overcharged by taxi at ground floor

snake24

so i listened to the advice given by the peeps here to take the taxis at the ground floor. They are green in color rather than pink. went to the first booth. cab driver told me blatantly 450 thb. The girl at the booth told me it's just an estimation but looking at the driver's face i knew he wanted to charge me 450 straight.

Went to another booth told him destination was ratchada. Quoted me 250, driver agreed on that yet inside the cab when he was driving he told me 450. No meter. Then after passing the toll booth on the highway he stopped the cab and helped another driver change his tires.

Reached my hotel. I thought whatever and decided to pay him 450. Gave him 500 thb he gave me 100 told me he didn't have 50 change and wanted me to change 100 into 2 50s. Bell boy didn't have change either so decided to do it at front desk. Went in and checked into room instead. He didn't come into the lobby and the bell boy didn't bother so i paid him 400 instead of 450 but i knew that's too expensive and i followed you guys suggestions take the taxi at the ground floor. A thai long term resident from my country told me to take the taxis at departure on 3rd floor instead. yes they do overcharge but you can change.

Anyway that cab driver was quite a scum for changing the price inside the cab although he was friendly.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know where Ratchada is, if it's not in BKK, they may give you a quote instead. Always tell the driver to turn on the meter right when you get in, if he refuses, tell him to stop the car and get out, take another one.

3rd (departure) floor or the ground floor - doesn't matter you can get overcharged anywhere if you're naive, the only difference is that on the 3rd floor you don't need to stay in the line up and you don't pay airport fee (they still may ask you to pay it though).

Hint: If you go to the 3rd floor, don't take a cab that stays there waiting for someone to come out (there will be few even though they're not allowed to wait there), talk to a driver that just dropped someone off. Those drivers also are more likely to refuse turning on the meter.

• Like 1

I don't use the Bangkok taxi rank on the ground floor much but I haven't had a driver yet who quotes a fare. All the drivers I have had just turn on the meter and get on with it. Sometimes they will suggest getting off highway 7 at the Rama IX exit just before the elevated at peak times when the toll gates will be backed up. I usually agree with that unless it is raining and you are pretty much xxxxxx either way. Usually I get to the arse-end of Sukhumvit in about 400 baht including tip, airport surcharge and tolls (if applicable).

Edited by metisdead

I don't use the Bangkok taxi rank on the ground floor much but I haven't had a driver yet who quotes a fare. All the drivers I have had just turn on the meter and get on with it. Sometimes they will suggest getting off highway 7 at the Rama IX exit just before the elevated at peak times when the toll gates will be backed up. I usually agree with that unless it is raining and you are pretty much xxxxxx either way. Usually I get to the arse-end of Sukhumvit in about 400 baht including tip, airport surcharge and tolls (if applicable).

Same here. Maybe OP is asking "how much to get here or there", instead of just telling them where he needs to go? They would gladly give a quote and not turn the meter ON, given the opportunity.

In dozens of trips to the Asoke area, I have never had a Swampy legal taxi that didn't turn on the meter. I have had 2 times the meter read about 10km more than the other dozens of trips- both in the same week strangely.

But after watching a video of a guy getting hacked to death by a BKK taxi driver for 50 baht, I'm glad (in retrospect) I didn't push the issue for the $3-5 they probably cheated me.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I use these taxis ona frequent basis and the trick they try is to get the paper they give the girl and she tears it in 2 and keeps one and give you the other one they then try to get you to give them that which of course then you have no recourse.

Upon entering the cab they say 450 baht, I always say Meter, they say no Meter, I say Ok i get out and go back to the girl,

SUDDENLY meter is turned on and off we go.

Very simple.

• Like 2

Rule #1: only ride taxis who use the meter.

Rule #2: note drivers license number, take picture with mobile.

Rule #3: if getting a taxi by hotel bell boy tell bell boy you destination and want to use meter.

Rule #4: make sure you have 100 and 20 baht notes in your wallet.

Good luck in reaching your destination intact if you try and take a picture of the driver or his ID following a dispute.

• Like 1

Hi yes I have the taxi quote paper how do I complain?

Believe there are many ways to lodge a complaint:
Call 1584
Use Android or iPhone app.
Use on-line form.
There may be more details on the slip of paper you received at the official taxi queue on level 1. I’ve taken a taxi from there hundreds of times and never had an issue re: using the meter.

Hi yes I have the taxi quote paper how do I complain?

Believe there are many ways to lodge a complaint:

Call 1584

Use Android or iPhone app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tsadvanced.bkktaxireport&hl=en

Use on-line form.

http://apps.dlt.go.th/1584complain/frmComplainCar-User.php?CarType=1

There may be more details on the slip of paper you received at the official taxi queue on level 1. Ive taken a taxi from there hundreds of times and never had an issue re: using the meter.

