Why Does A Cb 500 Sound Like A Scooter?

^

idiots both of you don't even have a clue what your talkin about & can't even get your facts right......lmfao

What facts? That you bought a chinese bike? Then after buying it you realised you made a mistake. You, noone else! Get over it, or people will talk about this forever.

seriously guys you need to get over it if ,you cant accept other posters views put them on ignore or complain to the mods but this thread is about a cbr 500

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Versys 650 is a twin and the sound isn't much better than the CBR 500. Even my CBR 1000, which is an inline four, sounded like crap with the stock exhaust. Most bikes today, regardless of engine configuration, sound pretty weak with a stock exhaust.

be careful Brian, some people might open up a thread like: "Why does kawa versys sounds like the tractor of my grandfather back home?" laugh.png

Not sure what to make of this everyone arguing about what a bike sounds like. I usually wear earplugs when riding so I can't hear what my bike sounds like.

The sound has more to do with engine configuration than anything else. Induction roar, exhaust note etc. is a factor of crank design and ignition timing. 180 firing, 270 firing etc. 90deg V-twin, parallel twin. Single or twin exhausts. Many factors. There must be a reason Honda made it a parallel twin they could just as easily made a V-twin.

As for the new 500 twin , drill a couple of holes in the airbox it will sound completely different at least to the person riding.

Four hundred four doesn't do it for me . Makes a lot of noise but... 43 RWHP for a 500 twin ? A 300 2-stroke puts out about 70 HP and a 690 single about 67 Hp. So i am not sure whether the poster was happy or not with 43 RWHP.

I agree the ER6 sounds like a tractor but again wear ear plugs and... There's another bike that sounds like a an old navies cement mixer but better not go they their egos are a bit fragile.

One disc brake? If that's all it needs to stop that's what it gets I seem to remember Buell only had one front disc. Said 67 hp bike also only has one disc.

Seems to me the new 500 it is an inexpensive (for here), lightweight parallel twin, made by the manufacturer to be socially acceptable.

Maybe there is already some 16-year old Thai who is thinking WOW my Fino sounds just like a CB500R!

Not sure what to make of this everyone arguing about what a bike sounds like. I usually wear earplugs when riding so I can't hear what my bike sounds like.

The sound has more to do with engine configuration than anything else. Induction roar, exhaust note etc. is a factor of crank design and ignition timing. 180 firing, 270 firing etc. 90deg V-twin, parallel twin. Single or twin exhausts. Many factors. There must be a reason Honda made it a parallel twin they could just as easily made a V-twin.

As for the new 500 twin , drill a couple of holes in the airbox it will sound completely different at least to the person riding.

Four hundred four doesn't do it for me . Makes a lot of noise but... 43 RWHP for a 500 twin ? A 300 2-stroke puts out about 70 HP and a 690 single about 67 Hp. So i am not sure whether the poster was happy or not with 43 RWHP.

I agree the ER6 sounds like a tractor but again wear ear plugs and... There's another bike that sounds like a an old navies cement mixer but better not go they their egos are a bit fragile.

One disc brake? If that's all it needs to stop that's what it gets I seem to remember Buell only had one front disc. Said 67 hp bike also only has one disc.

Seems to me the new 500 it is an inexpensive (for here), lightweight parallel twin, made by the manufacturer to be socially acceptable.

Maybe there is already some 16-year old Thai who is thinking WOW my Fino sounds just like a CB500R!

wow, the smartest tip ever!!! Wearing earplugs when riding motorbike.

So <Snip!> the big trailer who is going to ram you and make you into a smoothie when it signals you he cant stop and you are there whistling with earplugs in your ears, la la la, I cant hear anything.........BAMMMMMM.......smoothies, dude, are you ok? SOmething happened to you at birth?

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

So <Snip!> the big trailer who is going to ram you and make you into a smoothie when it signals you he cant stop and you are there whistling with earplugs in your ears, la la la, I cant hear anything.........BAMMMMMM.......smoothies, dude, are you ok? SOmething happened to you at birth?

Actually it is the smartest tip ever ......You ever heard about earplugs with filters inside specially designed for motorbike riders? They filter out the high frequency sounds (windnoise) so the rider will not damage his or her ears. They also filter out some of the exhaust sounds btw.Even earplugs without filters will not block outside sounds completely. Only headphones and music do that.

looks like something happened to you at birth to make a dumb f..k statement like that.

FYI : http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml

Edited by metisdead

Well I am happy you think so. As for the big trailer, you need to pay more attention, be going a bit faster and be travelling in a space in the traffic.

Most guys I ride with or have ridden with use earplugs.

