What Is It With Hardley Riders?

H1w4yR1da

great handling.... did you really write that ? If Rossi drives one of these heavy busses he probably still be faster then most of us but if you put average Joe wannabe badboy on it this happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU_lYBHpY#t=0

Actually the Harley saved his butt. He got into the corner too fast, put the bike over too far and lifted the rear tire off the ground as he slid on the frame. See the sparks from the frame. But the weight and low center of gravity of the bike caused it to lay down to the low side, slide, and he got off and jumped away from it with only a scraped knee from getting too low. (A good reason to wear leathers, even if they are chaps.) Other than try to go too fast, he was a very good rider.

Here's what happens with a lighter bike with a higher center of gravity. It crosses up and throws the rider into the air and over the high side of the bike. The poor sucker just has to be all banged up, and lucky to walk. He may still have been badly hurt and just not known it yet.

Don't think the Harley saved these butts:

(And to be fair, it does look like an 'S' bend of sorts - they can be tricky...)

fh82.png

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great handling.... did you really write that ? If Rossi drives one of these heavy busses he probably still be faster then most of us but if you put average Joe wannabe badboy on it this happens:

Actually the Harley saved his butt. He got into the corner too fast, put the bike over too far and lifted the rear tire off the ground as he slid on the frame. See the sparks from the frame. But the weight and low center of gravity of the bike caused it to lay down to the low side, slide, and he got off and jumped away from it with only a scraped knee from getting too low. (A good reason to wear leathers, even if they are chaps.) Other than try to go too fast, he was a very good rider.

Here's what happens with a lighter bike with a higher center of gravity. It crosses up and throws the rider into the air and over the high side of the bike. The poor sucker just has to be all banged up, and lucky to walk. He may still have been badly hurt and just not known it yet.

(And to be fair, it does look like an 'S' bend of sorts - they can be tricky...)

fh82.png

where is that irony smiley when you nee one...

fh82.png

Yes, the Harley saved their butts. Their lack of leathers would result in a lot of road rash, and trying to take the corner faster than any vehicle could do it put them into the situation.

The Harley went down on the low side sliding which is far preferable to flipping and throwing them into the air over the high side. If they had gone off over the high side, they would have been thrown into that gully to the left and probably killed.

That picture was taken in the US in a place called The Tail of The Dragon, aka Deal's Gap in Blount County, Tennessee and partly in North Carolina. It is considered one of the world's most challenging motorcycle runs, and it attracts idiots who try to run it for time.

He simply entered a nasty corner at a speed greater than virtually any vehicle could negotiate it. There is a reason why the guy who has Killboy.com sets up his camera and tripod on that particular corner.

Try it for yourself. I've run it many times.

22.jpg

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

"He simply entered a nasty corner at a speed greater than virtually any vehicle could negotiate it"

This made me laugh out loud. You're a funny guy. Any vehicle ? Almost any big bike made on earth could probably take that corner faster than that sofa on wheels.

• Like 1

"He simply entered a nasty corner at a speed greater than virtually any vehicle could negotiate it"

This made me laugh out loud. You're a funny guy. Any vehicle ? Almost any big bike made on earth could probably take that corner faster than that sofa on wheels.

If you haven't ridden The Tail of The Dragon, you should probably keep your comments to yourself.

Link for pictures

Les.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

And notice how they crash when showing off or pushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Exactly. It isn't an indictment of the bikes, but rather the riders.

I guess you did not see the speed wobble video......

• Like 1

If you haven't ridden The Tail of The Dragon, you should probably keep your comments to yourself.

Link for pictures

Les.jpg

hahaha, keep em coming dude. your American i presume ? Are you really that ignorant to think that this is the non plus ultra of bike roads in the world ?
I like to drive in the Italian alps and the hardleys i have seen (and passed) were all going as fast as the average garden snail .
the tail of the dragon.... sounds to me like a cheap Chuck Norris movie.
Ever heard about the Stelvio pass ? http://www.oddee.com/item_96660.aspx
Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 1

I've been around Harleys all of my life. I've seen that "wobble" once. We got the bike into a certified shop, and it had low shock pressure, low tire pressure, and one tire that was out of round from improper braking. It was soon sorted out.

I have several hundred thousand miles on Harleys and I've never experienced it.

I think you could make any bike wobble like that. Just give me a spoke wrench and about ten minutes.

If you have ever personally seen a Harley wobble like that, or had a friend complain that his did, speak up.

I think that pic demonstrates quite a few points and we can all learn something.

