When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

If you are here on NON-immigrant status or lesser, as far as the Immigration Police are concerned we are all in the same boat in that we all lack SECURITY in our right to RESIDE in Thailand. It makes no difference how we FEEL. The status remains the same. I feel stuff too. What I feel is that immigration rules for those lacking permanent residence status are DESIGNED to make us not feel not too comfortable. I take the message. You don't have to. I do reside in Thailand and have no other non-virtual established residence in any other country. So it's as close as a home that I've got right now. But I can't ignore the legal status REALITY.

You make some valid points mate but that's all part of the dance to me. It is what it is, I don't dwell on it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as "happiness" is concerned, that's a fleeting, abstract, individual concept. Different people have very different temperaments. Some might feel "happier" embracing the feeling that Thailand is their real home and others may feel happier keeping the more sobering facts of our legal status closer to the surface. Don't assume you know what works for OTHER people. Also don't assume the people who feel fully at home here are necessarily a happier class of people than those who don't. In real life, each person has many complex factors going on that add up to their feelings of so called happiness.

Edited by Jingthing

As far as "happiness" is concerned, that's a fleeting, abstract, individual concept. Different people have very different temperaments. Some might feel "happier" embracing the feeling that Thailand is their real home and others may feel happier keeping the more sobering facts of our legal status closer to the surface. Don't assume you know what works for OTHER people. Also don't assume the people who feel fully at home here are necessarily a happier class of people than those who don't. In real life, each person has many complex factors going on that add up to their feelings of so called happiness.

That's deep that mate.

The topic is "When will you call Thailand your home". biggrin.png

• Like 2

That's deep that mate.

The topic is "When will you call Thailand your home". biggrin.png

Read the OP. He suggests feeling at home here as an assumed, shared path to contentment (same as happiness). I find that idea very presumptuous.

As i have said before already, home is where you suppose to feel safe and secure.

Some posters, including myself, clearly do not feel safe and secure about the fact that our visa or extension of stay can be cancelled or changed at any time.

Some, call it home because the benefits they see, but that was not the question, Benefit would be appropriate when you discussing what keeps you in the country.

Some seem to think that their status is safe, so perhaps those who do not tried to point out the FACT that it is not safe and it will never be safe, until they become citizens.

Some call it home and yet do not speak any Thai, how is it possible to be at home and not being able to communicate?

Some call it home and yet can never own their own house, yes can a condo(but again for now, things could change)

Some call it home, and yet do not realize that they are referred to as "an alien" in all official documents.

While some may consider Thailand home, Thailand does not consider them to be at home and shows it in a number of ways.

Sure if some want to feel at home, it is their choice, but failing to see the facts is not exactly a way justify their feelings

There are trouble spots all over the world that are at war, subject to terror attacks and plagued by natural disasters; and yet people consider them home. You only speak for yourself. Home is different things to different people.

Those are the facts, like it or not.

Not really but run with it if it helps.

"Crack Downs"

Crack downs on abuse of existing laws are called enforcing existing laws.

Countless threads? As in internet claims? Folks turned away? I know none.

Visa runs have been changed? Oh you mean the cheap charlies who make runs all the time so not to show money in the bank?

As in trying to stretch a tourist visa into a legit stay? Yeah I hope they crack that down even harder smile.png

Even in the US a sponsor of a green card non citizen has to show financial proof.

Why should Thailand be burdened by those who cannot show they have the means to stay?

Changes to ED visa's? Another crack down on folks who abused the crap out of that one

No changes to marriage requirements I know of & I am here based on marriage.

etc etc etc

PS: I have absolutely no problem with you not calling Thailand home.

I only take exception to wild claims as to why others should not if they choose to.

Well enforcing is rather a loose term, do not you agree? if you gave money to your wife to buy land, thats not really breaking the law is it?

If you bought house through a company to feel like at home, is also breaking the law?

You see where i am going with this?

It is not relevant if the 30 day runs were aimed at cheap chariles, because they also called Thailand home, only they chose to do visa run every 30 days, while someone else chose to report to immigration every 90 days.

You say burden to Thailand,, only Thailand does not have social system and even if it did you would not be qualified to receive any benefits, just as you are not now entitled to get 30 baht medical or 100 000 tax rebate no matter what visa you hold.

As i also said, i have no problem with people calling Thailand home, but failing to see that their status is not perm nor it is stable from the government point of view my only disagreement.

