Too Much Time On Facebook ' Can Harm Your Child's Mental Health'

webfact

Parents warned on social media overuse

Wannapa Khaopa

The Nation

Too much time on Facebook 'can harm your child's mental health'

BANGKOK: -- We, as people living in today's world loaded with information and technology, face a serious challenge from the use of information technology (IT) at work and even in everyday life. IT is expected to have a beneficial role in people's lives. A researcher warned that instead, children's overuse of social media could affect their physical and mental health.

In a recent interview with The Nation, Amornwich Nakhonthap, adviser to the Ramajitti Institute and research chief of the Child Watch Project, cited a presentation by Larry D. Rosen, PhD, professor of psychology at California State University.

At the 2011 Annual Convention of the American Psychological Associa-tion (APA), Rosen warned that frequent overuse of social media could cause mental illnesses in young people - for example bipolar disorder, which was an alternate emotional state between mania and depression, a symptom related to delusions and hallucinations.

Rosen's study showed that frequent Facebook use among teens correlates only with narcissism - but for young adults, it can indicate signs of many disorders, including narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder.

Rosen told the convention that teens who are heavier Facebook users often show more narcissistic tendencies, while young adults who have a strong Facebook presence show more signs of other psychological disorders, including antisocial behaviour, mania and aggressive tendencies. The professor also found that daily overuse of media and technology has a negative effect on the health of all children, preteens and teenagers, by causing them to be more prone to anxiety, depression, and other psychological disorders, as well as by making them more susceptible to future health problems.

Facebook can be distracting and can negatively impact learning. Studies found that middle school, high school and college students who checked Facebook at least once during a 15-minute study period achieved lower grades.

"Thai children aged eight to 18 spend about eight hours daily watching television, using cellphones or playing on the computer, although experts say children, especially those in primary school, should spend no more than two hours per day on any of these activities," Amornwich said, adding that Thailand had not paid enough attention to the problem.

And, since children's lack of life skills could lead to bigger problems when they grow up, he urged relevant agencies to take serious action on such vulnerable issues. "For years, we've heard that Thai children lack life skills, but agencies have not coped with this problem seriously," he said.

According to a survey by his Child Watch Project, the life skills they lack include being wise consumers who read food labels before buying or eating; knowing how to prevent sexually transmitted diseases; concern for their own safety by always wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle; and being able to control their temper.

"This shows us that our families, communities and schools are failing to foster such important awareness in our children. Last year, they tried to increase children's academic achievement, but it was only part of the success for the young people," said Amornwich.

The project's survey also found that students with low performance have been found to have low self-esteem, leading to risky behaviour; and children who are not living with their parents are more prone to risky, undesirable behaviour than those raised by their parents. Thailand has around 7 million families where children are cared for by a single parent and grandparents, which leads to many child problems. Risky and unwanted behaviour includes drinking, smoking, drug addiction, unwanted pregnancy, gambling, fighting and bullying.

"Teachers should not ignore students with low academic achievements - or what we call students at the back of the classroom - otherwise they will be like a ticking time bomb, becoming bad adults and causing bigger problems to society. It is necessary that schools and communities pay attention to them and inspire or motivate them to study to prevent them from becoming risk factors.

"Our project will push forward a campaign encouraging stakeholders to seriously address such problems. I will also propose the government to make the family its national agenda," added Amornwich.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

Facebook can be distracting and can negatively impact learning. Studies found that middle school, high school and college students who checked Facebook at least once during a 15-minute study period achieved lower grades.

Only once every 15 minutes?

My students only check once per lesson but that once is a two and a half hour check.

Seriously, I have some students who simply can't go more than two or three minutes without checking Facebook on their mobiles. I don't know how many phones I have confiscated, despite my strict warnings at the beginning of each semester.

For some of them Facebook is their life.

I try to introduce them to Thai visa which is far more interesting than Facebook tongue.png but they don't seem to be interested.

Edited by petedk

It's a pity people don't realise that FB is tracking and profiling every thing they do, google aren't much better, they track your internet activity - if you think your surfing is private you need to do a little research, many governments are taking FB to court over privacy issues, clearing cookies etc helps but why should you have too ?

We have some coworkers who now prefer to spend time on facebook etc., rather than any face to face communications. Some of them, at meetings are very uncomfortable when pushed to contribute to real work discussions. Not healthy.

IMHO there are other concerns about fb and similar social media, security of personal information (all tracked), but much more important - personal safety and security.

One example: I'm aware of one school in Thailand where a very young teacher for 'computer' used fb as a lesson in using computers / internet usage etc., she had Primary 2 students (about 6 to 7.5 years old) all start up personal fb accounts, all with photos and full details of age, full address, own or parents mobile phone no., etc. Several young girls included that they like dancing.

You guessed it, lots of return mail messages and phone calls (some picked up by horrified parents), with things like 'can I come to your house', 'do you want to meet me for an ice cream', 'can you do some dancing for me', etc.

Numerous parents made a hasty combined visit to the principal and voiced their strong anger. Principal was also shocked and told the young teacher to ensure that all of these accounts were removed within a few hours and to never do anything like this again.

Young teacher cannot understand what's wrong.

Edited by scorecard

coffee1.gif ..yeah...and video- games, that pesky beat- music, Marilyn Manson, smoking behind the parking lot....

