Cutting Thin Farang Hair

Andrew Mac

Hi everyone

Please forgive the dumb question that follows. I *did* have a search through the forum, but either I'm just plain stupid or not many people have asked before. So here goes ...

My hair is particularly fine and thin, even by farang standards, and (not being a hairdresser myself) I'm not really sure whether I should be OK going to any local hairdresser, or if I really be looking for a hairdresser who has some experience with "farang hair". It seems to me that Asian people generally have quite thick, healthy hair, and I imagine that cutting thicker hair may well have a completely different set of requirements to thin (and ... um, to be honest ... also thin-ning) hair like mine.

I guess it would be good to find someone who understands English fairly well too, so I have a reasonably good chance of getting them to understand how I'd like to get my hair cut. Back in Australia, I used to go to the same hairdresser almost all the time, and they basically new what I wanted without asking. I didn't really have to tell them much at all.

I'm in the Nimmanhaemin Road area, by the way, and something close by would be perfect, as I'm here for at least a year and I'd like to find someone I can get to easily whenever I need a cut!

Thanks in advance for any advice any of you might like to give :-)

I too have thin falang hair.

I normally use a barber over on the road by the Train station. The barber is close to the intersection of Charoen Muang Road.

Now, since not only is my hair baby fine, it is also oily, I opt for the "Short" style, but they seem to do a fine job no matter how you get it cut. I have seen other Falangs there getting various lengths of hair cut.

Look at the bright side, if they <deleted> up the cut, it will grow back.

Another idea is that when you next go back to Oz and your favourite barber, you take photos from all angles of what it looks like when finished, and present these to the Thai barber when back here.

I have had to settle for a slightly different cut than I am used to, but it does not matter so much in the end.

I've used the same hairdresser who has her own little shop (moved several times) and I'm sticking with her! (Just like dentists by the way, once you find one you like, never change a winning team.) ( Hmm.. might apply to other trades & crafts as well)

Anyway, just 70 baht. Don't even know if she speaks English or not.

The (tiny) shop is currently on Ratchamankha road, close to the Western city moat, on the left, before you get to the first traffic light intersection.

Cheers,

Chanchao

<disclaimer: shameless advertising for brother in-law>

He is a partner in the shop just west of the Orchid Hotel on Huay Khao with the big L'Oreal sign atop. He has trained in both Australia and Canada. They have lots of Farang customers. I've known the other partners for years, since they got out of high school.

I have found that most hairdressers have no idea how to cut a guy's hair so don't even try. While the L'oreal guy was not bad, he is MUCH more expensive than anywhere else.

Personally, I found two barbers that can cut decently. One is directly across the street from the Phrasing Post Office. The other is about a block closer towards Wat Phrasing. They charge me 40-60 baht. They are the best I've found but it's still not like a cut I'd get back home.

I like "PIYAWADEE" upstairs from McDonalds at the Chiang Mai pavilion in the night bazaar. They do a good job and they get loads of foreigners so they are used to cutting western hair. They also speak english and give a nice shampoo/head massage.

:o