Got Pulled Over By The Honest Thai Police

kevvy

was driving along the highway and was in left land doing 95km. up ahead was two patrol cars stop and they were pulling over cars . by the time i got to them there was no cars so they pulled me over. I was told I was speeding and the fine was 200 baht if you pay now or 400/1000baht to go and pay at the station.He asked for my licence which I showed him my Thai one .My wife was going for her purse and I said no , tell him I will go to the station so she did.Well, the look on his face said it all!! He said the station was 30 minutes away and I should pay here I said no , so he thought for a couple of minutes and spoke to my wife and then he said sorry to me and shook my hand !. I know this happens in this country , but I just wanted to see if I challenged it what would happen . Has anyone else tried to taken by these honest cops

• Like 1

Yep happened to me on the way up to Khon Kaen got stopped at the top of the mountain on hiway 2 at korat BiB played hard ball told my wife he wanted 400 baht now or Big trouble, i kept calm looked at him and told my wife to tell him we were not speeding as he said and will wait here until his Boss would see us after a 25 min wait we were on our way, Amazing Thailand i guess it's there only perk but if you have the time play hard ball back........................of course if your not guilty..............................

My GPS records my speed record ... so I can say look ... I havent exceeded X Km/Hr for the last Y Kms . On a trip I reset it if I have accidentally exceeded the speed limit. Anyway If the limit is 110Km/Hr I usually drive 100-105.

• Like 2

Same here been pulled over for turning right into a soi that was forbidden. Went to pay at the station, I was wrong so paid. Once stopped 3am in the city, totally wasted from the whiskey, they didn't even bother to ask a licence and let me go because I was a farrang. So it depends where and when and which cop you meet.

even if he was speeding, the money should not go in the pocket of the police, wake up.

I would rather go to the station and pay 10000 bht then put 200bht in his hand.

thats how its bad exactly mrhammer.

No one is taking your option to do that away by allowing the other people who don't want to do that the option to pay on the spot , I would suspect most people would actually prefer to pay on the spot for less if they were doing something wrong . As I have pointed out before your option to have them write you a ticket and go to court is not taken away by having other options as well.

The system has it's pro's and con's ..... I don't feel like getting into a long disscusion about it but it does.

Because you would prefer it your way and not allow people to pay on the spot or basicly change the way police are funded doesn't mean it's "bad" , it just means you don't like it.

You are another example of people who are not even all that effcted by what you call bad but want to end it for those who might prefer it. In your case you say you would always just have them write you a ticket and go to court , fine the present system allows for that and you get what you want ....... What you also want is for everyone else to have to do it your way against thier desires even though their doing that has little effect on you being allowed to do what you want. You can make some valid arguments about how everything would change for the better and be less "coruption" and all , I understand that opinion , however in the end all you have accomplished is making everyone else pay 5 times more for their tickets and have to find a new way (increased taxes) to fund the police ........... Even though all the while you were getting exactly what you wanted and so was most everyone else.

.People who chose to pay the 1 or 200 bht instead of going to court when they are innocent have themselves to blame not the system which allows for them not to do that. The arguments that they would lose because it's a Thai court and all that nonsense fall on deaf ears with me because they never went to court to even find that out, and also because the same baloney argument would apply in the US or any other place as it pertains to cops and courts.

My overall point is that you don't want to change a "bad" system for the benefit of yourself or everyone else , you just want to make everyone else do it your way , which would cost them more in tickets. police funding and incon\vience and wouldn't really be better at all just different , more expensive and inconvient. Why ? Because you are not trying to make the system actually better you just figure since you want to pay more and be inconvienced everyone else should be as well ....... Sorry but it's true

Edited by MrRealDeal

I once got stopped after doing 140km/h and they knew and the polite and very good English speaking highway police man said: 110 is ok but 140 isen't, 200 bath and we forget all about it.

Off-course I paid the 200 bath and drove on and thought; man if this was in Denmark it would have cost me min. 30 times more.

Never got stopped for doing nothing wrong so far.

I many times get stopped on the 36 road Pattaya - Rayong mostly for passing slow driving trucks.

Usually the conversation goes like this

Officer : you driving right side

Me : Of course, have to pass slow truck

Officer : But you can not drive right side

Me : What you suggest, I jump over the trucks ?

Officer : You have driving license

Me : yes and showing it while holding it with both hands.

At that point the officer will attempt to take it from me at which point I pull back with the words, MY driver license you can look but this is my driver license.

In 99% of the cases the officer will look at me with the expression on his face, Jeez this guy is a pain in the arse, and without any words he will make a sign that I should move on. laugh.pnglaugh.png

• Like 1

I once got stopped after doing 140km/h and they knew and the polite and very good English speaking highway police man said: 110 is ok but 140 isen't, 200 bath and we forget all about it.

Off-course I paid the 200 bath and drove on and thought; man if this was in Denmark it would have cost me min. 30 times more.

Never got stopped for doing nothing wrong so far.

I got pulled over once for passing on the right ..... ok fine ......2 km later I got pulled over for passing on the left ...... I was probabbly over the legal drinking limit and had no valid license so I didn't complain much ..... obviously the first guy radioed to the second guy because he knew I would pay ..... The second guy told me just don't pass anyone on either side and you won't get another ticket today ! ......... Fair unfair , corrupt or not ..... don't know and don't care, all I know is 200 bht for driving over the limit , passing on the wrong side at least once, and having no license, was a bargin and I was happy to pay and be on my way.

even if he was speeding, the money should not go in the pocket of the police, wake up.

