Small Water Pump For 2 Storey Townhouse

jji23

Hello,

I require a new water pump for my house. I haven't changed my rusted and broken one from the flood. The landlady of the house has told us that the previous renters installed the pump and that she will not be replacing, fixing or contributing to a new one. The thing is, I have no experience in this area Ns was wondering if you guys could help me.

This is what I currently have or used to have before flood;

post-148548-13675711545884_thumb.jpg

As you can see its rusted and completely broken. I've looked at the hitachi thailand website but not sure of what model would best suit my needs. I'd also like to try to be as economical on cost as possible. Would also require professional installation.

Thanks

That looks like the bog-standard water pump that are available here although it's missing the plastic cover. Get them from any homeware outlet and fitting is a breeze by your local repair dude that somebody in your acquaintance is bound to recommend.

I'm surprised your landlady won't pay for it. Let her know that you'll be taking it with you when you move and she might reconsider. Also, see if you are able to mount it above the flood level on a plinth or shelf or something to avoid damage in the upcoming rainy season.

Thing to consider is water pressure.. (i might be wrong as im not that technical) but if you have low pressure you might want a stronger pump especially if you live in a house with 2 or more floors. I had a weaker pump before but now i got a strong one. It does give better water pressure.

I can't tell from the picture but are you using your pump in connection with a water tank or is the pump just pumping from the supply line ?

If the latter, it may be the reason she won't pay for a new pump, since pumping directly from the municipal lines is illegal in Thailand, as well as not being very efficient since you are restricted to the amount of water available via the supply line no matter what the size of your pump

I have a 200 Watt Hitachi waterpump for a 2 storey house (ground floor, 1. floor).

It works for more than a year now flawlessly.

Its one of the types seen in the picture on the upper row (the five from the left).

It is definitely strong enough. On the ground floor it is even a bit too much.

Be prepared that high pressure will eventually unveil new leaks and trigger some plumbing work.

Hitachi+Water+Pumps+on+Floor+Display+Oct

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes a water tank is a must, we got a 2000 lit underground one and never had problems with water shortages.

We got a Hitachi pump as well, they are good solid pumps, ours cost app. 5000 bath and will likely last app. 5 years.

I am not surprised that your land lady will have nothing to do with it, typical Thai. Yes as others mention tell her you move out if she don't install a working pump in your townhouse.

Never heard about a 2 story house in Thailand without a pump?

I have a 200 Watt Hitachi waterpump for a 2 storey house (ground floor, 1. floor).

Its one of the types seen in the picture on the upper row (the five from the left).

Be prepared that high pressure will eventually unveil new leaks and trigger some plumbing work.

I got a 250 w one and no leaks so far will be hell if it starts to leak as most pipes are in the walls especially those leading upstairs.

If you look at the pump you will find make and model NO stamped on it. If the last one worked ok before get the same to replace or just one that has a bit more power simple to fit if you look at ware the water comes in and out there is a flange with two bolt's on it just undo the bolt's 'after you have turned the water off first use the washers from the new one re bolt up connect the wire and you'll be away or as others have pointed out ask at the shop ware you buy it they will have a peep's that can do the job Tip, keep the old one so when you move out you can just put it back and take your new one. Around 5,000bt

Edited by fredob43

I got a 250 w one and no leaks so far will be hell if it starts to leak as most pipes are in the walls especially those leading upstairs.

Don't worry about the pipes, It is mostly the glued joints and the taps that start dripping.

But seems you are lucky!

Just a quick question regarding pumps...

You can see in the picture, two types of pump. The upper row are what are known as, I think, "Constant Pressure Pumps". The lower row, I am not sure what name they are known by. However, there are two distinct pump types.

I notice the OP's photo shows his old pump to be of the lower row type, but khunBENQ is recommending a pump from the upper row (constant pressure) which he has used.

My question(s) is...What is difference in two types of pump?. And which type would you use for a two story house in conjunction with a storage tank?

The non tank models I have (heard - as in actually heard) are a real pain in the ear. On/off with extremely loud solenoid valve activating every time water is used. The tank type stores water under pressure so only fills when gets below a set amount - water flow will have slight ebb and tide effect as anyone who has had a home with well would know about but suspect more economical in electric usage and from my previous use and experience normally less noisy.