I found out that if you aren't from Thailand tout won't be able to download the app. even though I am in Thailand now using a Thai internet connection but my Google Id shows I'm not from Thailand and all the words are in Thai under the comments for this app I read that you must be Thai to submit a report cos they only acceptThai ids. I took a picture of the drivers picture and number. I hope this driver gets punished can someone here report on my behalf I don't mind doing it myself if they accept foreigners reporting it.

Any experienced taxi or tuk-tuk driver who is so inclined can see a mark coming a mile off and will play him accordingly. For your part you need to learn the ropes. It takes time and some mistakes and even then you can get caught out occasionally.

As for taxis into town from Swampy, I invariably take the departure level taxis that have just delivered their passengers and are glad of a return fare. You have to make absolutely clear that you will pay the meter fare only and be prepared to walk to another cab if not satisfied with the deal. It should cost around 250 Baht to central Bangkok.

Don't know where Ratchada is, if it's not in BKK, they may give you a quote instead. Always tell the driver to turn on the meter right when you get in, if he refuses, tell him to stop the car and get out, take another one.

3rd (departure) floor or the ground floor - doesn't matter you can get overcharged anywhere if you're naive, the only difference is that on the 3rd floor you don't need to stay in the line up and you don't pay airport fee (they still may ask you to pay it though).

Hint: If you go to the 3rd floor, don't take a cab that stays there waiting for someone to come out (there will be few even though they're not allowed to wait there), talk to a driver that just dropped someone off. Those drivers also are more likely to refuse turning on the meter.

Don't know where Ratchada is? ummm....

My experience with using the 3rd floor (departures area) taxis is different: the taxis are allowed to wait there, at least for a period of time. In fairness to the drivers who have been waiting, I always take a taxi that is already there, rather than a taxi that is just pulling up.

Having used 3rd floor taxis for at least monthly trips since Suvarnabhumi opened, I have never even once had a problem with one not using his meter or using a rigged meter.

Edited by bubba

My experience with using the 3rd floor (departures area) taxis is different: the taxis are allowed to wait there, at least for a period of time. In fairness to the drivers who have been waiting, I always take a taxi that is already there, rather than a taxi that is just pulling up.

Having used 3rd floor taxis for at least monthly trips since Suvarnabhumi opened, I have never even once had a problem with one not using his meter or using a rigged meter.

Sorry I didn't know it's required of me to know all the BKK areas in order to live here? Been here for 5+ years and if I don't travel to any particular area I'm not interested in what it's called, it's already enough trying to remember all the Thai names I need to remember.

Anyways, in my post that you quoted I mentioned that they normally give the quote for the outside of BKk trips.

Since the AOT got rid of all the illegal taxis, I've never been given a quote to go into the city. A few times had to tell the drivers to turn on the meter (they never ask me for a quote but I supposed they were going to give me one on arrival) and I had one driver not reset the meter from his previous ride but covered the display with a handkerchief.

Regarding the departure level, the taxis are supposed to go around and down to the arrival level to pick up the new passengers, if they don't want to go back to BKK empty. Departure level is no waiting area for the new passengers. All those that been waiting there, always tried to pull a fast one on me and give me a quote (I usually tell them the hotel name or street name and say meter), they loose my business right then, I never argued. I usually go and talk to other driver instead, the one just dropped off the passengers and they always happy to keep on rolling without any hassles. At the end I stopped asking those that wait there.

My experience with using the 3rd floor (departures area) taxis is different: the taxis are allowed to wait there, at least for a period of time. 

Umm... No, they're not allowed to wait there.. You see those guys in uniform in trucks with the flashing lights and that horn?

They's generally the airport cops and they's have a tendency to tell these taxis to move on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't know it's required of me to know all the BKK areas in order to live here? Been here for 5+ years and if I don't travel to any particular area I'm not interested in what it's called, it's already enough trying to remember all the Thai names I need to remember.

Anyways, in my post that you quoted I mentioned that they normally give the quote for the outside of BKk trips.

Since the AOT got rid of all the illegal taxis, I've never been given a quote to go into the city. A few times had to tell the drivers to turn on the meter (they never ask me for a quote but I supposed they were going to give me one on arrival) and I had one driver not reset the meter from his previous ride but covered the display with a handkerchief.

Regarding the departure level, the taxis are supposed to go around and down to the arrival level to pick up the new passengers, if they don't want to go back to BKK empty. Departure level is no waiting area for the new passengers. All those that been waiting there, always tried to pull a fast one on me and give me a quote (I usually tell them the hotel name or street name and say meter), they loose my business right then, I never argued. I usually go and talk to other driver instead, the one just dropped off the passengers and they always happy to keep on rolling without any hassles. At the end I stopped asking those that wait there.

