined up completely across the front deck area today.  Perhaps they are decorating and designing for a Hawaiian type theme as mentioned before?  Time will tell I guess.

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Like 1

I noticed bamboo cane poles lined up completely across the front deck area today.  Perhaps they are decorating and designing for a Hawaiian type theme as mentioned before?  Time will tell I guess.

My guess is that's just branding for fun. No chance it will be a Hawaiian food place. More general American for sure. But it would be cool to have a place to get poke.

• Like 2

I got a chance to try that new Udon place at Big C Pattaya Klang. The noodles themselves were great. They better be. I had the Tom yum flavor. OK but the meat was pretty crappy including fake crab and some kind of processed ham thingie that they couldn't pay me to eat. I saw fried foods just sitting there. Yuck. But I guess depending on what you order they probably fry up fresh sometimes. I'd eat there again for different noodle dishes but wouldn't make a special trip.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My guess is that's just branding for fun. No chance it will be a Hawaiian food place. More general American for sure. But it would be cool to have a place to get poke.

Isn't Hawaian food mostly deep fried spam?

I once stayed in a hotel in Vegas; there is big, very big, enormous, then there's Hawaian.

Hawaiian Poke is a food trend that happened in the U.S. since I've lived there.

Much as I'd like a good Poke joint here, I wouldn't bet much on it working in this market. Maybe in 10 years. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/poke-will-be-the-next-big-food-trend-2016-1/#like-many-hawaiian-exports-pok-is-on-the-cusp-of-hittingit-big-on-the-mainland-already-a-mainstay-in-the-los-angeles-dining-scene-pok-spots-are-popping-up-all-around-new-york-city-1

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/06/01/the-raw-truth-about-poke-this-seasons-hottest-food-trend/

Edited by Jingthing

When I mentioned “Hawaiian” earlier I was referring to a previous poster’s comment of the possible name change to “Big Kahuna”. Hopefully it refers to burgers, not Hawaiian Food. If it’s more American more than Hawaiian that would be okay.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/9/2017 at 12:51 PM, bleble said:

Cheese is fake cheese, cheap vegan cheese without milk.

An earlier comment referring to Sizzler.   

I was not surprised to learn recently that Minor Food Group which holds the Sizzler franchise in Thailand and also owns The Pizza Company etc. etc. owns the largest cheese factory in Thailand.  They produce all the cheeses for their own restaurant and also sell cheese to other restaurants and food processors.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollys on Soi Boukheaw and its adjacent Pisstop bar are both closed indefinitely according to signs on the rain screens. This may well be do do with news headlines last week.

On a brighter note it appears that The Butchers Arms is nearly ready to re-open after a refurb and is looking very smart.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I got a chance to try that new Udon place at Big C Pattaya Klang. The noodles themselves were great. They better be. I had the Tom yum flavor. OK but the meat was pretty crappy including fake crab and some kind of processed ham thingie that they couldn't pay me to eat. I saw fried foods just sitting there. Yuck. But I guess depending on what you order they probably fry up fresh sometimes. I'd eat there again for different noodle dishes but wouldn't make a special trip.

You can ask them to fry a fresh one for you, too bad the menu is very limited, but I saw some of the 'express' branch like this in Bangkok Food court and they had different menu, so hopefully it's on a rotation, their nearest 'proper' full-format restaurant is in Robinson mall in SriRacha, not really worth a trip though

• Like 1

Also just noticed next to the Udon place in Big C Extra FoodCourt is a new? stall with various kinds of Naan and Biryani (not the Thai styled ones) run and served by middle eastern looking gentlemen, haven't tried it yet but will report back soon

• Like 1

Also just noticed next to the Udon place in Big C Extra FoodCourt is a new? stall with various kinds of Naan and Biryani (not the Thai styled ones) run and served by middle eastern looking gentlemen, haven't tried it yet but will report back soon

I noticed that but would be surprised if it's very good.

11 hours ago, digbeth said:

Not the Indian Guy who used to work at Fishermans ?

This was a few minutes ago.  Burger King and Sizzler crowded.
A lot less foodies here I guess.
Too bad it is good.
20171219_180549.thumb.jpg.d3294887d77f9961e145ef73cbbfecae.jpg
I had it once was average at best in my opinion I would rather have have a Thai dish for 40-60THB, or pay more and have something In the Burgur king or Sizzler price range. It's not worth the extra for a bit of chicken and noodles.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just now, juice777 said:

I had it once was average at best in my opinion I would rather have have a Thai dish for 40-60THB, or pay more and have something In the Burgur king or Sizzler price range. It's not worth the extra for a bit of chicken and noodles.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes,  understood.

Went by there again about 25 minutes ago not one single customer in the entire place.  

The Bangkok location at T21 usually has a wait line.

I think if they moved to the new T21 here they could do much better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Too bad it is good.

20171219_180549.jpg

I have been past there a couple of times lately and they have had no custom. I won't go eat in an empty restaurant for several reasons, notably because I doubt the food will be fresh.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2017 at 12:10 AM, champers said:

Isn't Hawaian food mostly deep fried spam?

No, there's also spam musubi.  :laugh:

Seriously, though, in Hawaii you'll find lots of ono food like kaluha pork, lomi lomi salmon, chcken long rice, and even poi.  Granted that last one is more of an acquired taste.  Try eating at a Zippy's some time for some great comfort food, Hawaiian style.  Or, if near Waikiki, KC Drive Inn for a waffle dog with peanut butter milk shake.  Shakah brah!

That said, I don't see much of a market for such food in Thailand.

20 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Too bad it is good.

20171219_180549.jpg

When they give you a ticket with queue number that probably start counting since they start service for lunch, in the evening, I got a ticket with as low as 20, can't imagine a place that size only having less than 20 customers for the whole day!

58 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Looks good.      Could you be a bit more specific with the directions?    Thanks.

A German restaurant with a friendly staff and an owner with good prices on their food.  I had the Schnitzel with gravy and mushrooms, my friend had the Currywurst (small size), both priced about 149 baht apiece, not bad imho.  Very tasty, well presented and fairly priced.  The Schnitzel was very tender and very delicious as was the sausage, definitely authentic German food. 

I got the fried potatoes as french fries can be obtained about anywhere, and the other dish had potato salad.  The potato salad was outstanding and memorable.  It had a cream sauce which I couldn't id but it was excellent, not the usual mustard additive that usually is added to potato salad.  The fried potatoes were very good also but that potato salad was extraordinary.

A smaller place but nearly fully packed at about 11:30am so it's a popular place.  Located on 60 Moo 10, Soi Khao Talo, Pattaya (Darkside).  I'll gladly return for more great food.

LL4A4172.jpg

LL4A4173.jpg

LL4A4177.jpg

LL4A4178.jpg

• Like 1