Thai tourist visa UK new rules only 3months allowed

My sister and law got a 6months tourist visa to the uk on 21st October and her flight to LHR was on the 27th October because of the storm the flight was diverted to Manchester where the plane remained on the tarmack for six hours passengers were not allowed to disembark.When she and her fellow passengers arrived at LHR I presume Thai and and other non UK nationals were all interviewed and bags searched this took four hours.But this is the point I do not understand although her tourist visa was granted in Thailand for 6months the Uk immigration told her that all tourist visa were now for a period of only 3 months and that she would have to change her return flight times to this.They even called her boyfriend to the immigration to explain this to him.<deleted> is happening how can they grant 6months in thai and then change when you get to the UK

Seems you may have only half the story.

I do not think they pull all non nationals for a 4 hour grilling.

Not aware of any changes, has she been in the UK for 3 months already in the last year?

All visa normally are valid for 6 months, but the IO do have the discretion to shorten the time allowed in the UK, but this does not happen very often and they would have too have a good reason to do so, and they should have explained why.

Edited by Basil B

Without knowing exactly what happened at UK immigration, I find what you are saying difficult to accept. As far as I know, there have been no changes to the rules concerning length of visits to the UK.

Perhaps she was interviewed in depth on arrival, or the immigration officer checked her visa application ( he has access to the records online), and she had requested a 3 month visit in her application. If she arrived at Heathrow, and told the immigration officer that she now wanted a 6 month visit, then he may have said she could have the 3 months she originally requested. The fact that the visa validity is 6 months does not guarantee a 6 month entry to the UK. The immigration officer has the right ( in certain circumstances) to restrict the length of the visit to any period. If your wife applied for a 6 month visit, then you may have a valid complaint.

As I said, I have heard nothing about the immigration rules having been changed to restrict visits to a maximum of 3 months. It may have happened, but it certainay hasn't been publicised.

She has been twice in the last year to see her boyfriend once for six months and I think once for 3 months ,but the point is how can immigration just change what she has been given by the British embassy in Thailand 6 months to 3 months

That is the reason, in the last twelve months she seems to have spent most of time in the UK, I am surprised she even got her last visit visa approved without waiting a few months to apply.

Edited by Basil B

As I said, without knowing the facts, it's impossible to say. But, from what you have now said, I can have a good guess. The guidance to genuine visitors is that they should normally only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months in any 12 months. It is possible that she has exceeded that, and the immigration officer thinks it's possible that she is actually "living" in the UK rather than visiting. He would, therefore, consider it reasonable to restrict her stays as a "visitor". If that is the case, then he could have refused her entry, and returned her to Thailand.

Do you know what she actually said in her application, did she indicate that she planned to stay in the UK for six months?

You will be aware that visas are routinely issued with a six month validity, that doesn't mean all visitors have a six month holiday.

All that said, as far as I'm aware there is no change in the Immigration Rules restricting stays to three months, I suspect that if there had been they would have been widely publicised.