Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

As a fan of the game zzzzzz, this approach will only see you lose by 1 or 2 goals but I understand Rafa's mentality. Hope it's an early game cause I don't want to stay up till 2am to watch another bore fest like you guys displayed last week.

Actually would have preferred if Torres was playing.

it's never a good match so don't expect one. tension and skyesque hype far outweighs actual quality and adventure. it's 12.45pm GMT so teatime here.

and by christ so would i.

Five across the middle actually worked well and got us wins and goals at the end of last season, so expect it especially since Torres is out. Gerrard wouldn't miss it for the world though if he's not fully fit it could do more harm than good by putting him out longer.

Five across the middle actually worked well and got us wins and goals at the end of last season, so expect it especially since Torres is out. Gerrard wouldn't miss it for the world though if he's not fully fit it could do more harm than good by putting him out longer.

back half of last season it was very much 4-2-3-1 which yeah, did work brilliantly. it got the most out of gerrard and torres and the team benefitted from having gerrard where he's most dangerous, i.e. closer to the opposition goal and attacking the final third of the pitch.

don't think we'll see anything that adventurous against manyoo, particularly with torres being out. i'm not convinced robbie keane can play the lone front man so we might yet see kuyt up there with a midfield of gerrard - alonso - mascherano - babel/riera with keane behind kuyt.

back half of last season it was very much 4-2-3-1 which yeah, did work brilliantly. it got the most out of gerrard and torres and the team benefitted from having gerrard where he's most dangerous, i.e. closer to the opposition goal and attacking the final third of the pitch.

don't think we'll see anything that adventurous against manyoo, particularly with torres being out. i'm not convinced robbie keane can play the lone front man so we might yet see kuyt up there with a midfield of gerrard - alonso - mascherano - babel/riera with keane behind kuyt.

Stevie: worked brilliantly back half of last season? I don't rember the final league table but didn't you guys finish your traditional 4th? Perhaps it's time to change things up and set your goals a touch higher. :o

Stevie: worked brilliantly back half of last season? I don't rember the final league table but didn't you guys finish your traditional 4th? Perhaps it's time to change things up and set your goals a touch higher. :o

bugger off james, we try to do the best with what we have. :D

our form from january onwards was generally really good and we got to the semi-finals of the european cup. wasn't a great season but showed some real promising signs, the foremost of which was the gerrard/torres partnership in the 4-2-3-1 formation. which makes it all the more heartbreaking that rafa's for some reason started this term playing 4-4-fuc_king-2.

bugger off james, we try to do the best with what we have. :D

our form from january onwards was generally really good and we got to the semi-finals of the european cup. wasn't a great season but showed some real promising signs, the foremost of which was the gerrard/torres partnership in the 4-2-3-1 formation. which makes it all the more heartbreaking that rafa's for some reason started this term playing 4-4-fuc_king-2.

haha, just giving you a hard time stevieboy. Anyways I hope it's not a bore (boar) fest. Perhaps we can get Marcherano to lip off again and Paul Scholes to think he is playing volleyball again for a little red card action to open things up.

Otherwise, it will be Mr O'shea coming on in the 85 min to pocket the 3 points again.

Actually, Liverpool's form was fantastic using the 4-5-1. They only used it the last 10-15 games or so and form was better than any time in the season, so..........

They got 14 out of their last 18 points possible last season.

I suspect 20 million pound Keane is the reason for dropping that formation so far. Not a bad reason, in my opinion, though it certainly has not measured up.

Edited by Jimjim

fingers crossed. although ferdinand did a cracking job on him last season.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/live...55578-21705903/

Torres in race to be fit for United clash

Sep 9 2008 by Ian Doyle, Daily Post

FERNANDO TORRES is winning his battle to be fit for Liverpool’s showdown with Manchester United on Saturday.

The Spanish striker was initially ruled out for “between two and three weeks” after suffering a hamstring tear during the goalless draw against Aston Villa nine days ago.

It meant Torres was instantly ruled out of the visit of Sir Alex Ferguson’s side, as well as missing Spain’s World Cup qualifiers against Bosnia and Armenia.

But Liverpool’s medical staff have been encouraged by the speed at which Torres has responded to treatment on the injury.

And now the Anfield outfit are hopeful their club record signing will take to the field against the champions at the weekend.

The news will be a major boost to Rafael Benitez, who is already resigned to being without skipper Steven Gerrard for the crunch fixture.

Gerrard is recovering from two groin operations but is hopeful of being available for the Champions League clash

in Marseille on Tuesday.

Scousemouse is keeping a low profile again. I was hoping to watch the match with him on Saturday, and enjoy his usual grimmaces as his team take the usual beating. :o

Probably gaining some brownie points so that he can get out on the weekend. :D :D

Or maybe saving the satang, that he'll loose out on buying beers when they lose again. :D

I think there's a very real chance of it being 0-0 or 1-0. I predict Man U will not win this time. Going down, little devils.

it really is about bleeding time. our record against them under rafa is as bad as it was good under ged houllier.

good strong referee at least, howard webb has the gig.

