Beer and Alcohol prices up up up

Also i come across a bar resturant offering BIG bottles tiger beer in hanoi 10,000 dong = around 50c of a dollor and in saigon drink saigon green beer half big bottle 10,000 dong, cambodia most drinks are less than 50c, wake up lads and drink up in thailand, dont understand why most people trying compares beer prices V europe and uk which is thousands miles away from thailand. w00t.gifwai2.gif

I refuse to go to a place where it is required you purchase your beer with dung.

Poster stated corretly the curreny of Vietnam is the Dong, so as he posted 10,000 Dong, not sure what Dung has to do with the postclap2.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's this rumour about Singha and Chang refusing to produce until the problem is solved? I put it away as an urban myth, but went to Tesco today and there was indeed a sign that the maximum sales is three cases (of big bottles). Cans of Singh and Chang were sold old.

Went to two 7-elevens and one of these small Tesco neighbourhood stores, and cans of Singha and Chang were sold out there, too.

I tend to believe that the rumour is true. Anybody knows anything for real?

What's this rumour about Singha and Chang refusing to produce until the problem is solved? I put it away as an urban myth, but went to Tesco today and there was indeed a sign that the maximum sales is three cases (of big bottles). Cans of Singh and Chang were sold old.

Went to two 7-elevens and one of these small Tesco neighbourhood stores, and cans of Singha and Chang were sold out there, too.

I tend to believe that the rumour is true. Anybody knows anything for real?

I think they just stopped shipping rather than producing.

Makes sense. But have they really made this marketing decision? It would be highly political. What is the speculation about the outcome?

I don't understand what you mean by outcome.

My theory is that the current increase in alcohol tax is still not final. I mean, you can't let a country run out of beer, can you?

Makes sense. But have they really made this marketing decision? It would be highly political. What is the speculation about the outcome?

I don't understand what you mean by outcome.

My theory is that the current increase in alcohol tax is still not final. I mean, you can't let a country run out of beer, can you?

Isn't it being put to a vote of some sort? The big corps. it seems to me are just waiting until the vote and letting the market absorb remaining stock until that time. It could be said that it is to reduce profiteering in the event that the rise is not ratified (as it were) but I would certainly not like to be on the side of attempting to make that argument. If the duty increase does go up which it will, it will allow the big corps. to add a couple of Satang per bottle for themselves when they release stock into a somewhat parched market. It's a good business tactic and even more so given that in LoS and SE Asia, the absolute value of money is much higher than its intrinsic value.

This I took back in 2005 on my first visit to Thailand... it was on KP (prices usually a bit higher there) .... so have prices really risen that much ?.....

You can still buy Chaing for 60 baht at some bars/ restaurants here on Samui... (even most cocktails at those prices!)

DSC03408.JPG

• Like 2

All I know is that at the moment, the only beer that seems to be availalable is Leo. 710 baht for 24 tins. This used to cost approx 560 baht I think - I cannot remember as beer is a must have item - so I just buy it anyway drunk.gif .

Oh you are just a party animal Tropo!...expense no object !!! biggrin.png

The small Ma and Pa Shop near soi 4 (second one before the lights) in Maenam just before the lights had a truck load of Slinga delivered the other day.... I did not ask how much, but they are usually within price range of the big stores... wink.png

• Like 1

1. Premier Sports Bar this and every Friday for the forseeable future.

Cocktails = BUY ONE GET ONE FREE before 10pm

Magners Cider per 500 ml (pint) only 130 Baht per pint... all night

Fosters Lager 99 baht per 500 ml (pint)..... all night

Don't forget our Sunday Roast dinners are available each n every Sunday from 2pm

• 3 weeks later...

Prices on Maenam walking street still same same, as of last night's 3rd year Anniversary of the weekly event....

A bottle of lionking that they use for the drinks have risen from 120 baht to 125 baht.

This means they will loose 14,5 satang on each drink. crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkU.png

• Like 1

This I took back in 2005 on my first visit to Thailand... it was on KP (prices usually a bit higher there) .... so have prices really risen that much ?.....

You can still buy Chaing for 60 baht at some bars/ restaurants here on Samui... (even most cocktails at those prices!)

DSC03408.JPG

50 baht was the price for a big bottle at that time;same for the other beers on your picture.

I don't know as I was in Koh Samui a week ago. I am talking about 7/11's and Family Marts. All beers were the same price as Pattaya (where I live and I am back there).

Before it was 46 baht for a single big bottle of LEO. Now the new single price is 54 to 55 baht a big bottle. It is an 18% increase. I buy the 3 pack of big LEO's, before it was 140 baht and now it is 161, that is an increase of 15%. What actually astounded me was that the 7/11 prices were all the same as Pattaya (no extra for the transportation). Still, under $2 USD for a big bottle, cheap.

Koh Phangan 119 for a 2 pack of big Leo in 7/11 used to be 102 .............................sad.png