We were in a restaurant in Chiang Rai when the manager started to talk to us. He asked me where I came from. I said Phayao. My wife laughed. I now live here and do consider my home as Thailand. I have a family here so that is where I consider home is.

"...failing to see that their status is not perm nor it is stable from the government point of view my only disagreement."

I can't remember the whole thread - is there anyone here that did that?

As can be seen by explicit comments I've made, that certainly doesn't apply to me and I'll go one step further: I mentioned that I think it would suck to desire to stay here a long time and do so, all the while feeling that it wasn't your home and never would be...well, it also sucks to feel it is your home (for reasons I stated previously (and not even the most presumptuous or judgmental of folks have tried to refute as they are irrefutable)and all the while have the feeling that I mentioned previously - a lack of security in its permanence.

But to be redundant - that doesn't mean I can't call it home or don't have cause to.

There are a few persons that have made up their mind and have become Citizens of Thailand, as other nationalities have become Australian Citizens last Australia day. A lot have nothing and no ties back in their country. But the rest are deluding themselves if they call Thailand home. Me personally have been living here as a Retiree for 10 yrs, but as the song goes, I still call Australia home and go back at least twice a year. However as my mother is now ill in OZ I have had to come back with my Thai wife and look after her and now the time in Thialand has come down to 2 months a year. These are things that come up and may in some of your cases as well.

There are a few persons that have made up their mind and have become Citizens of Thailand, as other nationalities have become Australian Citizens last Australia day. A lot have nothing and no ties back in their country. But the rest are deluding themselves if they call Thailand home. Me personally have been living here as a Retiree for 10 yrs, but as the song goes, I still call Australia home and go back at least twice a year. However as my mother is now ill in OZ I have had to come back with my Thai wife and look after her and now the time in Thialand has come down to 2 months a year. These are things that come up and may in some of your cases as well.

On retirement status here, there is no path to citizenship or even permanent residence. I would definitely be interested in permanent residence in ANY country I had retired to. Thailand simply doesn't welcome us enough to offer any path at all. Some retirement visa offering countries do. In case I do eventually choose a third country (not Thailand and not my home country) the offer of permanent residency status will be on the top of my list. I had other reasons to move here when I did and other reasons to stay. Just saying if I leave, I'm more aware of the issue. I was aware before moving here, but it has become more real experiencing it.

Don't get me wrong. The retirement offering here is a mixed bag. It's got its pros and cons. But lack of a path towards permanent residence is a HUGE con.

Edited by Jingthing

"...failing to see that their status is not perm nor it is stable from the government point of view my only disagreement."

I can't remember the whole thread - is there anyone here that did that?

As can be seen by explicit comments I've made, that certainly doesn't apply to me and I'll go one step further: I mentioned that I think it would suck to desire to stay here a long time and do so, all the while feeling that it wasn't your home and never would be...well, it also sucks to feel it is your home (for reasons I stated previously (and not even the most presumptuous or judgmental of folks have tried to refute as they are irrefutable)and all the while have the feeling that I mentioned previously - a lack of security in its permanence.

But to be redundant - that doesn't mean I can't call it home or don't have cause to.

Let me put it for you in another perspective.

If you visit Australia and see someone who does not look anglo-saxon, and ask them where they come from.for some strange reason in majority of times you will get answer like-greek, italian, russian, lebanese, turkish etc.

Mind you those people are 2nd or 3rd generation already yet they still do not identify themselves as being Australian.

Its a really puzzling question why, is it because they are not look anglo, or is it because they are always reminded of their origin, what is the reason?!

The only place i would comfortably call home is where i am not singled out for whatever reason.

In my life i have changed a few countries already and can honestly say i do not feel at home anywhere.

But i feel comfortable in Thailand, because i am not singled out but rather a foreigner just like every other foreigner.

So is Thailand my home? no it is not, but its a place where i live or have lived a part of my life.

I also feel if i ever get Thai passport i also do not think i would call it a home, but i will still always be singled out.HOWEVER if i was married and had kids who lived in Thailand, perhaps i would feel different, but i would not know that until i try

On retirement status here, there is no path to citizenship or even permanent residence. I would definitely be interested in permanent residence in ANY country I had retired to. Thailand simply doesn't welcome us enough to offer any path at all. Some retirement visa offering countries do. In case I do eventually choose a third country (not Thailand and not my home country) the offer of permanent residency status will be on the top of my list. I had other reasons to move here when I did and other reasons to stay. Just saying if I leave, I'm more aware of the issue. I was aware before moving here, but it has become more real experiencing it.

