Remembering the Macaronis

Jingthing

OK, I wasn't even aware of the Macaronis. But now I am. Wonderful stuff.

The primary correspondent of the Public Ledger, calling himself A MAN, in several letters to the Public Ledger castigated Captain Jones’s supporters as ‘maccaronies’: ‘the country is over-run with Catamites, with monsters of Captain Jones’s taste, or, to speak in a language which all may understand, with MACCARONIES’.

It's interesting that the Yankee Doodle Dandy Song which talks about putting a feather in his cap and calling it Macaroni was originally intended to MOCK unsophisticated Americans as thinking a feather was enough to make a Macaroni, but the song got twisted and was embraced as a patriotic song by Americans instead.

Now here was a REAL Macaroni:

post-37101-0-30395000-1382025827_thumb.j

Apparently Dandies evolved from Macaronis and were considered less effeminate (and less linked to sodomites) than Macaronis.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

There are not many things I refuse to eat but macaroni cheese is one of them rolleyes.gif

It's quite a versatile pasta actually.

I just had some, served with a pesto of olive oil, parm cheese, Thai red chilies, spicy mustard, and raw garlic w/ shiitake mushrooms, broccoli, avocado, and sliced chicken breast!

The Thais seems to love it. You'll find it done Thai style all over w/ no cheese.

At the time of the sodomite macaronis macaroni was considered as very exotic food of the traveled sophisticated elite.

Now of course it's common and cheap.

Hmmm.

Edited by Jingthing