What Dash Cam To Buy And Where

Mine is rigged to search for satellites based on this (Bkk/Jakarta) timezone. If left on GMT/BST (it's default setting) it wont detect anything for obvious reasons.

Window tinting can cause probs too. Some may need to fix external antennae in order to connect to GPS.

Edited by evadgib

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a new chinese dealer for dashcam cameras and they do their job pretty good. They have real video samples for almost every model, you can inspect before buy.

I bought a non-brand LS300W recently for $66 bucks and its pretty good.

http://www.foxoffer.com/nonbrand-ls300w-gt300w-1080p-car-dvr-with-wdr-p-569.html

You can check details here.

Hello,

Do you know whcih dashcam has internal battery or if it is possible to connect a battery pack to a dashcam ?

I do not want to connect it directly to the car battery.

Thank you.

They all run off 5VDC via a USB connector, so any of them could be powered by a standard phone charger or power bank.

Don't know if this is allowed, but I have a couple of old Dash Cams that I don't use and am willing to give away. For Free.

These are the first couple of cams I got before knowing much about it all. When I started to learn more about what was available and with better models hitting the market all the time I gradually upgraded to the cams I have now, which I happy with.

These cams have only been used a few months and still have the original boxes. There is nothing wrong with them just I was disappointed with the quality of the picture and things like that.

I could sell them on Ebay but knowing they are not much good would not feel right. Could also give them away to some local friends with cars but no matter how much I explain they are no good and free I'm sure they'll still complain after a while.

At the moment I just have them sitting around taking up space so would be happy to give them to anyone who wants one. I'll even pay the postage.

So if your not sure about the value of using a Dash Cam and want to try the idea before spending any money this could be for you.

thumbsup.gif

This should score me some Brownie point in the next life whistling.gif

Well after perusing this thread and pondering buying a dash cam I had a guy on a motorbike made me realise it is worth it. I was driving along the superhighway in Chiang Mai in the right lane, at night, just a kerbed median strip on my right and two lanes on my left doing about 110kmh when out of the blue comes a motorcycle being ridden next to the median strip coming right at me! I swerved severely and heard him clip my side mirror....Very close to a direct impact so I went home and ordered one up then and there.

Two days later I was wishing I had it in the car when an inconsiderate song toew driver decides he shouldn't have to line up for the lights like everyone else so parks over in the oncoming traffic lane, nice and close to the lights. All the oncoming traffic in that lane was blocked and had to merge, the intersection got blocked and when we finally got going a few drivers decided to beep there horns at him, to let him know he was being an a hole so the guy stops in the middle of the road, gets out of his car and starts abusing everyone..He then chases one guy down the road virtually running everybody off the road in the process...charming....would have made great you tube footage....

Money well spent. I got an mini 0801 from china, got pretty good reviews, only $100 off ebay from china so no duty to pay.

Edited by Bung

Don't know if this is allowed, but I have a couple of old Dash Cams that I don't use and am willing to give away. For Free.

These are the first couple of cams I got before knowing much about it all. When I started to learn more about what was available and with better models hitting the market all the time I gradually upgraded to the cams I have now, which I happy with.

These cams have only been used a few months and still have the original boxes. There is nothing wrong with them just I was disappointed with the quality of the picture and things like that.

I could sell them on Ebay but knowing they are not much good would not feel right. Could also give them away to some local friends with cars but no matter how much I explain they are no good and free I'm sure they'll still complain after a while.

At the moment I just have them sitting around taking up space so would be happy to give them to anyone who wants one. I'll even pay the postage.

So if your not sure about the value of using a Dash Cam and want to try the idea before spending any money this could be for you.

thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif width=25 alt=thumbsup.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1443177670>

This should score me some Brownie point in the next life whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn width=19 alt=whistling.gif pagespeed_url_hash=3700464609>

Very commendable of you! wai2.gifclap2.gif

Well after perusing this thread and pondering buying a dash cam I had a guy on a motorbike made me realise it is worth it. I was driving along the superhighway in Chiang Mai in the right lane, at night, just a kerbed median strip on my right and two lanes on my left doing about 110kmh when out of the blue comes a motorcycle being ridden next to the median strip coming right at me! I swerved severely and heard him clip my side mirror....Very close to a direct impact so I went home and ordered one up then and there.

Two days later I was wishing I had it in the car when an inconsiderate song toew driver decides he shouldn't have to line up for the lights like everyone else so parks over in the oncoming traffic lane, nice and close to the lights. All the oncoming traffic in that lane was blocked and had to merge, the intersection got blocked and when we finally got going a few drivers decided to beep there horns at him, to let him know he was being an a hole so the guy stops in the middle of the road, gets out of his car and starts abusing everyone..He then chases one guy down the road virtually running everybody off the road in the process...charming....would have made great you tube footage....

Money well spent. I got an mini 0801 from china, got pretty good reviews, only $100 off ebay from china so no duty to pay.

.... Exactly! thumbsup.gif

Driving conditions here in LOS make it an almost mandatory piece of equipment!

I am looking to receive the LS 330W that I ordered off eBay to arrive any day now.