Same same as everywhere!

If all those educators would spend as much time in responsibly teaching and educating about new media as they are constantly moaning about it and demonizing it, I guess it might benefit everybody!

Saying it's not healthy is a bit like trying to convince the kids in rural Thailand that chips,soda and other convenience store crap found in the local village shop is good for your future health.

Just one observation from experience with some coworkers who now prefer to spend time on facebook etc., rather than in face to face communicatios, not healthy,

Many times in local restaurants I have witnessed a group of Thai's arrive and share a table. After ordering their food the adults and kids all produce various electronic devises and start chatting away on facebook completely ignoring each other. They finish their meal, put the devises away and go home where presumably, the devises are produced again and the chatting continues - would it not be better if they tried communicating in the real world - they just might get to know each other!

• Like 1

One more comment, I would also suggest that all the Thai BS that is driven into the kids at assembly is also unhealthy and does nothing to educate them for today and tomorrow's world.

Teachers must teach not brainwash the kids! But really they are not capable of doing that.

The mine site I am on in Indo ,you can only access facebook between 7 pm and 7 am, otherwise nothing would get done and Youtube is not available at all.Social media has an annoying habit of invading the personal side of life, just check out the H.K. mtr system at rush hour , what a life style those people live .coffee1.gif

Just one observation from experience with some coworkers who now prefer to spend time on facebook etc., rather than in face to face communicatios, not healthy,

Many times in local restaurants I have witnessed a group of Thai's arrive and share a table. After ordering their food the adults and kids all produce various electronic devises and start chatting away on facebook completely ignoring each other. They finish their meal, put the devises away and go home where presumably, the devises are produced again and the chatting continues - would it not be better if they tried communicating in the real world - they just might get to know each other!

saw from my eyes in a young man and a girl in a date in an expensive HIP restaurant in Sukhumvit, they sat down and then turned away into their own devices, occasionally real chat happened. my question was - why they pay for this date ?

learnt from my students that some even tap on their mobiles while they are dancing in a club !

When was the last time you ever saw books in a Thai home? Or the rare sighting of a Thai reading on BTS or a bus? So Facebook and other social media pervasive use is probably an advance for Thais. If it never happened, they'd probably be in a game arcade or doing Gameboy or Donkey Kong, hanging out around 7-11s or gang banging around. So all in all, social media, and especially Facebook, is a big leap forward for Thais.

• Like 1

When was the last time you ever saw books in a Thai home? Or the rare sighting of a Thai reading on BTS or a bus? So Facebook and other social media pervasive use is probably an advance for Thais. If it never happened, they'd probably be in a game arcade or doing Gameboy or Donkey Kong, hanging out around 7-11s or gang banging around. So all in all, social media, and especially Facebook, is a big leap forward for Thais.

But...but...

0025920_300.jpeg

• Like 2

Not only is it the school kids that are addicted, on many occasions I have witness couple or friends at dinner all texting but not actually having a discussion verbally. No one looks up, no one speak and definitely no conversation happening. I have banned phones during meal times, it stays in your pocket or bag for the entire time. Mobile phones are killing the art of verbal conversation

• Like 1

I thought Thai politicians loved the fact that the average Thai doesn't think so that they can get on with raping the country for their own bank accounts.

Not them all, but many of them adopt this philosophy originating in China, to keep the mass stupid so as they, and their families can benefit.

Not only is it the school kids that are addicted, on many occasions I have witness couple or friends at dinner all texting but not actually having a discussion verbally. No one looks up, no one speak and definitely no conversation happening. I have banned phones during meal times, it stays in your pocket or bag for the entire time. Mobile phones are killing the art of verbal conversation

you have banned phones?

to whom does this ban apply?

Too Much Time On Facebook 'Can Harm Your Child's Mental Health'

An oxymoron?

Should not a Thai child's mental state be "healthy" to begin with, before it can be classified as being harmed? What with the plethora of articles lamenting the behaviors and and woes of Thai children, I would hardly classify Thai children as being in a positive state of mental health, according to my own standards, and the standards of the International community.

There is no "can" in this satirical article; only "already has been". Any increase is after the fact, and the Thais, including this pompous fool have yet again missed the boat with their "can" attitude.

His solution? To push forward and to propose. Well hey there K.whatsyourname, wake up and smell the roses. The queue to push forward and propose is so dam_n long that you are running out of time before your amazing ideas are ever heard by another pompous fool. Or, you already knew that and simply had to let us know that you are a pusher and proposer of amazing ideas that we already know about?

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Rosen's study showed that frequent Facebook use among teens correlates only with narcissism - but for young adults, it can indicate signs of many disorders, including narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder.

No <deleted>, vary narcissistic, look at any Asian girls FB page and it is nothing but pictures they have taken of themselves with their mobile phones. My students frequently take pictures of themselves.

Its good to see al those old-timers complaining, now its Facebook before it was rock and roll. Its funny, i don't use Facebook but i use my smartphone a lot times are changing either get with it or stay behind. Even my dad got a smart phone. Too much of anything is always bad, same goes for Facebook but its certainly more healthy then the hobby of many of the contributors here on thaivisa (alcohol consumption) just to put it in perspective.

• Like 1