Jasus, you claim to have been here for 5 years and don't know Ratchada.. what a blinkered life you lead !! Get out and have a look around. Until then, don't presume you are qualified to give advice on an area you seem to know nothing about.

totster :)

Rule #1: only ride taxis who use the meter.

Rule #2: note drivers license number, take picture with mobile.

Rule #3: if getting a taxi by hotel bell boy tell bell boy you destination and want to use meter.

Rule #4: make sure you have 100 and 20 baht notes in your wallet.

Rules 1 and 4 are usually enough.

I've only had to get out of one cab who wouldn't put the meter on. I suppose he thought that because I had bags with me that I wouldn't get out.

He was mistaken.

There's really no need to get into a negotiation, which can possibly lead to 'he lied to me' or 'he charged me more than he should'

They have meters in taxis. The meters show how much you have to pay. See rule 1 above, then you won't have to cry on a forum that you're ฿150 down.

Great start to your trip :lol:

I always use the official taxi rank. I always make sure I keep my half of the ticket and if they try to quote a price I go back and complain at the desk. If the same driver decides he's going to turn on the meter then I refuse to go with him because hes already proved he can't be trusted. If the driver just takes me to my destination with no bs then I always tip him between 50 and 100฿ hoping that I might encourage more drivers to be honest.

Sent from my jungle hideout

Jasus, you claim to have been here for 5 years and don't know Ratchada.. what a blinkered life you lead !! Get out and have a look around. Until then, don't presume you are qualified to give advice on an area you seem to know nothing about.

totster smile.png

Here is another bright mind! :) Do you know Thep Sathit or Chai Badan, or Chaiyaphoom or Nakhon Ratchasima? You might have heard of the last 2 (Nakhon Ratchasima is also known as Korat) but there are Thais who have no ideas of the last 2 places. I don't like BKK, I don't live in BKK, I only travel through and occasionally stay there overnight. I'm not a tour guide and not giving anyone advice on the Thailand travel tips, but I do make 5-6 round trips out of Thai each year so I'm passing though Swampy on average once a month.

Now, how is it I'm not qualified to give an advice on airport taxis?

totster smile.png

Here is another bright mind! smile.png Do you know Thep Sathit or Chai Badan, or Chaiyaphoom or Nakhon Ratchasima? You might have heard of the last 2 (Nakhon Ratchasima is also known as Korat) but there are Thais who have no ideas of the last 2 places. I don't like BKK, I don't live in BKK, I only travel through and occasionally stay there overnight. I'm not a tour guide and not giving anyone advice on the Thailand travel tips, but I do make 5-6 round trips out of Thai each year so I'm passing though Swampy on average once a month.

Now, how is it I'm not qualified to give an advice on airport taxis?

Maybe stick to giving advice on the areas you know (I'm assuming you know these areas) - Thep Sathit or Chai Badan, or Chaiyaphoom or Nakhon Ratchasima

totster smile.png

Maybe stick to giving advice on the areas you know (I'm assuming you know these areas) - Thep Sathit or Chai Badan, or Chaiyaphoom or Nakhon Ratchasima

totster smile.png

With the quality of your replies, you should stick to the Farang Pub Forum. :)

totster smile.png

With the quality of your replies, you should stick to the Farang Pub Forum. smile.png

Umm... ok, nothing else to say on the matter then ? I will take this as my advice heeded.

totster :)

As I pointed out already, this topic is about Airport taxis, not Thailand travel knowledge check. Why is it matter where I live and which areas of Thailand I know or don't know? I go through on average once a month and that would beat the gained airport experience of many expats who's been living in Thailand longer than me. My BKK knowledge is irrelevant to the OP so please take your smart remarks elsewhere. :)

You don't need to be an expert on the roads of Bangkok to know the most reliable methods for getting a taxi from the airport.

There are area's of Bangkok I don't know... but I still know how to get a Metered Taxi from the airport.

I don't see any reason to start a dick fight over such a minor point...

On Topic:

Op: In short - If the Taxi driver doesn't turn on the meter. Stop him and get out. Obviously thats more difficult if you have bags in the boot etc..

But you can always verbally confirm the meter.

As another poster said - You are down about THB 150... not a big deal for a minor lesson.

- Know your destination.

- Try and know how to say it clearly in Thai.

- Have correct change.

- Don't use the taxis hanging around hotels or tourist areas (always try and flag down a moving taxi).

- Don't get into arguments with the taxi drivers.

• Like 2