Honda cbr650 2014

Now that some time has passed and a few members here have received their CB®650F, I wanted to ask if anyone other than templedog is having the heat issue.

I took the CB650F for a testride a few months ago and really liked it. Was enough power for me coming from a CBR500R and doing mostly commute style riding in Phuket. A bit more torque would have been nice but I guess that's always the case smile.png From a bang for the buck point of view, it's one of the best options here in Thailand.

I spent some time today at Bigwing and I really get itchy every time I see this bike. I want it. But the heat from the engine is just something I think I wont be happy with in the long run. So I basically want to hear if that's a non-issue for most owners or maybe just some bikes are affected?

LL2 you said the heat is comparable to your 500. I have one too and I noticed a huge difference. The 500 doesn't get so hot that it's anywhere near uncomfortable. Wonder if I did something wrong :/

Hello, I've figured out that I am just not used to riding a "big bike" in Thailand. It is my first here, so I was shocked at how hot my CBR650 got. And, it takes hours to cool down. I'm from New York City and had a GSXR750 over there, with the cooler nights, heat was never an issue. Well, BKK is a frying pan, so....yeah I noticed the heat, and I burned my leg wearing shorts, too. I never ride with shorts anymore. I believe the other fellows on this thread that it's not hotter than other bikes. It's just Bangkok!

Has anyone found a good shop for after-market thingies....mirrors, sliders, clutch/brake levers...etc.?? Cheers, Joe

check the shops advertised at mocyc.com market.

also check cbr650f thai forum. many shops post there.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is anyone else having problems with power loss and hesitation under 4000rpms when cold?

I can 101% guarantee ll is not having or will have any problems wink.png

Just kidding a bit & hope you do not have one either Joe

What are you getting? A stumble in rpm?

Edited by mania

Is anyone else having problems with power loss and hesitation under 4000rpms when cold?

I can 101% guarantee ll is not having or will have any problems wink.png

Just a weird hesitation in power. Whether starting out slow or spirited, the engine won't have it. A bit scary when you are clutching out in a turn and you get a much less than expected and very non-linear delivery of power. Takes a few minutes to go away. Very, very noticeable. Punch it a bit during this time (I normally wouldn't on a cold engine, but just to see what would happen) and I get what I can only describe as complete waffling from the engine. Get the RPMS up and it's not noticable anymore. I cant describe it more than that.

Anyway, headed to Honda now.

Edited by NomadJoe

Just a weird hesitation in power. Whether starting out slow or spirited, the engine won't have it. A bit scary when you are clutching out in a turn and you get a much less than expected and very non-linear delivery of power. Takes a few minutes to go away. Very, very noticeable. Punch it a bit during this time (I normally wouldn't on a cold engine, but just to see what would happen) and I get what I can only describe as complete waffling from the engine. Get the RPMS up and it's not noticable anymore. I cant describe it more than that.

Yeah it is so new your right to just take it to Honda & have them sort it.

Could be whoever prepped the intake filter may have overdone it

Or ECU related but that would be surprising

But if after a few minutes it clears?

Then it could just be cold blooded & always need a good warm-up?

Edited by mania

Yeah it is so new your right to just take it to Honda & have them sort it.

Could be whoever prepped the intake filter may have overdone it

Or ECU related but that would be surprising

But if after a few minutes it clears?

Then it could just be cold blooded & always need a good warm-up?

I was going to guess an ECU issue. What with emissions control being such a hot topic, and a cold engine being the least efficient, perhaps it is by design to run the engine lean and warm it up faster.

Yep, I already felt it when the bike was cold and being a little shy on the throttle. A bit scary when you try to insert into traffic....

I always thought it was because the engine was cold... Let us know if Honda have another explanation.

Cheers

Yep, I already felt it when the bike was cold and being a little shy on the throttle. A bit scary when you try to insert into traffic....

I always thought it was because the engine was cold... Let us know if Honda have another explanation.

Cheers

If it is more than say 2-3 minutes into a ride I would say it is more than

a matter of being warmed up.

Cheers

Interesting others are experiencing this too, so may be "normal". I would say 2-3 minutes is about right. I try to let it idle for a minute a bit before riding off but it still does it. I don't remember any of my other 4cyl's doing this. Feels like bad carbs, if it had carbs.

I run E10 in it because that is all I can get around here. Perhaps I will try Benzine next fill up and see what changes.

It has always been within the first minute the bike was tuning... Since then, I let it warm longer before going anywhere.

I would consider that pretty normal then

While FI bikes are usually ridable sooner you can still tell

basically when it drops from fast idle to normal it is ready.

Usually less time than takes you to put on gloves & helmet if

you start it then do those things.

Older air cooled carbed bikes they use to put their hand on the fins or rocker covers &

if almost too hot to touch then ready to go

Edited by mania

Cheers

Interesting others are experiencing this too, so may be "normal". I would say 2-3 minutes is about right. I try to let it idle for a minute a bit before riding off but it still does it. I don't remember any of my other 4cyl's doing this. Feels like bad carbs, if it had carbs.

I run E10 in it because that is all I can get around here. Perhaps I will try Benzine next fill up and see what changes.

If it's the E10...you may need 2 tanks to ensure that it was diluted down and flushed out.