What happened to me at birth? I chose, for the most part, intelligent and level headed parents.

I should have replied to this a long time ago.

The OP bases the sound of the new 500 on a youtube video.

Ever thought that the sound could be distorted because of the camera's microphone?

Have you actually heard the engine of a 500 in real life?

I admit, it is not a Harley, but it is far from that of a scooter.

If you really believe so, could you tell me, which scooter you have in mind, so I can make a comparing test.

And yes, I have a CB500F.

• Like 1

I should have replied to this a long time ago.
The OP bases the sound of the new 500 on a youtube video.
Ever thought that the sound could be distorted because of the camera's microphone?
Have you actually heard the engine of a 500 in real life?
I admit, it is not a Harley, but it is far from that of a scooter.
If you really believe so, could you tell me, which scooter you have in mind, so I can make a comparing test.

And yes, I have a CB500F.

Sorry but in my experience parallel twins sound like a box of nails and putting on an aftermarket pipe is just smoke screening the fact.

Admittedly, i put an Akrapovic on my Forza but purely for cosmetic reason as the stock one looked like a suitcase bolted to the side of the bike but it doesn't make it sound much better than stock.....

In actual fact the Kawasaki twin sounds marginally better but just maybe less nails than the Honda!!! cheesy.gif Edited by Rickster

Sorry but in my experience parallel twins sound like a box of nails and putting on an aftermarket pipe is just smoke screening the fact.

The bore/stroke and firing stroke equates to a square engine. So it sounds like a thumper.

In actual fact the Kawasaki twin sounds marginally better but just maybe less nails than the Honda!!!

The P-Twin ninja 250 has a much less square engine (bore and stroke), and different firing sequence, so sounds much less like a thumper.

So I believe.

Edited by Almera

The bore/stroke and firing stroke equates to a square engine. So it sounds like a thumper.

The P-Twin ninja 250 has a much less square engine (bore and stroke), and different firing sequence, so sounds much less like a thumper.

So I believe.

That IMO is correct & something I have written about before.

While not the end all of an engine it does give an indications of what to expect

If you take Bore divided by Stroke you get a result.

result = 1 & less is definitely a torque type of engine

result = above 1 moves more to a revving horsepower type engine

Examples

Honda 500 = 67 bore divided by 66.8 stroke = 1 ( Near perfect square torque engine )

Kawasaki N250 = 62/41.2 = 1.50 (Much more of a rev type engine)

Ducati Panigale = 112/60.8 = 1.84 ( I think Formula 1 cars run a bore twice the size of stroke & we know what kind of HP they get)

Honda CBR600RR = 67/42.5 = 157

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

There's a bike shop on Soi Siam Country Club (in about 100 metres from Sukhumvit Rd on left hand side) that has big bikes. I went past this morning and they had a CB400 something out front with an A4 page stuck to the headlamp showing a price of 285.000 baht! &lt;deleted&gt;!!!

Maybe no one told em the new CB500 is priced a bit over 200.000 baht!

Cheaper than when I was there . He wanted 295,000 baht......same bike in Japan for 1/2 that amount. What a joke. I would much rather have a inline 4 anyday but I settled on an ER6n. At least it has a lot of grunt for a duece! A 500 cc 2 cyl. BORING!

it is definitely not boring at least for me beardog. Check the photos of me and my cbr500laugh.png

if you do not know how to ride, every bike is boring. and what about a single cylinder adventure or cross, are they boring too? so all the off road guys are boring guys you think?laugh.png

you are thinking so shallow man.

if you limit your riding life with cylinders, noises etc, it is a much more boring life my friend.

post-114750-0-39614900-1363843731_thumb.

post-114750-0-59646200-1363843738_thumb.

Edited by loserlazer

If you have no interest in what a bike sounds like and you are happy with "The Pussification of Motorbikes", why bother posting?

Surly what a bike sounds like is very important, especially here in Thailand, otherwise why would you buy anything but a Honda Wave. It goes as fast as you need. Bikes used to be all about their sound, back in the days when we had real bikes, now we are jsut left with sewing machines.

Surly what a bike sounds like is very important, especially here in Thailand, otherwise why would you buy anything but a Honda Wave.

Don't

It goes as fast as you need.

Drink.

Bikes used to be all about their sound, back in the days when we had real bikes, now we are jsut left with sewing machines.

And post, kids.

• Like 1

If you have no interest in what a bike sounds like and you are happy with "The Pussification of Motorbikes", why bother posting?

Surly what a bike sounds like is very important, especially here in Thailand, otherwise why would you buy anything but a Honda Wave. It goes as fast as you need. Bikes used to be all about their sound, back in the days when we had real bikes, now we are jsut left with sewing machines.

