Guarantee Letter From Uk Embassy With New Passport.

Hello

I went to transfer my Thai visa ( extension) from my old to new passport. They refused as I did not have a letter stating that this was a new authentic passport. Since when has this requirement been in place ? and can I have my visa transferred over to my new passport in Bangkok even though it was issued by rayong immigration.

Thanks.

The UK Embassy don't routinely issue this letter, especially, as you know, the applications are processed in Hong Kong and passports delivered from the UK.

I understand that a few Thai Immigration offices insist on this meaningless letter, as you have discovered. The UK Embassy will supply such a letter free of charge, but you have to submit both passports at the Embassy.

This is not related to visas for other countries, so I will move it to the Thai Visa section where you may get a response about doing it in Bangkok, though I suspect you will not be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You might try contacting the embassy in Bangkok about the letter and tell them your situation.

A recent report by a member stated that he had talked to them about it and was able to fax/email copies of passports to them and they mailed the letter to him.

Another report stated that he had used the credit card receipt for his new passport and that was accepted by immigration.

As said the UK Embassy will now provide such letter on request - it has always been a requirement from immigration for extension transfers but for some reason that Embassy did not provide (even when passports were issued there) - most countries routinely provide with new passport. Unless you have moved your extension needs to be transferred at the location it was issued.

and can I have my visa transferred over to my new passport in Bangkok even though it was issued by rayong immigration.

Its usually better to get your stamps transfered by the office who issued you with the stamp in the first place..ie in your case Rayong..BTW they dont transfer the visa, only the permission to stay stamp.

over the years I have had the stamps transferred to 3 new PP in Thailand and dont remember then even asking for a letter, not the BE provided them anyway

and can I have my visa transferred over to my new passport in Bangkok even though it was issued by rayong immigration.

Its usually better to get your stamps transfered by the office who issued you with the stamp in the first place..ie in your case Rayong..BTW they dont transfer the visa, only the permission to stay stamp.

over the years I have had the stamps transferred to 3 new PP in Thailand and dont remember then even asking for a letter, not the BE provided them anyway

My experience at Maptaput as well as recently as 2 months ago when I got the stamps transferred from my old to my new UK passport. The only problem I encountered was with the copies of the old and new passports which they asked me to provide along with the completed un-numbered Immigration Bureau request form. They didn't like the A5 copies I'd brought with me and insisted on A4 copies instead for reasons best known unto themselvessad.png

Does anyone have any up to date info as to whether Jomtien Immigration require such a letter from the British embassy as I need to get my extension of stay stamp transferred to my new passport. Thanks.

Mixed messages here as well, I think. According to the OP of the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533004-transfer-of-stamp-to-new-passport/ you do, but, according to the OP of the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628478-renewing-retirement-visa-and-then-tranfering-to-a-new-passport/ the notification which comes with your new passport should do the trick.

As far as both Maptaput and Jomtien at least are concerned, therefore, it would appear that the requirement for an Embassy letter depends on (1) whom you speak to, and, more importantly, (2) the side of the bed they got out of that morning. Attached to post #32 of the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533004-transfer-of-stamp-to-new-passport/ is an example of the letter issued by the Embassy.

Edited by OJAS

I received my new passport by DHL on April 20th. It was issued on April 13th my credit card was debited on April 3rd.

I never received a separate DHL letter with an original receipt as indicated by hyku1147. I assume this will now not be forthcoming. I wonder if they will accept a copy of my visa card statement. Failing that I will have to get an embassy letter...

I received my new passport by DHL on April 20th. It was issued on April 13th my credit card was debited on April 3rd.

I never received a separate DHL letter with an original receipt as indicated by hyku1147. I assume this will now not be forthcoming. I wonder if they will accept a copy of my visa card statement. Failing that I will have to get an embassy letter...

I renewed 2 passports last year. The first, for my daughter, I recieved the new passport from UK, and the credit card receipt from HK, by DHL on the same day. The second was mine. New passport received from UK in 2 weeks - impressive. But have never received any credit card, letter or anything else.

Stamps were transfered at Pathumthani without any request for an embassy letter.

Does anyone have any up to date info as to whether Jomtien Immigration require such a letter from the British embassy as I need to get my extension of stay stamp transferred to my new passport. Thanks.

They did not require it of me last year. They are busy in Jomtiem and do not make extra work for themselves.

