Pensions after death.

lahgon29

My wife and I are in a bit of a conflict about pensions after death.Her friend, [non Oz resident] has told her that she will get the aged pension of her Aussie husband after he dies [one day]. She is 37 now. He is 66. I tell her this is not on, and that even Australian women can't get a pension [aged], same as men until they are 65, no matter what the circumstances.

To back up her argument [she's not a quitter], she tells me that friends of that friend have Finnish and German husbands [they are married, Fin resident, but in Udon, German not] who both will get pension on death of husbands, until their own deaths, even though they are both under 40. I can argue with some certainty about the Australian situation, but not about the European ones...Is she is right? are aged pension granted to non resident widows of Europeans? If so I can see why the EEC is in the predicament it is..If not, I'd like to nip this "freebie" attitude in the bud with my wife's friend circle.

\Thanks for any intelligent help :-)

^^^^^^,

I can only talk for the UK, have been through this recently with another misinformed mia farang.

The wife is entitled to a death grant one off payment of 2 thousand quid, then a pension for one year.

When she reaches age 65 she then applies again.

The woman I was involved with was most pissed off, cursing and swearing, she was given a one off payment of 3 thousand quid, death payment and pension, pension based on husbands contributions and years outside the UK.

She was most pissed off to find out the husbands pension was frozen, eg, he was still being paid the same pension at age 80 as he was at age 65.

Got to love the mia farang who know everything, tell your wife, not to get involved.

• Like 1

If the Australian man is being in danger of being bumped early so that she thinks 'she' gets the pension, then offer this advice.

For the Overseas Wife of an Australian who receives the Aged Pension, that wife is entitled, in full, to all the benefits receivable as if the Wife was the Claimant. These rights are transferred to the Spouse/Partner only if the current claimant attains the age of 80.

Should the current claimant become deceased before the age of 80, then those rights are not transferable and the overseas partner will have no recourse nor claim against the Australian Government.

I used to write bullshit politicians speeches for a living for a brief period.

If you want the serious answer ... it's here ... Wife's Pension.

Oh ... the answer is NO ... rule changed in 1995.

Maybe the best advice has already been given ... don't get involved.

The situation with UK State Pension is that the Thai Wife will get nothing when the husband dies.

Only a one of bereavement payment plus benefit for one year.

The way things are going that will probably be stopped soon

What about a thai wife who has lived in the UK and has a N.I number ,but now resides in Thailand with her husband?

The situation with UK State Pension is that the Thai Wife will get nothing when the husband dies.

Only a one of bereavement payment plus benefit for one year.

The way things are going that will probably be stopped soon

What about a thai wife who has lived in the UK and has a N.I number ,but now resides in Thailand with her husband?

After 2016 it depends on her National Insurance contributions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10042024/Foreigners-state-pensions-your-questions-answered.html

if the husband has a uk.occupational pensionmy wf.gets 60% if i die.

uk.she will get a state pension as she has paid up 20yrs.of n.i.stamps.

if she had not worked she gets f-all,only the bereavement one off lump sum.

as my wf.has both one she gets when 60 and state pension at 67.

so she has 12 and 19yrs to wait.

all you girls that will get f-all you had better save a little every week incase your atm finally stops working.

and if you think you might have enough go out and buy the life story of viv nicholson.

spend spend spend.

OP, I advise caution.

If your Mrs comes to believe she's not going to get your pension when you croak, she might decide her long term best interests are to be found elsewhere.

Of course you may have your own reasons why you might not want your wife to have the financial security of your pension after your death. But it might not be a good idea to let on.

Is a Thai spouse entitled to an Aussie aged pension at 65 without becoming an Australian citizen?

Do you mean making a claim for Aged Pension in her own right? If so yes, so long as she is permanent resident of Australia and meets residency together with "Working Life" criteria at time of application. Currently she would need to be physically in Australia to make an application.

I understand that being outside of Australia for more than three years at the time of application would normally result in the claim being denied based upon Australian residency criteria.

Edited by simple1

In Canada I have three pensions. A company pension and Canada pension. I paid into both and when I die my wife will get 60% until she dies. When I turn 65 I will get old age pension, which I have not paid into, it is financed from general government revenues. When I die my wife will get no payment from it.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OP, I advise caution.

If your Mrs comes to believe she's not going to get your pension when you croak, she might decide her long term best interests are to be found elsewhere.

Of course you may have your own reasons why you might not want your wife to have the financial security of your pension after your death. But it might not be a good idea to let on.

Thanks for the advice, Guesthouse, but I won't be getting a pension from Australia when I'm 67, All to do with assets, and the wife knows it. She's taken care of already when I go. This thing cropped up when a friend of hers told her that a friend of hers was already getting a pension from Germany after the death of a husband. Apparently 60% of his original one.She is 35. To be honest, I don't know anything about Germany pensions or Finlands [which entered into conversation]. I just can't figure how this "lurk" occurs. If you're not 65, how do you get your husbands pension? I know now that Aus and UK don't do it.

After I die, my wife will get 60% of my pension for as long as she lives. It is a local government pension (US based).

Does your wife have to be a US resident for that? Or do you mean "willing" the pension to her? Makes sense if she's AmericanI suppose it makes a difference if your pension was accumulation, or Defined benefits without a ceiling.

After I die, my wife will get 60% of my pension for as long as she lives. It is a local government pension (US based).

Does your wife have to be a US resident for that? Or do you mean "willing" the pension to her? Makes sense if she's AmericanI suppose it makes a difference if your pension was accumulation, or Defined benefits without a ceiling.

Although my wife now has a US passport, it is not a requirement for her survivors' benefit. It is simply the way that this particular pension plan is set-up. It is a defined benefit plan. Since it is a local pension, citizenship doesn't enter into the equation. She has to be married to me at the time of my death (no common law marriages allowed). The only issue is that the health insurance doesn't cover you if you leave the island for more than 90 days at a time.

Edited by Pacificperson

OP, I advise caution.

Thanks for the advice, Guesthouse, but I won't be getting a pension from Australia when I'm 67, All to do with assets, and the wife knows it. She's taken care of already when I go. This thing cropped up when a friend of hers told her that a friend of hers was already getting a pension from Germany after the death of a husband. Apparently 60% of his original one.She is 35. To be honest, I don't know anything about Germany pensions or Finlands [which entered into conversation]. I just can't figure how this "lurk" occurs. If you're not 65, how do you get your husbands pension? I know now that Aus and UK don't do it.

Private and occupational pensions usually pay out to a spouse of any age, after the death of the husband of pensionable age. If you buy an annuity for yourself, you can take the option of a 50% spouse pension on your death for very little extra cost. Canada Life do 10 year guaranteed annuity with 50% spouse annuity for about a 5% loss of the single person income. Age of wife irrelevant.