Easiest and cheapest way to buy a scooter in Bangkok/Pattaya

MrHammer

I am in the market for a scooter to get around on for everyday things in Bangkok. Looking for a price of 15-20K. Not sure which models are preferred, maybe Nuevo, Click, Airblade?

Anyway, there are not many for sale on Craigslist or Bahtsold, while there are many, many on Dealfish and at lower prices than the farang owned. Now I don't speak or read Thai very well, so the idea of buying from some random citizen Thai doesn't seem all that appealing, while buying from a Thai shop wouldn't be that bad.

I've also thought about going to Pattaya and asking some of the rental shops if they have any for sale. There are so many scooters in Pattaya, that it seems more likely to find a good deal there than in Bangkok.

So for my situation (15-20K, not much thai), what where would you recommend to hunt?

Well there are a few shops with used scooters in the 20,000 range and less near me in Phrakhanong, in Bangkok. Mostly credit company repossessions. So there must be places in Pattaya.

Get out from in front of Craig's list, Bahtsold etc.. and travel around a bit and you will find them. If in doubt use motorbike taxis they usually know where stuff is. There might even be somewhere on the baht bus routes especially to Jomtien or Naklua.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Well there are a few shops with used scooters in the 20,000 range and less near me in Phrakhanong, in Bangkok. Mostly credit company repossessions. So there must be places in Pattaya.

Get out from in front of Craig's list, Bahtsold etc.. and travel around a bit and you will find them. If in doubt use motorbike taxis they usually know where stuff is. There might even be somewhere on the baht bus routes especially to Jomtien or Naklua.

Can you remember seeing one in Bangkok?

More scooters in Pattaya than Bangkok?? Not true, I am pretty sure there is over 2 mill in Bangkok, not so in Pattaya.

The problem is to find the shops that are selling used scooters, probably in the outskirts in Bangkok, but are not sure where they are, try asking some motorbike taxi drivers as VocalNeal mentioned, these guys know things like that.

In Pattaya we have several shops only selling 2'nd hand Thai bikes, seen a few on Sukhumvit Road.

Some new bike shops also keep typical 5-10 used bikes for sale, most looks not good and are very expensive.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Can you remember seeing one in Bangkok?

There is one about 50m down Rama 4 from Sukhumvit or about 150m from Phrakanong BTS prices are stuck on the bikes. Another cheaper but... is alongside the over pass on the other side of the klong from Rama 4 walking towards Tesco On Nut.

There are also a couple of dealers on Rama 4 a bit further down walking towards soi 42 but don't know if they have used.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Lots of second hand motorbike shops around charan sanitwong after soi 37 to soi 13 too.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And this is where?

check the title of your thread.

Edited by ll2

Try going to large bike dealers and asking to go to the 'back room' or 'back lot' to look at the trade-ins. A lot of large dealers simply don't bother to put second hand bikes out front for sale (particularly the cheaper, older second hand bikes), and let them go very cheap out the back to wholesale dealers. Typical most Thais will only buy brand new, and will eschew any vehicles that have even slight cosmetic problems.

This is how I've bought most bikes I have. A perfectly serviceable old Honda Wave, Yamaha Spark, or Suzuki Smash should be no more than 10,000 baht. Personally I strongly prefer the old two-strokes, but these are getting harder to find. You could find an automatic for 15-20k baht, but they're not very durable and cost a lot to fix, so they're not really recommended for cheap second hand.

Edited by ClareQuilty

Try going to large bike dealers and asking to go to the 'back room' or 'back lot' to look at the trade-ins. A lot of large dealers simply don't bother to put second hand bikes out front for sale (particularly the cheaper, older second hand bikes), and let them go very cheap out the back to wholesale dealers. Typical most Thais will only buy brand new, and will eschew any vehicles that have even slight cosmetic problems.

This is how I've bought most bikes I have. A perfectly serviceable old Honda Wave, Yamaha Spark, or Suzuki Smash should be no more than 10,000 baht. Personally I strongly prefer the old two-strokes, but these are getting harder to find. You could find an automatic for 15-20k baht, but they're not very durable and cost a lot to fix, so they're not really recommended for cheap second hand.

Great advice. Is your experience from Bangkok or Pattay?

Try going to large bike dealers and asking to go to the 'back room' or 'back lot' to look at the trade-ins.

Great advice. Is your experience from Bangkok or Pattay?

Thanks! But no I haven't any experience in those places, only in Isaan, but I suspect if anything you'll find even better deals down there on the old stuff.

• 6 months later...

Honesty tho... How could I get a 2nd hand bike from pattaya or Bangkok to Chachoengseo?

Providing I cannot find one there in the first place

Chachoengseo is near both Pattaya & BKK.

Ride it home, or hire some Thai to do it.

The PO should be ~1000baht.

EZ as Sunday morning.

Chachoengseo should have what you want though.

Easier/cheaper changing registration with local plates.

Shop around.

Thank you

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun with my questions. I have an image of chachoengsao being a very quiet place with hardly anything around, which in reality I'm sure, is very false

I know it's nowhere near as touristy as pattaya or bangkok, but I should still be able to find a few hire shops OR, even better, decent cheap enough 2nd hand ones - wouldn't you think?

thanks

Honesty tho... How could I get a 2nd hand bike from pattaya or Bangkok to Chachoengseo?
Providing I cannot find one there in the first place

Chachoengseo is near both Pattaya & BKK.

Ride it home, or hire some Thai to do it.

The PO should be ~1000baht.

EZ as Sunday morning.

Chachoengseo should have what you want though.

Easier/cheaper changing registration with local plates.

Shop around.