...and I'm looking for my 'late' Christmas Gift to arrive any day now...it's a Dash-Cam !! smile.png (and it's a gift,so 'll be happy gift wink.png )

Patience "funcat" will get yours sent off today thumbsup.gif

The other two were posted yesterday.

Didn't realize it was going to be so involved. Going to the post office for the boxes, of course did not have the right size only big ones. Then sorting out the Cams making sure all the right bits were in the right boxes, checking they still actually worked and setting them up so ready to just add memory card and plug in etc. etc.

Then putting them in the oversized boxes with lots of packing addressing them (well the wife did that) and then back to the post office to send them off.

Phew!

biggrin.png

...and I'm looking for my 'late' Christmas Gift to arrive any day now...it's a Dash-Cam !! smile.png (and it's a gift,so 'll be happy gift wink.png )

Didn't realize it was going to be so involved. Going to the post office for the boxes, of course did not have the right size only big ones. Then sorting out the Cams making sure all the right bits were in the right boxes, checking they still actually worked and setting them up so ready to just add memory card and plug in etc. etc.

Then putting them in the oversized boxes with lots of packing addressing them (well the wife did that) and then back to the post office to send them off.

Phew!

biggrin.png

And it really is much appreciated.

I use the SJ1000 for my motorcycle and car. The quality is fantastic for the money. I paid 2500 but you can buy for 2200 in places. It's 1080p and comes with many mounting options. The one for the bike is not so good so I bought a better mount from ebay. It has motion sensor so it can be plugged full-time into your car if needed.

their is a guy on youtube called 'techmoan' that does excellent reviews on dash cams etc.

The SJ1000 is comparable to the gopro with its picture quality, although users of go pro having paid a heap load more will deny. Sound is good too but it doesn't have the option for plug-in mic.

Tnx

Edited by BBJ

I use the SJ1000 for my motorcycle and car. The quality is fantastic for the money. I paid 2500 but you can buy for 2200 in places. It's 1080p and comes with many mounting options. The one for the bike is not so good so I bought a better mount from ebay. It has motion sensor so it can be plugged full-time into your car if needed.

their is a guy on youtube called 'techmoan' that does excellent reviews on dash cams etc.

The SJ1000 is comparable to the gopro with its picture quality, although users of go pro having paid a heap load more will deny. Sound is good too but it doesn't have the option for plug-in mic.

Tnx

SJ1000 is great for the money but comparing it to GoPro is kind of joke.

GoPro can do 60 fps, has better low light performance and comes with a real encoding chip that supports higher bitrates and provides better compression.

However, I would never put 300-400 usd gopro in my car/motorbike (put on helmet perhaps?).

If sole purpose is to use it for car dvr, it is kind of bulky. I recommend devices in dashcam form using same sensor/cpu starts from 60 usd.

Tnx

SJ1000 is great for the money but comparing it to GoPro is kind of joke.

GoPro can do 60 fps, has better low light performance and comes with a real encoding chip that supports higher bitrates and provides better compression.

However, I would never put 300-400 usd gopro in my car/motorbike (put on helmet perhaps?).

If sole purpose is to use it for car dvr, it is kind of bulky. I recommend devices in dashcam form using same sensor/cpu starts from 60 usd.

Not a joke at all. I have the go pro 2 but I bought the SJ1000 for my bike as I didn't want to lose 14k if I came off (as you mentioned). As it turned out the quality was very similar. Dark settings are marginally better on the go pro but not 13k better. After using the Sj1000 and and the Go Pro I'd never use go pro again unless I needed to plug a mic in and do some form of documentary, but I don't. I wan't it for evidence incase of an accident. But then again there are so many cheaper alternatives that are as good. Go Pro seems to have a certain following. And it's firmly set in the action cam market.

For a dash cam or helmet cam the go pro is simply overpriced.

There are many comparisons on youtube. But judging from the comments the only folks denying the quality of the SJ1000 are people who have shelled out over the odds for a GP.

Edited by BBJ

Phew!

biggrin.png

Have mine installed and it seems to be working well. Did not try at night though and did not yet try to replay.

Don't have GPS, so no interference :)

steveni

Ah! another satisfied customer thumbsup.gif

You can playback on your computer.

If you computer has a card slot just take the card from the camera or connect the cam with the USB cable to your computer and it will be seen as an removable drive.

smile.png

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lazada is a Thai company. Good prices, good customer service, and you pay at delivery at your door after examining the merchandise.

Car cameras post-183983-0-28603800-1404824095_thumb.post-183983-0-28603800-1404824095_thumb.post-183983-0-28603800-1404824095_thumb. starting at 550THB, 750THB including a 8GIB SD card. Good deal!

I got the one for 1140THB that can be used like a home camera. Not include the 200THB 8 GIB SD card. Works very well

DR500gw-HD 2ch Wifi 32GB.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/blackvue-dr550gw-2ch-wifi

Purchased from the USA, price was $470.00 inc delivery.

$470 American?... that's GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition pricing.... does it shoot 4K video? tongue.png

No it does not shoot 4k.

As a camera the go pro is very good, as a permanent "dash cam" installation the go pro is not very good.