The non tank models I have (heard - as in actually heard) are a real pain in the ear. On/off with extremely loud solenoid valve activating every time water is used. The tank type stores water under pressure so only fills when gets below a set amount - water flow will have slight ebb and tide effect as anyone who has had a home with well would know about but suspect more economical in electric usage and from my previous use and experience normally less noisy.

Just one caveat though, if you have a tank hot water heater (versus the on demand type) then you must not purchase the tank model. I learned the hard way after buying an expensive Grundfos brand pump with the air bladder (which is what the tank actually is) The only advantages of the grudfos was that they are basically silent and of course higher quality than the Hitachi

Thank you...

In the photo, the lower pumps (larger) are with tank and the upper pumps (smaller) are without tank, correct?

Edited by rawhod

The pumps in the upper part of the picture are constant pressure type which pretty much run continuously when a tap is turned on...but most of them do have a small/approx. 1 liter in size pressure container (bottle shaped) that screws into the manifold assembly and allows a very small draw of water (a few ounces) from a tap/from a slow leak to occur before the pump would turn-on to repressurize/refill the 1 liter pressure container/screw on bottle.

The pumps in the lower part of the picture set on a 10-20 liter pressure tank, which allows approx. 1 liter of water to be drawn from a tap/occur from a leak before the pump turns on to fully repressurize the 10-20 liter pressure tank. Usually, if running one tap full blast or taking a shower the tank will run about 50% of the time and be off 50% of the time...say 5 seconds on, then 5 seconds off....and continue to repeat this cycle until the tap is turned off. Now the pressure from these tank is not as constant pressure as a constant pressure tank but the pressure variation is small due to the large pressure tank and probably unnoticeable for all practical purposes.

My neighbor has the constant pressure type....I have the other type. It may be what a person gets use to, but personally I prefer my type which runs on that approx. 50/50 on/off cycle versus the neighbor's pump that runs the entire time when water is being drawn during a shower, using the water hose, etc. Then again, with my type you hear the clicking off and on of the pump more often. And the pressure variation in mine is practically unnoticeable unless you decide to watch how far your water hose will shot water as the pump cycles on and off.

The constant pressure types generally cost more than the other type...and based on experiences from my neighbors/friends tend to break more often...especially the motor since it runs a lot more. From me walking the dogs around the moobaan everyday and being able to see into neighbors yards I would estimate 90% have the kind of pump I have and the remaining 10% the constant pressure type. I have a two story house with three bathrooms and my Mitsubishi 250 watt of the design shown in the lower part of the picture works just fine...plenty of water volume/pressure upstairs and around the house. Just my experience...your results and preferences may (will) vary.

The pumps in the upper part of the picture are constant pressure type which pretty much run continuously when a tap is turned on...but most of them do have a small/approx. 1 liter in size pressure container (bottle shaped) that screws into the manifold assembly and allows a very small draw of water (a few ounces) from a tap/from a slow leak to occur before the pump would turn-on to repressurize/refill the 1 liter pressure container/screw on bottle.

The pumps in the lower part of the picture set on a 10-20 liter pressure tank, which allows approx. 1 liter of water to be drawn from a tap/occur from a leak before the pump turns on to fully repressurize the 10-20 liter pressure tank. Usually, if running one tap full blast or taking a shower the tank will run about 50% of the time and be off 50% of the time...say 5 seconds on, then 5 seconds off....and continue to repeat this cycle until the tap is turned off. Now the pressure from these tank is not as constant pressure as a constant pressure tank but the pressure variation is small due to the large pressure tank and probably unnoticeable for all practical purposes.

My neighbor has the constant pressure type....I have the other type. It may be what a person gets use to, but personally I prefer my type which runs on that approx. 50/50 on/off cycle versus the neighbor's pump that runs the entire time when water is being drawn during a shower, using the water hose, etc. Then again, with my type you hear the clicking off and on of the pump more often. And the pressure variation in mine is practically unnoticeable unless you decide to watch how far your water hose will shot water as the pump cycles on and off.

The constant pressure types generally cost more than the other type...and based on experiences from my neighbors/friends tend to break more often...especially the motor since it runs a lot more. From me walking the dogs around the moobaan everyday and being able to see into neighbors yards I would estimate 90% have the kind of pump I have and the remaining 10% the constant pressure type. I have a two story house with three bathrooms and my Mitsubishi 250 watt of the design shown in the lower part of the picture works just fine...plenty of water volume/pressure upstairs and around the house. Just my experience...your results and preferences may (will) vary.

Excellent reply and description...Thank you.