Honda cbr650 2014

I just rode my 500 from BKK to chiang mai. No need for a "big" engine to do that.

Dude I struggle, I have 500 and when traffic is doing 120-130 and you need to overtake this when that smaller engine becomes a bit of a problem. Not to mention a pick up smoking me on a straight line. Also at 130-140 motorway cruising fuel consumption is so much higher,

I want to have more torque and the sound of a 4 cylinder.

@sup3r1or.....DUDE, get the Honda CBR650F....forget the 500, they should have named it the "CB475X" as it's actually a 471cc engine. You are right about the inline 4, nothing beats it for smoothness. And the CBR650 has a 649cc engine. Don't talk about 1st big bike....because these are not big bikes where I come from....middle weights, is more like it. Be cool when you ride it, and don't be foolish....you'll be happy later, trust me. Buy the 500 and get tired of it in a month...trust me. Wasting money if you think it's a good idea to start off on the 500....you will lose a lot of baht as nobody wants the 500, the Kawasaki Ninja 300 outselling it as we speak. As for all you Kawasaki lovers out there, I had 3 Z900s from the 1970,s back when they were king of the road, honestly, this Ninja 650 is hideously designed!! Ugly assed bike as most of Kawasaki bikes are. Go for the Honda....nothing beats the quality control, either.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just rode my 500 from BKK to chiang mai. No need for a "big" engine to do that.

Dude I struggle, I have 500 and when traffic is doing 120-130 and you need to overtake this when that smaller engine becomes a bit of a problem. Not to mention a pick up smoking me on a straight line. Also at 130-140 motorway cruising fuel consumption is so much higher,

@sup3r1or.....DUDE, get the Honda CBR650F....forget the 500, they should have named it the "CB475X" as it's actually a 471cc engine. You are right about the inline 4, nothing beats it for smoothness. And the CBR650 has a 649cc engine. Don't talk about 1st big bike....because these are not big bikes where I come from....middle weights, is more like it. Be cool when you ride it, and don't be foolish....you'll be happy later, trust me. Buy the 500 and get tired of it in a month...trust me. Wasting money if you think it's a good idea to start off on the 500....you will lose a lot of baht as nobody wants the 500, the Kawasaki Ninja 300 outselling it as we speak. As for all you Kawasaki lovers out there, I had 3 Z900s from the 1970,s back when they were king of the road, honestly, this Ninja 650 is hideously designed!! Ugly assed bike as most of Kawasaki bikes are. Go for the Honda....nothing beats the quality control, either.

Are you kidding? Do you own a 500 series or saying something just to say something?

I own a cbr500r and it is a great bike everywhere, be it track ot road.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

IMO sup3r1 should stick to his CBR 500 or at least learn how to ride it at its full potential before moving up. I have been riding a CBR 150 for the last 3 years, which was my first motorcycle ever. My first year I would only drive up to 100kmh. Now I can easily cruise at 120kmh-130kmh. If I need to I can even get up to 140kmh or 150kmh. This on a 149cc motorcycle. Now I suppose a 471cc motorcycle can easily do better if ridden correctly. BTW when ever you decide or ride faster you will always use up more gas.

I would like to buy the CBR 650 as I feel I have a lot more experience than before and I could use a bigger bike as I have to ride bigger roads now always tapping out the poor little 149cc CBR 150. IMO the CBR 650 isn't for everyone.

Sup3r1 stick to your CBR 500 for another year and if it still isn't enough for you then get the CBR 650 then.

You sound very knowledgable about the

CB650. How far have you ridden on one?

Are you kidding? Do you own a 500 series or saying something just to say something?

I own a cbr500r and it is a great bike everywhere, be it track ot road.

He did not said that it's a poor bike, but simply that the 650 is absolutely fine as medium weight first bike, also under an economical point of view. Things that I agree with.

The speed you can 'cruise' at isn't a reflection of how well you can ride a motorbike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you don't feel comfortable using the full power of your motorcycle then would you need a bigger one? Or if you don't know how to get to peak power.

Very few big bike owners use the full power of their bike especially in Thailand!

True. My only point is if a rider doesn't have enough experience riding, then maybe he should wait a little before moving up.

I'm not saying you have to pin the throttle every time you ride. You should know how to use the power, in case of other motorist. Crazy truck drivers, vans, taxies, buses, and the most unpredictable cars in the world. Even the other scooters. Be careful out on the streets of amazing Thailand.

Are you kidding? Do you own a 500 series or saying something just to say something?I own a cbr500r and it is a great bike everywhere, be it track ot road.

