How To Post In An Archived Thread?

David48

How to post in an archived thread?

I wanted some information in the Farming Forum about a discounted rate for electricity for pumping water.

Came across this post electricity-tariffs-for-agricultural-water-pumping, thanks to one of the members canny searching (thanks loong) ... but it's archived and there are no posting options.

How to do please?

JT ... I hear what you are saying, however, it might just be archived as most older files are to save on computer resources.

But, the age of the thread may have little effect as, for example, the Chelsea Thread was started in 2006 and going strong.

So my request to the Admin team is can they 'un-archive' that thread that I refer to above please.

Start a new thread and drop a link to the earlier thread, the one you refer to has only two posts anyway.

EDIT The PEA link in the OP of that thread doesn't work anyway, I see zero value in removing the archive tag (only Admin can do that).

• 11 months later...

JT ... I hear what you are saying, however, it might just be archived as most older files are to save on computer resources.

But, the age of the thread may have little effect as, for example, the Chelsea Thread was started in 2006 and going strong.

So my request to the Admin team is can they 'un-archive' that thread that I refer to above please.

As mentioned, only Admin can unarchive a topic. I've only unarchived one topic in order to edit it as I had to remove some member's personal information from it. And Crossy has the correct logistics answer. The archive is not based on the origination date but on the last post date. If no activity in the topic for 2 years it is archived.
On a couple of boating forums I participate in if any of the original posters to a particular subject thread come back to make a new posting to an older subject thread it is allowed for them to reopen the subject thread.

I was just doing a search on this forum for 'ground water heat pumps' and ran across a subject thread that had some pretty interesting contributions from a number of the contributors. It would have been nice to reopen such a subject thread and try to get the 'group' of contributors back together again, rather that just hoping they might see a new thread on the subject.

...my 2 cents

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned, only Admin can unarchive a topic. I've only unarchived one topic in order to edit it as I had to remove some member's personal information from it. And Crossy has the correct logistics answer. The archive is not based on the origination date but on the last post date. If no activity in the topic for 2 years it is archived.

"If no activity in the topic for 2 years it is archived."

Mate, my experience is a little different.

For example ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/594957-how-do-i-survive-living-at-the-farm-tips-and-tricks-please/ ... last post was ... Posted 2013-02-02 10:49:47 ... but it's archived!

So, maybe the settings are for 12 months ... not 24 months as you suggest above?

"If no activity in the topic for 2 years it is archived."

Mate, my experience is a little different.

For example ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/594957-how-do-i-survive-living-at-the-farm-tips-and-tricks-please/ ... last post was ... Posted 2013-02-02 10:49:47 ... but it's archived!

So, maybe the settings are for 12 months ... not 24 months as you suggest above?

Just did a search in the mod forum when the feature was implemented and does show 365 days. I was sure at one point it was 2 years as previous searches for archived topics always seemed to terminate at two or more years. Suspect it may have been under discussion at one point as to the best length.

• Like 2