Don't get me wrong. The retirement offering here is a mixed bag. It's got its pros and cons. But lack of a path towards permanent residence is a HUGE con.

How can it be a con when the immigration regulations are clearly documented for those living in Thailand on an O visa with retirement extension.

I haven't read all the replies as it looked like it was heading into a bickering debate which I couldn't be arsed with.

However I will add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I moved here quite young (23 years old) and I settled in quite well. However as time as gone on I've come to realise that at some point I will want to return back to the UK.

Thailand is my home and I'm quite comfortable here and my life is pretty stable. However I'm starting to think I should be doing something else with my life... I'm at that point in my life where I'm looking for the next challenge. Who knows where it'll take me eh?!

I think the age of the person plays a big part on whether you feel settled here or not. I would imagine that someone who is retired with a wife and kids over here would feel much more rooted than a young female like me.

Also I hate to say it but we'll always be "farang' in Thai societies and we'll always be treated a little bit differently. It's whether you let it get to you or not that determines the comfort of your home.

• Like 1

Retiring next year, but that is the only 'definite' in my plan. Its good to have options, even if the traffic in Jakarta is worse than BKK (!) or accommodation in VT more expensive than Pattaya - if I allow things like that to deter me, I'll never leave Oz ! :D

There are many of us on this thread and others not in Thaivisa who are quite happy with the way things are and will adapt if things change.

There are many others who are not happy and are very noisy about it.

If you are not happy with the way things are working for you then DO something positive about it, don't keep banging the same old drum as it gets very boring.

I am quite happy with the status quo in Thailand.

I am here legally on a retirement extension to my Non-Imm O Visa. I go to do my 90 reports 4 time a year as it is a trip out and it generally takes around 10 minutes a time though I could quite easily post them in.

I go to my embassy once a year to get a letter from them confirming my income and once again it is a jolly out and I enjoy it. I then make my annual visit to the Immigration police to renew the extension which takes about 45 minutes to an hour once a year.

Other than that I am left alone and not under the view of CCTV cameras as I would be in the UK. I live a comfortable life and nobody bothers me or hassles me.

The locals seem to understand my terrible attempts at speaking Thai (being partly deaf and tone deaf doesn't help me).

Why would I not call Thailand my home. It is far more home to me than the UK would be to my wife and son.

Having lived and worked in 38 countries in my 68 years I chose Thailand as my home and so far no Thais have complained that I live here, no Thais have tried to mug me, get me to buy their BIG something newspaper, hovered menacingly around me at the local ATM or threatened me apart from my wife when I thought out loud about getting a mia noi. She smiled and pointed out that we have 31 ducks and they get hungry now and again. whistling.gif

• Like 1

"Crack Downs"

Visa runs have been changed? Oh you mean the cheap charlies who make runs all the time so not to show money in the bank?

As in trying to stretch a tourist visa into a legit stay? Yeah I hope they crack that down even harder smile.png

Even in the US a sponsor of a green card non citizen has to show financial proof.

Why should Thailand be burdened by those who cannot show they have the means to stay?

Changes to ED visa's? Another crack down on folks who abused the crap out of that one

etc etc etc

I only take exception to wild claims as to why others should not if they choose to.

I fail to see why you want to see less farangs living here. They don't do anything to affect you.

If one doesn't qualify for a non imm visa, visa runs/ ed visas are the only way to stay here- do they love Thailand less than you?

Just because they "cannot show they have the means to stay" does not mean that they do not have the means. At least they're not sucking off the welfare state here.

• Like 1

"Crack Downs"

etc etc etc

Sorry l am one of your low life's, but sure many here would disagree with you as you don't know my facts. rolleyes.gif

............................................ Thailand is a breeze of no paperwork place. Don't be silly; living and working and everything here is a heaven for those who can't stand paperwork.

It's a breeze if you are thai but we are not thais..!

I am not a Thai but for me driving 125km each way once a year and doing the paperwork in less than an hour to stay here another year IS a breeze.

I fail to see why you want to see less farangs living here. They don't do anything to affect you.

If one doesn't qualify for a non imm visa, visa runs/ ed visas are the only way to stay here- do they love Thailand less than you?

Just because they "cannot show they have the means to stay" does not mean that they do not have the means. At least they're not sucking off the welfare state here.