I think there's a very real chance of it being 0-0 or 1-0. I predict Man U will not win this time. Going down, little devils.

I think there's a very real chance of it being 2-0 or 3-1. I predict Man U will win this time a well. I also predict a red card for Machorano, which, like last year's game, will assist in achieving the above scoreline.

Interesting stat that supports my optimism...percentage of the time where we win away from home.Top six away whipping boys.

Everton (81.2%)

Aston Villa (68.7%)

Tottenham Hotspur (62.5%)

Fulham (57.1%)

Sunderland (57/1%)

Liverpool (56.2%)

Interesting note that Liverpool win 25% of their home games against us. Between Liverpool and Everton, you can see why we like coming to your city for the day.

:o

Scousemouse is keeping a low profile again. I was hoping to watch the match with him on Saturday, and enjoy his usual grimmaces as his team take the usual beating. :D

Probably gaining some brownie points so that he can get out on the weekend. :D:D

Or maybe saving the satang, that he'll loose out on buying beers when they lose again. :(

:P

in my defence lads I had a really bad motorbike crash 2 weeks ago and broke a lot of bones and I'm still jep mark :D , but never mind that :burp: .

Liverpool v the mancs tomorrow C'MON THE REDS !!!!! :o:D

It looks like both the lads could well play :o :

Liverpool duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have both been declared fit to face Manchester United.

Gerrard missed England's 4-1 win in Croatia on Wednesday after undergoing a minor groin operation, while Torres has recovered from a hamstring tear.

Both players are included in Rafael Benitez's squad after coming through a light training session on Friday.

"They are both much better," said Benitez. "They came through a full training session this morning."

He added: "It's important for us to have these two players of quality who can change a game. "I'm not surprised they are available because the medical staff have done a good job and the players have been working really hard with the physios to get fit."

tomorrows game report :

Liverpool v Man Utd

_45011373_liv_manu_0506.gif

Liverpool duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have both been declared fit to face Manchester United.

Gerrard missed England's 4-1 win in Croatia on Wednesday after undergoing a minor groin operation, while Torres has recovered from a hamstring tear.

Both players are included in Rafael Benitez's squad after coming through a light training session on Friday.

"They are both much better," said Benitez. "They came through a full training session this morning."

He added: "It's important for us to have these two players of quality who can change a game.

"I'm not surprised they are available because the medical staff have done a good job and the players have been working really hard with the physios to get fit."

Albert Riera is in line to make his Liverpool bow after signing from Espanyol on transfer deadline day, while Brazilian midfielder Lucas Leiva misses out after returning late from international duty.

Man Utd team news to follow later.

Make your Premier League predictions

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Liverpool can go three points clear at the top of the table for two hours at least, if they can record a 10th successive home league win, at the expense of champions Manchester United.

The Red Devils were the only club to leave Anfield with all three points last season.

Sir Alex Ferguson, who's eager to match Liverpool's 18 league titles this season by winning a third consecutive Premier League crown, holds an unbeaten league record against his opposite number Rafa Benitez of seven wins and one draw. Benitez' only success was Liverpool's fifth round victory in the FA Cup in February 2006.

Both these clubs have lost just two Premier League matches in 2008, and will be looking for a morale boosted performance ahead of their first Champions League group matches next week.

Liverpool are vying for a 50th victory from their 151st league meeting with Manchester United.

The Red Devils are chasing a sixth successive Premier League victory over Liverpool, and third in a row at Anfield.

Liverpool have suffered more Premier League defeats (18), dropped more points (68) and conceded more goals (48) to Manchester United than to any other club.

Distance between the clubs: 33 miles (54 kilometres)

Manchester United are making the shortest journey of all Premier League clubs this weekend.

CLUB FORM

LIVERPOOL

Club stats

2nd 7 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 1st 2008-09 Premier League performance

1. Lost one of the last 16 games (all competitions); that defeat being 3-2, away to Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final second leg on 30 April.

2. Unbeaten in 10 Premier League matches; won seven and drawn three since losing 3-0, away to Manchester United on 23 March - their only reverse in 18 Premier League fixtures.

3. Undefeated in 12 home Premier League matches; won 10 and drawn two since succumbing to the Red Devils nine months ago - their only defeat in 24 at Anfield.

4. Kept clean sheets in six of the last seven league and cup games (four of five in the Premier League); the exception being the 2-1 home victory over Middlesbrough on 23 August.

5. Five goals shy of becoming the third club to score 1,000 Premier League goals; United have 1,222 and Arsenal 1,052.

6. Had 10 points after their first four games last season.

7. Gone in at half-time with the score goalless in all three of their league games to date. All three of their league goals have been scored in the last seven minutes.

8. Not beaten a fellow 'Big Four' club in six attempts since the 4-1 victory over Arsenal at Anfield on 31 March 2007.

9. Lost just one of the last seven league games against North-West clubs (v Man U) and won the last three.

Fixtures

MANCHESTER UNITED

Club stats

9th 4 points

2008-09 Premier League performance

1. Coming off the 2-1 defeat to Zenit St Petersburg in the European Super Cup on 29 August.

2. Only played two Premier League fixtures; the most recent being a 0-1 victory over Portsmouth at Fratton Park on 25 August.