He did not said that it's a poor bike, but simply that the 650 is absolutely fine as medium weight first bike, also under an economical point of view. Things that I agree with.

A cbr650f which is a 87 hp 210 kg inline four is not a beginner bike.

Are you trying to kill people paz? Please dont mislead beginner or returning riders in a dangerous way.

Cbr500 is a perfect choice for a beginner if not cbr250. Light, enough power, forgiving bikes, cool handling and versatile bikes to do it all. These bikes give essentials of riding in a good way besides a you dont get bored from a cbr500r that easily especially in thailand where you cannot use its full power in roads anyway.

What's with all this talk about using the full power?! You don't see everyone driving around in 1L eco-cars do you! People choose bikes for different reasons and, as long as they don't ride them like a tw@t, then it doesn't matter how many cc they are. Some buy them because they are physically bigger so more comfortable, some buy because they are better quality and with higher spec suspension, brakes etc, some buy because of power/over-taking ability, some buy for how it makes them feel or bragging rights and some buy because it gives them a hard-on when they walk out the house! Each to their own :-)

Are you trying to kill people paz? Please dont mislead beginner or returning riders in a dangerous way.

Cbr500 is a perfect choice for a beginner if not cbr250. Light, enough power, forgiving bikes, cool handling and versatile bikes to do it all. These bikes give essentials of riding in a good way besides a you dont get bored from a cbr500r that easily especially in thailand where you cannot use its full power in roads anyway.

If you can't restrain yourself no bike are safe for you, I seen some tourists in Pattaya going like mad on small Thai scooters and they are asking for it.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/29/russian-falls-off-bridge-after-a-motorbike-crash-in-pattaya/

I jumped on a Ducati Hyperstrada with 110 hp for a test ride after app. 3 years not riding any bikes over 150cc, no problem but then again, I restrained myself and not trying being the fastest guy on the block.

Okay with that being said, some people can ride a bike and some can't, if you never been riding a bike before and you fell uncomfortable about it, don't buy a cbr 650 but rather try/buy a cbr 300 or something like that. The Kawa 300 looks very sexy and can still propel you down the road at 160 km/h.

Are you kidding? Do you own a 500 series or saying something just to say something?I own a cbr500r and it is a great bike everywhere, be it track ot road.

Do not agree. I think that for a responsible, mature person there is nothing wrong buying the 650 as first bike assuming they know how to drive a relaxed medium weight. I know many people that did like that over the years, no problem.

In other words yes personally I can consider the Honda 650 as an "advanced beginner's bike".

It's the driving (own or other's) that cause accidents, not the bike in itself.

If you can't restrain yourself, no bike are safe for you,

True.

My near death experience today.

Unfortunately some riders just aren't good enough to ride maturely/safely in places they need to. :(

Do not agree. I think that for a responsible, mature person there is nothing wrong buying the 650 as first bike assuming they know how to drive a relaxed medium weight. I know many people that did like that over the years, no problem.

In other words yes personally I can consider the Honda 650 as an "advanced beginner's bike".

It's the driving (own or other's) that cause accidents, not the bike in itself.

So you agree on the fact that a cbr650f is not a beginner bike.

And what does advance beginner or advance beginner bike means man?

New terms and concepts for new year?

And for using full power of a bike, it is all about straight line perfromance for many here i guess!

A cbr500r can keep up with liter bikes and there are witnesses about that in this forum.

Why all this talking about CBR500? Imo the CBR650 is a "entry level inline four", similar to the Benelli 600cc. It doesn't have high performance and it doesn't have high specs. Perfect for riders who want to upgrade from a smaller bike. Of course they could also buy a Ninja or such things. Not a big difference from the needed skills.

If you can't restrain yourself no bike are safe for you, I seen some tourists in Pattaya going like mad on small Thai scooters and they are asking for it.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/29/russian-falls-off-bridge-after-a-motorbike-crash-in-pattaya/

I jumped on a Ducati Hyperstrada with 110 hp for a test ride after app. 3 years not riding any bikes over 150cc, no problem but then again, I restrained myself and not trying being the fastest guy on the block.

Okay with that being said, some people can ride a bike and some can't, if you never been riding a bike before and you fell uncomfortable about it, don't buy a cbr 650 but rather try/buy a cbr 300 or something like that. The Kawa 300 looks very sexy and can still propel you down the road at 160 km/h.