The road looks pretty dam'n dangerous to be honest - ridden similar ones, but nothing quite as hairy really.

very similar to what is happening here on the roads in thailand lol. Only difference is that Thai drivers can't drive as well as Americans so even more dangerous

I've been around Harleys all of my life. I've seen that "wobble" once. We got the bike into a certified shop, and it had low shock pressure, low tire pressure, and one tire that was out of round from improper braking. It was soon sorted out.

I have several hundred thousand miles on Harleys and I've never experienced it.

I think you could make any bike wobble like that. Just give me a spoke wrench and about ten minutes.

If you have ever personally seen a Harley wobble like that, or had a friend complain that his did, speak up.

so that video was fake ?

[media]

[/media] Edited by pokerkid

Let's get back to the nuts and bolts. A Harley was never designed to race. It was designed to carry two people and luggage on the long highways and mountain grades of America. It was designed to have gobs of torque at low rpm's so that it would run easily all day long. It is a purpose-built motorcycle.

Those who want to race should buy something else and if they can afford it, it might be a Harley V-Rod. If they can't afford it, then it will probably be a cheap Jap bike.

And like a Mercedes, It didn't try to prove it was the fastest at anything. It is made for those who appreciate beautiful fit and finish and comfort.

Like a Mercedes, it's also out of reach of those who can't afford it. Those who can't afford it naturally have to knock it to save face.

It's the biggest case of penis envy I've ever seen. thumbsup.gif

I'm outta here. That's enough Harley bashing by those who can't afford one. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

so that video was fake ?

No, it needs some kind of repair or adjustment which could happen to any bike. It has a tire that's out of round, wrong tire pressure, low or uneven shock pressure, it needs spoke adjustment, or some kind of repair. That behavior is not normal for Harleys, and whatever is wrong with it would affect any bike.

NOW I'm outta here, leaving the skint jealous types to themselves.

Edited by NeverSure

Let's get back to the nuts and bolts. A Harley was never designed to race. It was designed to carry two people and luggage on the long highways and mountain grades of America. It was designed to have gobs of torque at low rpm's so that it would run easily all day long. It is a purpose-built motorcycle.

Those who want to race should buy something else and if they can afford it, it might be a Harley V-Rod. If they can't afford it, then it will probably be a cheap Jap bike.

And like a Mercedes, It didn't try to prove it was the fastest at anything. It is made for those who appreciate beautiful fit and finish and comfort.

Like a Mercedes, it's also out of reach of those who can't afford it. Those who can't afford it naturally have to knock it to save face.

I'm outta here. That's enough Harley bashing by those who can't afford one. coffee1.gif

Forget about the XR(TT) models over the years?

1980_Harley_Davidson_XR750_1.jpg

Hahahahaha,..... You hardley riders always think we envy you guys. Maybe some do (who ride the jap cruisers) but most of us really don't.

I know its not easy for you to understand this but a hardley is not god's greatest gift to the motorcycling community.

There are so many more bikes that are more beautiful, ride better , are better engineered and are better value that frankly we are spoiled for choice.

Its precisely this type of arrogance that most people hate in hardley riders.

It's the biggest case of penis envy I've ever seen.     Posted Image

I'm outta here. That's enough Harley bashing by those who can't afford one.  Posted Image

Posted Image

What, European bikes don't get a say?

Interesting article on Wikipedia about the XR750. They say:

"Riders on XR-750s have won 29 of the 37 AMA Grand National Championships from 1972 to 2008 inclusive. Besides having more wins than any other bike in AMA racing, it has been called the "most successful race bike of all time."

• Like 1

1980_Harley_Davidson_XR750_1.jpg

seen a harley xr1200 race prepped yesterday at the race session, the guy was doing fine actually with liter bikes.

seen a harley xr1200 race prepped yesterday at the race session, the guy was doing fine actually with liter bikes.

"seen a harley xr1200 race prepped yesterday at the race session, the guy was doing fine actually with liter bikes rice burners."

"seen a harley xr1200 race prepped yesterday at the race session, the guy was doing fine actually with liter bikes rice burners."

i said he was doing fine but he was one of the last bikes passed the finish linelaugh.png after him there was a couple of 250 cc bike i remember close to him though!

still, it was a statement to come to a track day with a Harley and i respect that.

and those liter bikes or rice burners like you say can draw circles around all harleys! and even my cbr500r can do that and if i push maybe a cbr250r.

Edited by ll2

i read this on another forum once

" I want to live my life according to moral behaviour not government laws, i kind of like the lawless attitude of bikies how ever they contradict their philosphy by stepping on other peoples toes, friend or foe

a fanged warning to bikies, govts, farang oozing their arrogance around thailand, the money printers

the red shirts are your creation

a mindless mob lashing out out the invisible hands <deleted> up the world with their immoral behaviour"