But definitely try warming it up on the E10...then try taking off as usual with the benzine and another go of that warmed up. If it produces the same result without warm up no matter if benzine or E10 is in there...it's not the fuel's fault.

yep, having the same.

i let my bike warm up 3-4 minutes and rev it a bit over 6000 rpm during this time and it helps, no problems.

had the same with my cbr600rr before too but cbr650f is a bit more cold blooded but not too much.

asked it to Bigwing and they say fine.

i believe it is normal. i had friends before heating up their inline four bikes 30 minutes while they are eating breakfast. for an inline four, reaching a good operating temperature is important.

I can 101% guarantee ll is not having or will have any problems

well mania...it is good that you are just kiddingbiggrin.png a little bit humour is good.

although i love honda and honda ruleslaugh.png still it is not my father's company, please keep in mind.

Edited by ll2

It has always been within the first minute the bike was tuning... Since then, I let it warm longer before going anywhere.

1 minute is too less for a good warm up. On my 250R i let it get to the 2nd bar or 3rd bar which is the optimum temperature indicator to get going as per the manual. Does the 650 not have a similar temperature indicator and optimum temp range listed in the manual?

Usually takes me 2-3 minutes to see the 1st bar, another 2 minutes for the other 2 to show up before i set off every morning which is why i start the bike and spend a good 5 minutes gearing up so i don't waste time. tongue.png

Its because the oil doesn't get warm enough to start circulating through the pump when the engine is cold. Cold engine = thicker oil = slow circulation = which makes it harder for the moving parts to operate efficiently. At extreme cold temperatures a 5 min warm up is necessary... Otherwise 1-2 minutes is more than enough. I totally rely on the temp gauge to tell me that the optimum operating temperature has been reached at 2 bars. Back in the 80s and earlier the only way to ensure the engine is warmed up was to put your hand on the cylinder head and if it was too hot to keep your hand there for a few seconds, you are free to ride away.

arrow usa made a full system for cb and cbr650f.

for the ones like a traditional exhaust on the side of the bike. looks good.

no dyno or info but can but it can be bought as pipe, cat converter, exhaust and collectors.

but prefer two bros full system, a lot neat and less bulky under the bike. also easier for traffic and no burns. or heat - last three photos.

post-184955-0-00384700-1409836394_thumb.

post-184955-0-38415000-1409836398_thumb.

post-184955-0-34418700-1409836402_thumb.

post-184955-0-27234600-1409836406_thumb.

post-184955-0-85022400-1409836409_thumb.

post-184955-0-76713400-1409836412_thumb.

post-184955-0-04570700-1409836428_thumb.

^

nearly 6,5 hp more! especially killer after 9000 rpm!

also arrow's collectors look better than twin bros.

strange this dyno shows the stock as 81+ hp. so far i see we see 74 hp, 76 hp, 78 hp.

i think with a full system, air filter and a dynojet and bazzaz, we can extract something from these bikes!

and kill that dip 5000-6000 rpm where the bike is at normal legal riding speed. economy dip lets say.

custom two piece seat for bc and cbr650f. not bad! it really change the looks of the bike in a nice sportier way. do not like banana seats much although they are more comfy.

3000 thb but pillion seat looks a bit high and rider seat a bit low for my taste - possibly they do it for someone with low inseam. And once you unlock, only pillion seat opens which is also nice.

Will ask my seat padder guy close to my house, i am sure he can do one cheaper that 3000 thb but not sure is he can handle the locking mechanism like these guys.

post-184955-0-09966600-1409908101_thumb.

post-184955-0-87570600-1409908101_thumb.

post-184955-0-67096400-1409908102_thumb.

post-184955-0-49475300-1409908103_thumb.

Edited by ll2

custom two piece seat for bc and cbr650f. not bad! it really change the looks of the bike in a nice sportier way. do not like banana seats much although they are more comfy.

3000 thb but pillion seat looks a bit high and rider seat a bit low for my taste - possibly they do it for someone with low inseam. And once you unlock, only pillion seat opens which is also nice.

Will ask my seat padder guy close to my house, i am sure he can do one cheaper that 3000 thb but not sure is he can handle the locking mechanism like these guys.

Website says it's 6800B, not 3000. http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e4/showproduct.php?pid=26857062&shopid=216691&showm=&groupproduct=1384116

Website says it's 6800B, not 3000. http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e4/showproduct.php?pid=26857062&shopid=216691&showm=&groupproduct=1384116

i used google translation at another source so it looks like it changed wrong.

6800 thb for a seat is ridiculous!

i will ask the same setup to the seat shop close to me. maybe they can make it.

Edited by ll2

There giving you a completely new seat and not using your old one correct? If thats the case sounds like a bargain!

my plan is about using the old seat. maybe they can chop and modify it. will ask the price of the stock seat from bigwing before going through this adventure thoughlaugh.png

I have read someone in the US is preparing to sue honda for much higher BHP claim than they delivered. Most people never got more than 70 out of 86 that honda provided. Then again its US, everyone sues someone everyday

Maybe Honda measured at the crankshaft, while others measure at rear wheel.

Transmission and final drive could account for this difference. Altho' 16 HP seems high

I have read someone in the US is preparing to sue honda for much higher BHP claim than they delivered. Most people never got more than 70 out of 86 that honda provided. Then again its US, everyone sues someone everyday

Maybe Honda measured at the crankshaft, while others measure at rear wheel.

Transmission and final drive could account for this difference. Altho' 16 HP seems high

19% driveline loss is very high...but not as bad as the ~24% you'd assume believing some manufacturer's numbers.