Honda PCX advice about racket from beltdrive

touch

Hi first of all a disclaimer, I know practically nothing about the mechanical side of motor bikes.

I just bought a PCX 125 second hand from brother in law. Around 5000 km on the clock. Everything is fine driving wise, and handling and response to throttle is OK.

However, at speeds around 15-20 km/h there is an audible racket coming from the gearbox/belt drive.

Asked BiL about it and he said it has always been that way and that the mechanics at Honda said it's a sound coming from the "rear belt drive" and that "all PCX's has it".

Took it to the local Honda dealer in Pakchong today and asked them to have a look. They drove it around the block and came back and said there wasn't anything unusual about it.

"All PCX's are like that"

I haven't read or heard anything about it being an inherent racket on the PCX bike and I'm feeling really uneasy. It's LOUD!

I'm not sure if it's still there at higher speeds because the engine and wind makes it hard to hear if it is there.

Can anyone give any advice as to what is the best way to proceed. And does anone know if there is indeed a loud belt drive/gear box on the PCX?

Thanks

I once bought a new PCX 125 which had the exact same problem, and the dealer also told me that nothing was wrong. So I think that it is correct, that more or less all PCX 125´s have this "problem".

Today I drive PCX 150 and for this new model, they have now modified the belt-drive system, so it doesn´t have this noise anymore.

Edited by Xonax

I once bought a new PCX 125 which had the exact same problem, and the dealer also told me that nothing was wrong. So I think that it is correct, that more or less all PCX 125´s have this "problem".

Today I drive PCX 150 and for this new model, they have now modified the belt-drive system, so it doesn´t have this noise anymore.

Wrong ,my PCX150 has the same problem at very low speed and with a cold engine .When the motor heats up it goes away .Its not just a noise but also a vibration as if the drive belt is loose .

• Like 1

Wrong ,my PCX150 has the same problem at very low speed and with a cold engine .When the motor heats up it goes away .Its not just a noise but also a vibration as if the drive belt is loose .

Agreed,I have the 150 and upon start up if you just ease the throttle it vibrates like hell till you get up a little speed,it's not a problem just a characteristic of the design no doubts.

It's not a Bug it's a feature....wink.png

Still, strange that they didn't rectify it in what is now the third(?) generation PCX.

The racket doesn't go away when the engine has run for a while, as soon as I'm on low speed I can hear it very clearly.

To use some "tech speak", It sounds as something that should be round, isn't.

Anyway, glad to hear that it isn't going to blow up under me,,probably

Same problems my PCX150, Nyhon Panich [spelling] never did sort it out in spite of putting a new belt on twice, and a new part containing a needle roller bearing. Took it to a different Honda dealer for a sticking throttle problem at which time they drove the bike around for 50 minutes trying to replicate the sticking throttle, what they did I do not know but ever since, some two months and about 1,500 Ks later it has been as smooth as silk. Throttle has been OK until today when the throttle stuck open again. When I get killed on it because the throttle wont let the bike decelerate I just hope the wife sues Honda.

Could be?

Worn/slack belt

15-20kms is the transition between clutch engaged and not engaged or the transition between belt driving and being driven. That is that the top of the belt is normally in tension when riding but on deceleration the bottom of the belt is in tension so the top can flap/vibrate a small amount. Could be that 15-20kph is a transition point.

Weights are sloppy in the channels in the variator and rattle

Noise on deceleration is a worn sloppy belt.

If this is happening to all pcx, thai mechs i am sure refuse to accept this as a problem and will say it is normal so it will even be hell to let them change a belt or let them try to understand or solve this problem. They will simply refuse to do something. Sad but true.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If it was mine, I'd trow a new aftermarket belt in it, take the variator apart, clean the old grease and apply fresh stuff (some variators do not require grease, not sure about the one on PCX but I think it wouldn't hurt anything), also take some fine sandpaper and rub on the variator's pressure plates where the v-belt rides, over time the surface becomes glazed and there could also be some surface groves that aren't doing anything good.

I think that would invalidate the warranty, and I'm not really mechanically inclined.

Thanks for the suggestion though,I'll see if I can get any of the mechanics to try and work some magic

If this is happening to all pcx, thai mechs i am sure refuse to accept this as a problem and will say it is normal so it will even be hell to let them change a belt or let them try to understand or solve this problem. They will simply refuse to do something. Sad but true.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think that what you say is true. The problem experienced by the OP may happen to many PCX owners, but certainly not all. I have a PCX 125 and a PCX 150, and I have never had the problem as described by the OP with either bike. There is no "an audible racket coming from the gearbox/belt drive" of either bike and there never has been. I do have a noticeable vibration when I start the PCX 125 for the first time that day and give it full throttle, enough that the top of the storage box on the back rattles a bit. That vibration disappears after 30 or so seconds or sooner if I back off of the throttle. I have no such vibration with the 150. The vibration problem has never seemed serious enough to have it checked by the Honda shop. The "same on all PCXs" is an excuse, not a justification/explanation to leave it as it is. It may be a "minor" problem, and not worth the time and effort to remedy, but it is not, I think, "normal" or necessary.

There seem to be many different experience with this problem. Some have it some not.

That in itself should indicate that even if "normal" it should be solvable.

I'll have to try and find another PCX and compare it with, preferably at the dealer's.

If they are going to let me compare with another bike that's in for service, that's another story.

I have the same vibration on my PCX150, and had it on my previous 125. Started after about first 1,500 kms.

I seem to remember reading (I think it was here on TV forums), that someone cured it by putting a thin washer in/on the variator, to slightly increase the grip.

Well, took the bike to the local Honda dealer today and insisted they take it apart and check variator,bearings and belt.

They did that and showed me there was no sound when the bike was stationary. As soon as we took it oitnformamtest run, there it was again.

They insisted that there was nothing wrong with it and, Eben if there was a sound, it wouldn't hurt the bike.

The reiterated that some PCXs sound louder than others and that it was a characteristic of the PCX.

Everything else is OK with the bike so I'm inclined to let it be if no one has a better idea.

Thanks for all your help

My 250 Aprilia, made in Italy, makes the same sound. So does my friends Aprilia 250. I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to be a characteristic of many CV belt-drive bikes.

I only wish that bike was here instead of being in Florida! That's the bike in my avatar.

Did you check the thread on the recall of the PCX for some rear wheel replacement? It's not specified exactly what the problem was, but it is clear there was an issue with some early release models. Maybe related to the noise?