Sorry l am one of your low life's, but sure many here would disagree with you as you don't know my facts. rolleyes.gif

Let me try to get these two answered in one wink.png

First off I have no problem with anyone staying from any country.

Money is no indicator of character or anything else.

But you both have my reply a bit out of context.

I said what I did in reply to the cake claiming Thailand can never be called home because they are cracking down

on *their* visa laws as written. Or more accurately enforcing existing rules that have been stretched.

Personally I know it does not matter if a person shows 400-800k in the bank as he/she could easily blow thru that

in a month & be just as broke as someone skirting the visa rules due to lack of finances or just not wanting to put

money in a Thai bank.....who knows? I do not wink.png

So for the record it does not bother me in the least how many foreigners live in Thailand.

I was only replying in context that it is Thailand's right to enforce their written rules as they see fit.

If their rule for a certain length of stay type of visa includes showing XXX amount of funds that is their choice & is what it is.

If they want to limit a tourist visa's max length same as any other country....Same thing it is what it is.

Folks can make a choice.

Edited by mania

Why can't a person have SEVERAL homes in various countries? Why limit yourself? Rent is often cheaper than owning something. Actually owning property does not make a country any more pleasurable, unless you just like showing off what you own. Calling Thailand "home" means you love the country. If you didn't then you would choose somewhere else. And, if you can't afford to choose somewhere else then that is a problem brought on by your own poor planning.

Why can't a person have SEVERAL homes in various countries? Why limit yourself? Rent is often cheaper than owning something. Actually owning property does not make a country any more pleasurable, unless you just like showing off what you own. Calling Thailand "home" means you love the country. If you didn't then you would choose somewhere else. And, if you can't afford to choose somewhere else then that is a problem brought on by your own poor planning.

Rubbish. rolleyes.gif
  • Like 1

When I am treated the same as a Thai immigrant in my own country. As for making a home, think laws prevent that 100% clear owned outright for life in sole name. Hence I keep all my assets in UK including my home and use this place as it uses me.

Will see when a few million baht's worth of health care is needed where is home.

Don't expect to be welcomed with open arms when you seek treatment in your "home" country:-

http://www.nhs.uk/ch...bCategoryID=162

"The hospital will ask you for evidence to prove that you intend to live in the UK permanently. The documents that you provide will depend on your circumstances. Examples could include:

• documents showing the sale of goods or property overseas
  • receipts showing shipping of goods to the UK
  • evidence that you’re looking for work
  • evidence that you have bought property in the UK or have rented a property
  • papers that show you’ve applied for benefits
  • evidence that your children are attending school in the UK"

When I am treated the same as a Thai immigrant in my own country. As for making a home, think laws prevent that 100% clear owned outright for life in sole name. Hence I keep all my assets in UK including my home and use this place as it uses me.

Will see when a few million baht's worth of health care is needed where is home.

Don't expect to be welcomed with open arms when you seek treatment in your "home" country:-

http://www.nhs.uk/ch...bCategoryID=162

"The hospital will ask you for evidence to prove that you intend to live in the UK permanently. The documents that you provide will depend on your circumstances. Examples could include:

• documents showing the sale of goods or property overseas
  • receipts showing shipping of goods to the UK
  • evidence that you’re looking for work
  • evidence that you have bought property in the UK or have rented a property
  • papers that show you’ve applied for benefits
  • evidence that your children are attending school in the UK"

You work for the UK gov eh. laugh.png Sheesh, sad fellow. rolleyes.gif

I know a lady who used to do this job in a UK hospital.

Nobody asked these questions to white people with British accents, but of course she wasn't allowed to say that outright.

Do you really think they ask everyone in the UK who goes to a hospital to prove they live there full time?

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Thailand the country is like the Thai girls on the game, it is only yours as long as the cash flows, and even then it can be revoked at any time. I feel at home in Thailand but the visa regime and bureaucratic hurdles do become tiresome, perhaps deliberately, you may feel you are part of the place but no one else around you does.

In fact it is amazing that behaviour reported by some posts that would be condemned most anywhere is regarded here as normal and acceptable, toughen up and get used to, you deserved it the replies say. Seems to me that many people are justifying obnoxious and even phychopathic behaviour by the locals as a way of justifying their decision to move here. Why they can't just accept that everyehere has its good and bad points I don't understand, this is not Nirvana, it has good things plus a lot of warts that go hand in hand.

• Like 1