I would rather go to the station and pay 10000 bht then put 200bht in his hand.

thats how its bad exactly mrhammer.

No one is taking your option to do that away by allowing the other people who don't want to do that the option to pay on the spot , I would suspect most people would actually prefer to pay on the spot for less if they were doing something wrong . As I have pointed out before your option to have them write you a ticket and go to court is not taken away by having other options as well.

The system has it's pro's and con's ..... I don't feel like getting into a long disscusion about it but it does.

Because you would prefer it your way and not allow people to pay on the spot or basicly change the way police are funded doesn't mean it's "bad" , it just means you don't like it.

You are another example of people who are not even all that effcted by what you call bad but want to end it for those who might prefer it. In your case you say you would always just have them write you a ticket and go to court , fine the present system allows for that and you get what you want ....... What you also want is for everyone else to have to do it your way against thier desires even though their doing that has little effect on you being allowed to do what you want. You can make some valid arguments about how everything would change for the better and be less "coruption" and all , I understand that opinion , however in the end all you have accomplished is making everyone else pay 5 times more for their tickets and have to find a new way (increased taxes) to fund the police ........... Even though all the while you were getting exactly what you wanted and so was most everyone else.

.People who chose to pay the 1 or 200 bht instead of going to court when they are innocent have themselves to blame not the system which allows for them not to do that. The arguments that they would lose because it's a Thai court and all that nonsense fall on deaf ears with me because they never went to court to even find that out, and also because the same baloney argument would apply in the US or any other place as it pertains to cops and courts.

My overall point is that you don't want to change a "bad" system for the benefit of yourself or everyone else , you just want to make everyone else do it your way , which would cost them more in tickets. police funding and incon\vience and wouldn't really be better at all just different , more expensive and inconvient. Why ? Because you are not trying to make the system actually better you just figure since you want to pay more and be inconvienced everyone else should be as well ....... Sorry but it's true

you just wrote a whole post, a very long one on what you think i want and think, how about writing my biography now.

i was simply pointing out to mister hammer who said whats wrong with the police offering a discount,that i think it wrong. you yourself in your rant said its wrong although has its benefits.

i never said others cant pay, did i say that, i said i wont but i never said others cannot do it, but i forgot your telling me what i think now, thats enough writing now you fill in the rest for me.

I agree, MR real deals was a little long winded. could have said the same thing in just a few words...

"muythai, you want everything to be like in the west..cannot...TiT giggle.gif

Living here in Pattaya i have been stopped twice for traffic offenses,both times i was in the wrong and both times i was ticketed and had to go to the station to pay the fine ,i was never asked for a bribe , that has only happened once and in was in BKK.

Dashcam is a must here, turn it to the bib's head when he comes to you.

Well, said: where do i get one for bike in pattaya or bkk ?

A must for a sensible person or for someone who wants to spend more on a camera than on the 5 or 10 , 100 bht fines they might get ? Why stop there just get a helmet cam and all your problems will be solved. cheesy.gif

I got stopped at well over 200kmh on my motorcycle racing another bike just north of Lampang (first long straight after the mountain).

Told to go talk to the Policeman sitting in a little bus shelter. He asked the other Policeman what speed I was doing and he looked at a clipboard and said 200.

They gave me an on the spot fine of 200baht and gave me a paper receipt.

As I was getting back on the bike, the Policeman said to keep the paper. I asked why? he said if I get caught again further down the road I can show I paid already.

So, I basically had a license to ride as fast as I wanted. So, I did.

• Like 1

My experience on the northern bits of the Mitrapharp, the Highway cops have set up an 'office' beside the traffic stop where you get out of the car, get invited to sit while they write up an official ticket, pay the full fine and get a receipt. There is no attempt to negotiate or chit chat by the 'grunt' pulling you over as there's always a more senior cop actually dishing out the tickets. Further south, there are still the cowboys who can't be arsed to write up a ticket and just ask for the cash, usually heavily discounted. I challenge neither as it isn't worth waiting 25 minutes waiting or any other aggravation as most times, I have been going too fast.

The primary reason i want a bike mounted is that i want a 'charge while record' cam,

so do you have anything to add ?

I would only add that I have no clue if you mean charge to mean you want the bike to power the cam, or the cam to record a policeman charging you with a crime ...... either way calling it a must is another exaguration of life in Thailand ..... I don't remember if that was you or the other guy.

I don't know if it's usual or not ... I know that due to the lack of computerasation the policy is there , but I can tell you that my wife right or wrong will not let them have it, and demand a ticket and drive away with her license yelling like a crazed Farang that she knows police in high places !

Edited by MrRealDeal

I got stopped at well over 200kmh on my motorcycle racing another bike just north of Lampang (first long straight after the mountain).

Told to go talk to the Policeman sitting in a little bus shelter. He asked the other Policeman what speed I was doing and he looked at a clipboard and said 200.

They gave me an on the spot fine of 200baht and gave me a paper receipt.

As I was getting back on the bike, the Policeman said to keep the paper. I asked why? he said if I get caught again further down the road I can show I paid already.

So, I basically had a license to ride as fast as I wanted. So, I did.

that happen to me,i actually got stopped a second time,further on in my journey.after waving my first fine at him he shouted to someone,allready got ticket,okay no proplem was the answer,waved on, TIT.