3. One defeat in eight (all competitions).

4. Won 10 and lost one of their last 14 Premier League outings.

5. Picked up 10 points from a last possible 12 since losing 2-1, away to Chelsea on 26 April 2008.

6. That defeat to the Blues was their first in the last eight against 'Big Four' clubs.

7. Completed 39 league matches without a goalless draw - the longest current such sequence in the Premier League.

8. On the longest current run in the highest league of 26 matches, since failing to score.

9. Lost one of the last seven league matches against fellow North-West clubs; the 1-2 home loss to local rivals Manchester City on 10 February 2008.

Fixtures

KEY PLAYER NOTES

LIVERPOOL Squad profiles

Steven GERRARD is a hat-trick shy of 100 club career goals - all in Liverpool colours.

If on the field from the outset:-

Jamie CARRAGHER will be making his 350th Premier League start - all for the Reds.

Sami HYYPIA will be making his 300th career Premier League start - all in a Liverpool shirt.

MANCHESTER UNITED Squad profiles

If on the field from the outset:-

Edwin VAN DER SAR will be making his 300th start for an English club (Fulham and Manchester United).

Gary NEVILLE will be making his 350th Premier League start for Manchester United.

John O'SHEA will be making his 150th English league start (Manchester United and Bournemouth).

HEAD TO HEAD

The Merseysiders have only won 25% of their home matches against Manchester United in the Premier League (four of 16).

The champions did the double over Liverpool for the fifth time in the Premier League last season, and the third time in four seasons.

United have not lost in six consecutive league visits to Anfield, since Liverpool's 3-1 triumph on 4 November 2001; Michael Owen scored a brace and John Arne Riise also netted in that match seven years ago.

The only point in 24 Liverpool have notched against United came from a goalless draw at Anfield on 18 September 2005.

Since the start of the 2002-03 season, Liverpool have played 115 home Premier League matches and lost just 13 of them - five to Manchester United. The Red Devils have a better record at Anfield than any other Premier League club.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Liverpool 49 wins, Man Utd 58, Draws 43

Prem: Liverpool 7 wins, Man Utd 18, Draws 7

at Liverpool only

League (inc PL): Liverpool 35 wins, Man Utd 22, Draws 18

Prem: Liverpool 4 wins, Man Utd 9, Draws 3

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United

16 December 2007 - Ref: Mark Halsey

Man Utd scorer: Tevez 43

REFEREE Howard Webb (Yorkshire)

I'm not convinced both of them will start if injured. They could very well just get injured again and be out for longer if trying to play 90 minutes. Well, I think at least one of them either will not start or will not play the full 90.

very, very, very hungover. :o

that was bloody fantastic.

Congratulations there Stevie and all you Liverpool fans, well deserved win I must say. I won't mention the two shockers by our team (oops I did) but overall your midfield outplayed ours hands down and forced us into a boring and unsuccessful long ball attack.

While I am sure you are happy with the win, I am disappointed by the football in general over the weekend. For me the Stoke Everton game was the most entertaining off all.

Anyays, found out I am gonna be a daddy in 8 months or so so even though we took it on the chin, I still have a grin. :D

Congratulations there Stevie and all you Liverpool fans, well deserved win I must say. I won't mention the two shockers by our team (oops I did) but overall your midfield outplayed ours hands down and forced us into a boring and unsuccessful long ball attack.

While I am sure you are happy with the win, I am disappointed by the football in general over the weekend. For me the Stoke Everton game was the most entertaining off all.

Anyays, found out I am gonna be a daddy in 8 months or so so even though we took it on the chin, I still have a grin. :D

cheers james. i was surprised at the way you set up to be honest, was complacent of ferguson to think that he could play 4-3-3 and just boss it, even in the absence of gerrard and torres. kuyt and alonso were outstanding, our fullbacks had their best games for the club and mascherano was just unstoppable. force of nature stuff. hopefully we can take that effort and determination forward now.

and congratulations man, may i reccommend the name 'fernando'? :o

cheers james. i was surprised at the way you set up to be honest, was complacent of ferguson to think that he could play 4-3-3 and just boss it, even in the absence of gerrard and torres. kuyt and alonso were outstanding, our fullbacks had their best games for the club and mascherano was just unstoppable. force of nature stuff. hopefully we can take that effort and determination forward now.

and congratulations man, may i reccommend the name 'fernando'? :o

Thanks Stevie, I must say as good as you guys were, we were equally as bad so don't go booking your tickets to the Champions League final yet mate.

As for your suggested name, early days yet but will consider your suggestion in about 6 months time. I know the Mrs and I are kinda hoping for a girl, you think because of his blue eyes and blonde hair Fernando is a suitable name for a pooying? :D me too!

dam_n Gerrard. I chose Torres over him on my Champions League fantasy team as I could only have two from the same team and wanted Reina for sure.

But alas, a new highlight goal and a win for Liverpool reduces my fantasy concerns to rubbish.

Edited by Jimjim