Importing my bike to thailand

ricktak

In about 6 months I will be moving to Thailand with my family to live for hopefully quite a few years,(my wife is Thai and her mother recently passed away and left her a house and property and a small sand business) I was wondering how difficult it will be to bring my bike (1993 Kawasaki ZX11) with me and if I can bring it what kind of duties I would have to pay and will I be able to get it licensed and get insurance, I really don't want to get rid of the bike because if I do i probably won't be able to buy another one in Thailand. Since I will be moving to Thailand, the shipping will not be a problem because all our belongings will be shipped in a container together. Thanks in advance, and I will be posting a lot more questions in the future regarding visa, work permit and so on.

put the bike in your wifes name, a thai who has been working abroad for a specified number of years is entitled to bring back 1 container load of personal belongings tax free...buy a ferrari and make a few million.

getting it licensed will be another story, no reason to bring a 1993 model bike over.

As it has been written here many times forget about it plan on buying a bike here as too much trouble and hassel. I know a guy who imported a MG/TD to Thailand he even gives talks to expat groups on the process. He says the first mistake is people do not get permission from the Commerce Department before importing, then the car or bike sets in customs for years waiting for permission. It took Mike 2 years to get permission for import and he says no payment of tea money.

1993 old bike, that is just insane, are you emotionally connected with bike or what? Jeez, i would import harley from europe, but not some old junk of metal, dude, buy a new bike here

some people might be emotionally connected their bikes, yes and what is wrong with that?! i love my bikes too and always feel sad and emotional when i sell or leave them.

but op, taxes, customs, transport, under the table money etc, it will possibly cost a fortune and hassle to bring it here. most probably for the same expense, you can get a decent big bike here without any hassle. also service and parts will be a problem sure.

good luck.

As everyone has said - the bottom line is you "can't " do it....sensibly anyway.

The government is trying to build a local motorcycle-manufacturing industry here and part of that means protection from imports.

The only way I think it could be done was if it were registered in your wife's name - I believe vehicles can be imported back by Thai nationals who have lived abroad for extended periods of time, but you'd have to check???, and to be fair you'd be better off bringing over something you could profit from if she were allowed anyway.

But the bright side is that there are now 'loads' to choose from in the US$5k - 10k range that didn't exist only 5 or so years ago.

put the bike in your wifes name, a thai who has been working abroad for a specified number of years is entitled to bring back 1 container load of personal belongings tax free...buy a ferrari and make a few million.

I'm pretty certain those 'loopholes' were recently closed for Thais bringing over cars etc.

In the end OP you can bring your bike but be prepared for a long struggle with the Thai powers that be. Move here and then start the process as I said earlier you have to have permission first to import your Bike, that took Mike 2 years to get for his car. He made weekly trips to the Department of Commerce for two yers do you want to do this.