Funny comments allan.

So now you are no different from the young thai lads putting a tin can on their yamaha mio for loudness:D

it is definitely not boring at least for me beardog. Check the photos of me and my cbr500laugh.png

if you do not know how to ride, every bike is boring. and what about a single cylinder adventure or cross, are they boring too? so all the off road guys are boring guys you think?laugh.png

if you limit your riding life with cylinders, noises etc, it is a much more boring life my friend.

That is just me. In the states my buddy has my bikes at his house & his bikes are in just about any configuration.

So when I get to drive when I get back will be 1000cc minimum. 500 doesn't excite me that much but everyone is different. Thats what great about bikes you can have anything you want(provided can afford it) The 650 Er6n much nicer for my taste in a medium bike range. & I like Honda just as well.

All the bikes I ride mine 1000cc punched out to 1136cc. & stock 1100 & my bud where I keep my bikes at in San Francisco are 1000-1800. The 1800 is a bit much for me.But the 1000 cc bracket gets my rocks off! I would put down the baht in Thailand if they ever carry any of the bikes 600 & up with an inline 4. But that being said Thailand is much slower driving than the U.S. So the ER6n is good enough for now & a lot of fun. Still feels like an enduro style engine with 2 cylinders.

Funny comments allan.

So now you are no different from the young thai lads putting a tin can on their yamaha mio for loudness:D

That was a pretty outrageous comment, the thunderous roar was the natural sound of a big BSA, Norton, or Triumph and the rumble from a Harley V-twin is not faked either. If you can't tell the difference there are plenty of girls with silicon tits here to choose from too, .....not to mention a ladyboy or two.

That is just me. In the states my buddy has my bikes at his house & his bikes are in just about any configuration.

So when I get to drive when I get back will be 1000cc minimum. 500 doesn't excite me that much but everyone is different. Thats what great about bikes you can have anything you want(provided can afford it) The 650 Er6n much nicer for my taste in a medium bike range. & I like Honda just as well.

All the bikes I ride mine 1000cc punched out to 1136cc. & stock 1100 & my bud where I keep my bikes at in San Francisco are 1000-1800. The 1800 is a bit much for me.But the 1000 cc bracket gets my rocks off! I would put down the baht in Thailand if they ever carry any of the bikes 600 & up with an inline 4. But that being said Thailand is much slower driving than the U.S. So the ER6n is good enough for now & a lot of fun. Still feels like an enduro style engine with 2 cylinders.

The inline 4s are there Honda sell them yamaha sell them and I think Suzuki also and of coarse Kawasaki sell them so what you waiting for go put your money down
  • Like 2

Funny how people say they don't care about the sound of the bike, a 250 is fast enough for Thai roads, my wild days are over (the older I get - the crazier I was) etc.

Yet when the prospect of a reasonably priced 600 supersport is mentioned, they're all over it...

Looking at loserlazer's riding pics may i suggest we all chip in 100B into the kitty to buy him some proper bike gloves......that's motorbike gloves friends, it seems he has the other type already!!! blink.png

Edited by Rickster

Looking at loserlazer's riding pics may i suggest we all chip in 100B into the kitty to buy him some proper bike gloves......that's motorbike gloves friends, it seems he has the other type already!!! blink.png

You are so kind rickster!

But no need, i have full gloves.

Still, you just collect money to send your mom back home buddy.laugh.png

And i guess, you will never ever need gloves on your scootybiggrin.png

Edited by loserlazer

Correct...... but i do on my Monster 1100 biggrin.png

Lighten up son.......just a bit of friendly banter thumbsup.gif

post-79999-0-54903400-1363926165_thumb.j

• Like 2

That was a pretty outrageous comment, the thunderous roar was the natural sound of a big BSA, Norton, or Triumph and the rumble from a Harley V-twin is not faked either. If you can't tell the difference there are plenty of girls with silicon tits here to choose from too, .....not to mention a ladyboy or two.

All the thunderous roars were when technology was in its ascendancy and when there were fewer bikes on the roads. The performance of a motorcycle has little to do with the noise it makes. Nor does the amount of noise give any real indication of performance of the bike or the ability of the rider. I don't like bikes or scooters that are muffled top the point where they sound like a lawn mower but also neither am I a big fan of noise for the sake of it. Older Triumphs have a special sound because of the firing sequence, as does Harley. But making them louder does not make them better. Making them sound better is good but like music, turning up the volume of a rapper doesn't improve the quality of the music.

I did like however the Pussification comment. Shows a complete lack of originality. When fumbling for a coherent point or view always invoke the gay or feminine slur.

