High-Speed Rail Service To Pattaya In 5 Years

webfact

Oh my. A bullet train is as scary as a nucular power plant run by Thai staff. Not even considering that the railway has to cross a number of roads filled with drivers with no regards for red lights, unless they put it on stilts all the way.

I'm sure you as a superior foreigner will be able to show how these simpleton locals could do it.

I'm quite sure the Thais, with assistance from the Chinese, could run it. The question is at what cost, initial and on-going.

Edited by OzMick

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my. A bullet train is as scary as a nucular power plant run by Thai staff. Not even considering that the railway has to cross a number of roads filled with drivers with no regards for red lights, unless they put it on stilts all the way.

I'm sure you as a superior foreigner will be able to show how these simpleton locals could do it.

I'm quite sure the Thais, with assistance from the Chinese, could run it. The question is at what cost, initial and on-going.

Indeed.

Rail is one of those strange pieces of infrastructure- just about any cost benefit analysis you do for it turns out to be entirely wrong. Nevertheless, there is a 'build it they will come' aspect to most rail - the infrastructure and people moving to live around the rail line. The rail line to the airport is a case in point. Not really useful as an airport express fo most (as it was intended), but a pretty successful suburban rail line with a new corridor of residental along side it.

• Like 1

Indeed.

Rail is one of those strange pieces of infrastructure- just about any cost benefit analysis you do for it turns out to be entirely wrong. Nevertheless, there is a 'build it they will come' aspect to most rail - the infrastructure and people moving to live around the rail line. The rail line to the airport is a case in point. Not really useful as an airport express fo most (as it was intended), but a pretty successful suburban rail line with a new corridor of residental along side it.

You do realise that it is not normal to use a 250km/h train for an all-stops suburban service?

You do realise that it is not normal to use a 250km/h train for an all-stops suburban service?

Sure, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think there could this could be a dual purpose corridor. The fast train, which no one will catch (but make Thailand look tres modern) and the 120km which stops at 5 or 6 places on the way, which tonnes of people will use.

Bangkok, April 1, 2028

After long delays, months of bloody riots by Taxi and Bus drivers and being over budget by Bt2,000,000,000,000 the Bangkok to Pattaya line makes its first official journey. The extension to Rayong has been cancelled due to budget constraints.

PicsForNewsletterJuly2005PARISSacreCuerC

No, I think this is the proposed link from the new Pattaya railway station to 'Pattaya Tai'. They want to name this train the 'Poof-in Billy'whistling.gif !

I thought pattaya was 120km from Bangkok ..... at 250km/h I think we will need less than one hour to arrive no ?

I love Thailand and all those ideas and hub projects ..... unfortunately (or not) none of those projects never come out of the drawer.

The plan is for slow travel at both ends there by giving the sexpats time for a short peek at the wonders to come.

laugh.png "the line will carry trains at 250 kilometers an hour, closing the

distance between Bangkok and Pattaya in roughly one hour." -- WHAT ????

this railroad monster is gonna "fly" on this SHORT trip !? When he

reaches 250km/h he must immediately hit the breaks or he will land in

the ocean.... -smile.png) cheesy.gif

Consider how long the distance is that it takes a Jumbo jet to reach 250 kph for take off. 40 years ago I regularly caught the 0713 from Birmingham to London and was in my office in the City by 0900. The 20 year old electric locomotives hauled 12 carriages and had intermediate stops at Coventry and Rugby. The distance from Birmingham to Euston is about 114 miles and the maximum line speed is 125 mph..

Edited by Bagwan

WHY? Wouldn't an extension of the airport rail link @160km/h be fast enough for the short journey, and many billions of baht cheaper?

Woah woah woah Mick!!! Hold your horses - don't come here with your LOGICAL thought process. It won't sit well with higher ups PTP Hq. smile.png

WHY? Wouldn't an extension of the airport rail link @160km/h be fast enough for the short journey, and many billions of baht cheaper?

Woah woah woah Mick!!! Hold your horses - don't come here with your LOGICAL thought process. It won't sit well with higher ups PTP Hq. smile.png

Mick, why do you always post ideas that actually make sense. You know that's not how they like it, less money to skim/scam.rolleyes.gif

Pipe dreams.

Wonder how much Chonburi's Godfather and kin will pocket from the money they will pour into that money pit?

Precisely. Where will the terminus of the hi-speed railway be situated and who is buying up the land as we post? Will we have a reprise of the rubbish dump episode?

If the terminus is situated over on the dark side I shudder to contemplate the additional chaos caused by the increase in traffic wanting to cross Sukhumvit.

The current narrow gauge could easily be converted to a dual track tramway similar to that linking Wimbledon and Croydon or Birmingham and Wolverhampton both of which use existing rail beds. I'm sure that there would be no shortage of 'officials' and 'experts' accompanied by their families of course, only too happy to go to see how to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

post-35987-0-88394900-1363154414_thumb.j

The Eastern SRT rail line runs within a few km of the airport. A bus service to the nearest SRT station (or even a spur into the airport station) and a diesel rail car shuttle to Pattaya would solve the transport need at minimum cost. And allow an assessment of passenger usage before laying out big bucks.

Perhaps most users will be coming from Bangkok and not the airport. And there'll no doubt be a transfer available from the airport link.

Separate project = separate kickbacks for separate interests...