I got my visa transfered to my new passport with no hassel at bangkok chamchuri square immigration. Nothing was requested just the 2 passports. Worth a try.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Believe you had an extension of stay/arrival/visa information transferred - Consulate visas are never transferred - and believe you were also a customer of that office as they do not normally serve others (BOI business one stop center).

I just changed mine too. The new Passport came naked, then a few days later I received my old Passport with all the validity stamps in and a receipt. I assume they send them separate for safety reasons.

You are not supposed to send your passport if in Thailand.

Lucky you! It took THREE WEEKS for my new passport to be issued last February after my credit card was debited!!

Not according to info on this webpage for renewing passport from Thailand that states the following.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Send a photocopy of the pages of your existing passport that show your personal details, photograph and residence permit or visa.

Keep your existing passport for security and ID purposes - don’t send it with your application.

The UK Embassy don't routinely issue this letter, especially, as you know, the applications are processed in Hong Kong and passports delivered from the UK. I understand that a few Thai Immigration offices insist on this meaningless letter, as you have discovered. The UK Embassy will supply such a letter free of charge, but you have to submit both passports at the Embassy. This is not related to visas for other countries, so I will move it to the Thai Visa section where you may get a response about doing it in Bangkok, though I suspect you will not be able to. Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I don't know about this being 'free'......I recently, (5 weeks ago) required the same 'passport verification' letter for Phuket immigration and the fee,(without digging out the receipt)was, around THB 1,360.00 from the Honorary British Consulate....?

I checked the form again. YOU DEFINITELY DO HAVE TO SEND YOUR PASSPORT. When returned the corners are cut to invalidate it.

Read the special instructions for submission from Thailand. You do not send your passport as you are required to have access to it at all times when inside the country of Thailand.

Unfortunately the UK Embassy web site for Bangkok is a total shambles at present as they are converting to a one size fits all from the UK so finding anything is more miss than hit at present - the current web site only provides a link to the general application process - and although that is set up by country would have to make application to find out the rules and as am not UK they might object to it. The procedure for Thailand has always been send only copies and when they had a real web site it was clearly stated.

Unfortunately the UK Embassy web site for Bangkok is a total shambles at present as they are converting to a one size fits all from the UK so finding anything is more miss than hit at present - the current web site only provides a link to the general application process - and although that is set up by country would have to make application to find out the rules and as am not UK they might object to it. The procedure for Thailand has always been send only copies and when they had a real web site it was clearly stated.

Agreed! The UK and anything to do with the UK is bloody expensive too. They quite a price or a UK Passport in £'s and I paid from a UK Sterling account and still they converted the cost from Sterling to Hong Kong and then reference to Thai Baht and back and managed to increase the price to 10,000 Baht. It's all run by Bankers. Did you know that he title "Bankers" was spelt with a silent "W"? Think about it lol

I did this just last week.

You do have to get a letter from the UK embassy(at imm' Chaeng wattana anyway). The letter is free, but you may have to wait a while, so get there early. My non B visa was transferred along with my extension of stay stamp. That was free too, I couldn't believe it!

Fine if you live in Bangkok - why not by EMS post with copies of both passports. You can get a new passport by just sending a copy of your old one.!!!

The new website for embassy is a complete and utter shambles

Fine if you live in Bangkok - why not by EMS post with copies of both passports. You can get a new passport by just sending a copy of your old one.!!!

The new website for embassy is a complete and utter shambles

By asking the Embassy very nicely as I did and pointing out to them that a 300km round trip to Bangkok from Rayong Province where I live would result in much inconvenience and expense for me, they were prepared to bend their rules in my case and allow me to request the letter by email with copies of my old and new passports.

They were even willing to issue me with a second letter in this way, owing to an error in the first regarding my latest entry date - for which, I hold my hands up, I was entirely responsible!

I then trotted off to Maptaput Immigration to get my current stamps transferred to the new passport, only to be not asked for the Embassy letter in the event! However, as I explained in a previous post on this thread, they did kick up an almighty fuss about the size of the passport copies I'd brought along with me!!

I personally think that the Embassy are very helpful and making the best of a bad job. IMHO our wrath would be more appropriately directed at the FCO big-wigs in their Whitehall ivory tower who seem solely dedicated to dreaming up in total secrecy and mystery dozy-daft procedures aimed purely at causing the maximum expense and inconvenience for us Brit expats.