Carport - do it yourself - and CHEAP

David48

Frame Finished - Roof Tiles next

post-104736-0-16812900-1380872107_thumb. post-104736-0-25687500-1380872109_thumb.

Last of the frame being erected and welded.

post-104736-0-68869800-1380872113_thumb. post-104736-0-99352900-1380872111_thumb.

Welds are OK ... don't know if he'll grind them back ... doubt it.

post-104736-0-66346900-1380872118_thumb. post-104736-0-59822200-1380872120_thumb.

Standard Thai Roof Tile ... gf jokes that are imported from Australia (Kangaroo Emblem)

post-104736-0-28142500-1380872105_thumb. post-104736-0-91840800-1380872116_thumb.

On they go.

Well, it's almost finished ...

post-104736-0-76400300-1381467207_thumb. . post-104736-0-91582900-1381467214_thumb.

post-104736-0-39504400-1381467222_thumb.

It is a Fish Farm after all !

post-104736-0-47852800-1381467229_thumb. . post-104736-0-19407800-1381467235_thumb.

Welds were treated and painted

So, as for the actual size ... I don't know if it's me, her or the cultural divide ... but no matter which way I ask it, I don't get a reply that answers my question.

So, as for the size (who the F knows!)

She tells me it's 6m x 7.5 m

Posts are 3 m apart ... on one side they are, but on the narrow side they obviously aren't ... facepalm.gif

I can count the roof tiles and I see 6 tiles, so that is the width so, assuming a little overlap ... how wide is it at a rough guess?

The Farm Father paid about 22,500 Baht for the majority of the bits and pieces.

I paid for the incidentals, wages and food and my bill was (exactly) 8,303 Baht ... but I know there will be a bit more of a contribution from me as I'm not having that power feed (in the 5th photo) from one house to the next brushing the steel framework.

Plus there is no lighting ... yet.

Will discuss guttering also.

Still, happy enough.

Didn't get ripped.

One more project now is enclosing a section of the downstairs living area so that my gf and our soon to be born TWINS have somewhere to sleep.

If you have any suggestion that might help with the bedroom build, this is the link ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663402-enclosing-a-downstairs-bedroom-need-advice-please/

My warm thanks to those who contributed to this Carport Thread ... wai.gif

• Like 1

Any idea what the projected budget is?

The FIL wanting to use stainless is either a concern, or a very bad misunderstanding wink.png

The estimate is 30 - 35K Baht with a floor material I can only describe as decomposing granite.

Builder is on 500 Baht a day

Relatives, who are the labourers are 400 Baht

Food and drink provided for both.

Yes, the Stainless Steel was apparently a joke ... apparently ... ermm.gif

The gf's Father is reknown for his sense of 'humour'.

You sure are being generous with those labourer rates, especially with the added perks - maybe they were just joking again when they asked to double the going rate? tongue.png

Assuming it's 6M x7M (or bigger?) and is using steel for trusses instead of recycled wood, the price sounds about right. Might not look right after you add in the lao kao bill though :D

Hmm, I think the workers are working for a fair rate considering it's Bangkok. I pay a builder 500 a day out in the sticks. That's a good price David imo.

Looks decent. The price could have been cut down with precast pipes by a lot. I would can the gutters, they are Thai not Farang. But it is your baby. Hopefully they don't have a quai or Qua about to get sick. I helped my gals folks & they supplied all the labor for free. But they were never much for dialing for dollars. Gotta love that!

• 3 months later...

Hello, can I know if it is cheaper to build a steel carport ?

Thank you.

'Steel' ... as in steel posts?

and/or steel beams,

and/or steel roof?

We used concrete footings and posts, steel beams and batons and the standard fibre cement tile roof

Hello, can I know if it is cheaper to build a steel carport ?

Thank you.

'Steel' ... as in steel posts?

and/or steel beams,

and/or steel roof?

We used concrete footings and posts, steel beams and batons and the standard fibre cement tile roof

You really should have put in a nice concrete floor though David. Pushing a double pram through mud will not be fun,.

• Like 1

Baby best buy has a show on in Bangkok 6-9th feb worth checking out, I wished I could have took more stuff from the UK/Germany I couldn't take a decent pushchair due to dimension restrictions with klm 158cm. If you intend on using car seats buy them in your home country as the ones here are either shit or excessively over priced. I find the quality and price here quite poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Baby best buy has a show on in Bangkok 6-9th feb worth checking out, I wished I could have took more stuff from the UK/Germany I couldn't take a decent pushchair due to dimension restrictions with klm 158cm. If you intend on using car seats buy them in your home country as the ones here are either shit or excessively over priced. I find the quality and price here quite poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I did not think they had them for motorbikes:)

Use all the safety you can but remember we grew up without it all. Protect if you can do not stress too much if you cannot.,

• Like 1

We got an excellent seat for about 5,600 baht at Central Bang Na 5 years ago.

Still going strong.