Edited by VocalNeal

Correct...... but i do on my Monster 1100 biggrin.png

Lighten up son.......just a bit of friendly banter thumbsup.gif

no need for a friendly banter rickster, it is foolish to be on track with half gloves i know that and stated it here in another thread and it is not my fault as i asked they told me OK as it is just a training session but your attitude like pushing this and ideas like collecting money for me etc does not suit a ducati monster 1100 owner buddy!thumbsup.gif did you collect 100 baht from all your friend to buy that monster or did they collect it for you?laugh.png

and it is not about owning a ducati or a bigger bike or being experienced on track etc, and you know that i am sure.

Edited by loserlazer

Well, all that is true vocalneal, i thought so myself..until someone thought my bike was smaller than a 400

that he saw, all due to stock pipes, while i had in fact 3 times bigger bike than that.

After a while on aftermarket pipes, i sort of appreciate the low rev rumble,

and i most definitely appreciate that it saved me from at least 1 accident, when someone got the idea

to all of the sudden turn right just as i was taking over, he heard my bike and decided now was not the time

All the thunderous roars were when technology was in its ascendancy and when there were fewer bikes on the roads. The performance of a motorcycle has little to do with the noise it makes. Nor does the amount of noise give any real indication of performance of the bike or the ability of the rider. I don't like bikes or scooters that are muffled top the point where they sound like a lawn mower but also neither am I a big fan of noise for the sake of it. Older Triumphs have a special sound because of the firing sequence, as does Harley. But making them louder does not make them better. Making them sound better is good but like music, turning up the volume of a rapper doesn't improve the quality of the music.

I did like however the Pussification comment. Shows a complete lack of originality. When fumbling for a coherent point or view always invoke the gay or feminine slur.

Performance is irrelevant in Thailand, as anything over 100 kph with unpredictable Thais around means certain death. 90% of big bikes are bought for pleasure use and sound is part of that residual pleasure. If you think all these people buy Harleys to show off their top speed and handling you are mistaken, they are about image and part of the image is the sound they make.

I am not necessarily talking about making them loader, but perhaps a better lower note, so they don't sound like sewing machine, or food-mixers, or other domestic appliances. Spin dryers are more appealing to the ladies, don't you know.

Finally, I am confused, you first say you like the phrase "Pussyfication" I do but didn't originally quote it), but then you think it wholly unoriginal, which is it?... and if my comment about ladyboys and plastic tits not being the real thing hit a nerve, just call me old fashioned.

The inline 4s are there Honda sell them yamaha sell them and I think Suzuki also and of coarse Kawasaki sell them so what you waiting for go put your money down

That is a true story Unfortunately the prices are absolutely rediculously bloated. My bud back in California will sell me his 2004 800 cc. Drifter Vulcan with just 3200 miles on it just broken in for 60,000 baht. Here 220,000 . A new liter bike(Not that you need that big a ride here in Thailand) is only 45-50% of the price new or barely used. But I would be the church singing to the choir on this one we all know this. I will wait but not hold my breath till Thailand steps it up a notch & produces it here & then buy. The 650 ER good enough for here. Actually suzuki now has the weakest line on inline 4's now. I was surprised.

Actually suzuki now has the weakest line on inline 4's now. I was surprised.

Poor Suzuki is actually having a lot of problems as a company right now.

They are about to cut 10-20% of all their dealerships & also

American Suzuki Motor Corporation is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

American Suzuki — now called Suzuki Motor of America —

is drastically restructuring its business, not just to exist

without its automotive lines, but also on a more fundamental basis.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/suzuki-motor-america-dealership-cuts/#more-41154

Actually suzuki now has the weakest line on inline 4's now. I was surprised.

Poor Suzuki is actually having a lot of problems as a company right now.

They are about to cut 10-20% of all their dealerships & also

American Suzuki Motor Corporation is filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

>>American Suzuki — now called Suzuki Motor of America —

is drastically restructuring its business, not just to exist

without its automotive lines, but also on a more fundamental basis.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/suzuki-motor-america-dealership-cuts/#more-41154

I'll stand tall and say that IMO, Suzuki make the most bullet proof 1 litre+ motors and have done for many years....Even guys in the present day are using Suzuki 1 litre+ lumps for their Streetfighters..

Was a shame to see them leave MotoGP and certainly a shame to see them struggling in today;'s market...

My first ever bike was a ZR50SL, after i passed my test i bought an RG500 Gamma followed by a GSXR750M, last of the oil cooled, so i've got a slight affiliation with Suzuki bikes from my early biking days.....

Edited by Rickster