Staying safe on the roads of Koh Samui

Everybody who lives in Koh Samui is aware of the dangers on the islands roads and despite so many deaths many choose to still ride without a helmet. Many of the helmets provided by bike hire companies are not very substantial but despite common criticism that they would do nothing to protect you in the event of an accident something is better than nothing. They are better than nothing. It may prevent you having some of your face scraped away, losing an ear, or worse.

http://www.samuitimes.com/staying-safe-roads-koh-samui/

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 2

I noted full face helmets in Big C today for around THB 1000. The size that I looked at was 56 (56-58 would fit most ferangs) & had all metal fastening. Whether or not they'd be any good in an accident remains to be seen,but they're better than nothing & considerably safer than the 'homebase flowerpots' that come with hired bikes.

High vis vests were in Macro recently for around THB 100 for anyone driving at night.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Helmets in general are A false sense of security.They are plastic,Fiberglas.A hard solid hit and if your not done,your brain dead.

I see so many people riding in shorts,flip flops.A hard accident even if your head is saved,the rest of your body will be mangled up.As far as riding 2 wheels in Thailand ya have to be really good,and really careful.

I saw this today at the Big Buddha Temple.... raising money for coffins for accident victims.... some pretty gruesome photos on this board...

IMG_7903.CR2.jpg

IMG_7904.CR2.jpg

But too many people... think .... "it won't happen to me" ..... sad.png

Honda shop in Maenam, has better quality full face helmets, too... (or at least they used too) ....