Agreed, all bikes go as fast as you twist the throttle, they are not like horses with a mind of their own. If you have no road sense or self discipline then you shouldn't be on any bike but certainly not a powerful bike.

Lots of BS on this forum like "I can't buy a big bike because I'd ride it 250 kph everywhere and kill myself" like this level of stupidity is some kind of a badge of honour. A 650f is fine as a first bike IF you're not a complete idiot. Keep it under 5k rpm and it's a great learner bike.

Edit for typo...

Edited by JonnyF

A 48bhp 500 twin can keep up with 180 bhp litre bike really!

Maybe on some <deleted> roads but get on some decent Tarmac no way.

It wouldn't even keep up with a 120 bhp 600 cc.

I know you love these bikes ll but don't get carried away

Edited by taninthai

Agreed, all bikes go as fast as you twist the throttle, they are not like horses with a mind of their own. If you have no road sense or self discipline then you shouldn't be on any bike but certainly not a powerful bike.

Lots of BS on this forum like "I can't buy a big bike because I'd ride it 250 kph everywhere and kill myself" like this level of stupidity is some kind of a badge of honour. A 650f is fine as a first bike IF you're not a complete idiot. Keep it under 5k rpm and it's a great learner bike.

Edit for typo...

That's true but still faster bikes will tend to make you drive faster. I can say that cause often iam realizing that iam driving faster than thinking on my r6 than riding less powerfully bikes. But an ER6 is not an R6 so that's a different story and yes they suit more or less beginner's. In the end everybody need to decide by themselves if they can handle it or not. And idiots will crash on every bike...

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think power to weight is more of an issue than outright horsepower. You put an inexperienced rider on any machine of any cc with lots of power and low weight your bound to have trouble. Put the same rider on a cruiser and he lives to a ripe old age.

It's all about the rider. If the rider doesn't feel comfortable on their machine then any bike can keep up with any other bike.

Two years ago I went on a motorcycle trip because I had a friend that owned a CBR 150 and wanted to go with a bunch of liter bike. Thought the whole trip me and my friend where they only ones on CBR 150s everyone else was on liter bike. There was a guy riding a Fireblade riding two up. He was some what of a beginner, well at least on a liter bike. Thought the whole trip I was able to stay behind him and even in front of him. At the time I was only riding for 6 months. On the twisty bits I could keep up with the group.

With the conditions of the roads, if you've lived in Thailand long enough you already know. The roads can be more unpredictable than some of the others on the road.

At legal to supralegal speeds, sure can. Of course, if you riding like this post, than the supersports will leave the wee 500 behind quite quickly. But if your only goal on a ride is to go like this, please add me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy.

Note to all:

I have nothing against big power bikes. But those that measure their manhood in them...well you've heard this before. Much more respect for those that can hustle the small displacement bikes around and ride them to the BIKE'S limit (which is much higher than most of us forum members, including the Rossi-wannabes, limits) rather than simply being able to pucker up their bungholes through a corner they nearly stop for and then grab a big handful of throttle as if their bike's capabilities are actually the rider's...

A cbr500r can keep up with liter bikes and there are witnesses about that in this forum.

Real Biker Alert. :D

Incompotent biker alert! With a black cbr250:D

Tanin, it is all about your xp level and competence my friend.

Maybe you cannot but some can.

If you cannot do it, it does not mean othets cant do it as well!

ll it was a bold statement to make. when you simply say cbr500 can keep up with litre bike.obviously depends on riders ,but two equally talented riders and the 500 twin would obviously be left behind by 1000cc or 600cc.

geez rossi would leave you behind on a cbr250 and you on your 500,but we don't come with comments cbr250 can keep up with 500 do we now

Edited by taninthai

ll it was a bold statement to make. when you simply say cbr500 can keep up with litre bike.obviously depends on riders ,but two equally talented riders and the 500 twin would obviously be left behind by 1000cc or 600cc.

geez rossi would leave you behind on a cbr250 and you on your 500,but we don't come with comments cbr250 can keep up with 500 do we now

We can at legal speeds and i think you understand what i mean.

Also for twisty roads, a nimble and light bike can outhandle a heavy one as well.

But if you mean straight line performance on a straight road for kms, of course a liter bike smokes a 500 cc twin.

^

off coarse ........ we agree.

maybe word your statement better next time e.g. i can keep up with some litre bikes on my 500 cc would be a better statement,I've ridden my 600 around the uk with a mate on a fazer 1000cc and off coarse i can stay with him cause we are not riding like lunatics,but at the end of the day he has the extra power and if he wants to he can easily start pulling away from me.