Central Festival -- opening this Thursday now

infernalman7

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So will this opening be the nail in Promenada s coffin,as Thais

always seem to move on to the newest opening Mall.

Surely this must be the last mall that Chiang Mai can support

don't think it would be feasible or profitable to open anymore

as there seems to be a glut of them, now lets hope they fight

it out for market share by offering discounts and promotions.

It has been said that England is a Nation of shopkeepers,but

with all the new Malls and shophouses sprouting up everywhere

Thailand must now take the crown.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Dont Forget Maya- still due to open next month??

I agree, there are now too many for all to be a commercial success surely; inevitably they compete for at least some of the same customers and they become aircon-cool places to walk, rather than places to spend money.

I was in Suphanburi last month which boasts a shiny new Mall complete with Robinsons but hardly a soul in there. Central Group have deep pockets-I just hope they are deep enough...

regards Worgeordie

Dont Forget Maya- still due to open next month??

I agree, there are now too many for all to be a commercial success surely; inevitably they compete for at least some of the same customers and they become aircon-cool places to walk, rather than places to spend money.

I was in Suphanburi last month which boasts a shiny new Mall complete with Robinsons but hardly a soul in there. Central Group have deep pockets-I just hope they are deep enough...

Some are bound to fail. There is not enough business to go around to support all of them. I have my bet on the first to fail.

• Like 1

Just got back from Central Festival. The traffic was horrendous. Full of people.

I think Promenada is going to survive. But it won't be as profitable. I do feel bad for the management of Promenada. They really have to rework on their tenants which are sub-par in comparison to Central Festival.

Maya which is due to open next month would do just fine as it would attract the crowd from Nimman/University area.

My impression so far:

M&S does have very little food option. No brownies but plenty of chips, chocolate and cookies.

H&M and ZARA aren't opened yet.

Central FoodHall is very good. Rimping would have to watch their back!

The new Central is really big and possibly the best Central Department I've seen so far after Chidlom

Quite a lot of "pretty girls" hired for events wanting to take photos with farang boy tongue.png . Everything is very loud and annoying.

And finally, MUJI in Chiang Mai. Now I don't have to go down to Bangkok or Hong Kong to stock up on quality stationary.

EDIT:

After Maya, there are still three more giant malls to come to Chiang Mai

- Platinum

- CBP Mall (business park next to Carrefour)

- Asiatique Riverside

Central is also planning a super high end food court in Chiang Mai called Groove. I have a feeling that they might have to stop this plan as I am in doubt whether residents here would be willing to pay 600 baht++ for a meal on a regular basis.

Edited by infernalman7

This is so exciting............now we can shop till we drop!!goof.gif

I'll wait until the crowds slow down before checking it out. I've never been a fan of grand openings as they always goof because of being new and having untrained staff ........................as if they have any trained staff in any of the shops here.cheesy.gif

So, please continue with your mall exploration reports and save me the pain. saai.gif

BTW.....The Prom gets my vote so far for a relaxing well designed [but not thought out] mall experience and an easy in and out of Rimping and a movie if there are any good flicks playing

Edited by jaideeguy

This is so exciting............now we can shop till we drop!!goof.gif.pagespeed.ce.KJ2oZpgSLm.gif alt=goof.gif width=20 height=22>

I'll wait until the crowds slow down before checking it out. I've never been a fan of grand openings as they always goof because of being new and having untrained staff ........................as if they have any trained staff in any of the shops here.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

So, please continue with your mall exploration reports and save me the pain. saai.gif alt=saai.gif>

BTW.....The Prom gets my vote so far for a relaxing well designed [but not thought out] mall experience and an easy in and out of Rimping and a movie if there are any good flicks playing

Well I am with you on the Promenade. As it is there is a much more relaxed laid back feeling there than I find in other Malls. The big problem for me is other than the movie theater and the Dukes I find no reason to go there. Defiantly lacking in the quality shops they were promoting when they first announced the Mall.

Thanks for the link always nice to have proof I have not missed any thing.

How did they get the spotlights to shine up in the air in the day light?tongue.png

What puts me off these malls is all the noise, was at Robinsons Airport the

other day ,and there was about 4 sound systems belting out different sounds,

I am sure in Guantanamo they only use the one so the inmates cannot sleep.

it must effect the workers at these malls ,would not like to do 8 hrs in there.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

Central is also planning a super high end food court in Chiang Mai called Groove. I have a feeling that they might have to stop this plan as I am in doubt whether residents here would be willing to pay 600 baht++ for a meal on a regular basis.

Not in a food court anyway.

It's totally open but for a few shops (the ice rink is not ready yet).

But one question: What is the deal with all these Japanese restaurants? Eight of 10 food places there are Japanese. I don't get it.

Trend? but in all fairness, the Japanese have a huge presence just South of CM and CM is where they live and spend - my condo building is chocka with Japanese, lovely people and their food is excellent too.

Well I am with you on the Promenade. As it is there is a much more relaxed laid back feeling there than I find in other Malls.

Maybe that's because it's empty.

wink.png

It is every time I go there, odd really.

The parking lot, and the general layout of Promenada is weird. For such a huge investment, you'd think they'd have done the finer points a bit better.

Well I am with you on the Promenade. As it is there is a much more relaxed laid back feeling there than I find in other Malls.

Maybe that's because it's empty.

wink.png

It is every time I go there, odd really.

The parking lot, and the general layout of Promenada is weird. For such a huge investment, you'd think they'd have done the finer points a bit better.

I agree, driver access is not simple and parking is odd, walk inside and it always seems to be ready for the next step but never quite gets there.

>>Why would a sensible person do that, go to a mall on the opening day, crazy, or am I missing something.<<

It was not bad at all .That junction is like that every day at 6 pm .I got there around 4.30 pm and the traffic was flowing smoothly then .returned at 6.20 pm to SanSai ,which only took about 20 minutes .( it would have been less but for a fatal motorcycle accident on the 1001 .road ) .

But one question: What is the deal with all these Japanese restaurants? Eight of 10 food places there are Japanese. I don't get it.

Trend? but in all fairness, the Japanese have a huge presence just South of CM and CM is where they live and spend - my condo building is chocka with Japanese, lovely people and their food is excellent too.

Same in Bangkok though, loads of Japanese chains in every mall and they seem immensely popular with the locals.

I'm confused. Just in this thread the "I was told by" TV experts have said that the fate of KSK is:

1. Central will leave

2.The Mall will take over

3. Central will stay

4. Tesco Lotus has bought it

My understanding from an impeccable source is that the entire complex is to be taken over by California Wow.

Please help. Which is it, if any?

• Like 1

Well based on what has been discussed on Pantip.com, Central's contract with KSK is definitely coming to an end but that does not rule the possibility of renewing the contract.

The Mall taking over is definitely one of the most long running rumor I've heard since I was in 9th grade :P

Tesco Lotus buying it is new to me. Haven't heard of this before.

But with respect of KSK, it is unlikely that renovation is going to be cost effective. That is why investors opt to build new. The layout is complicated, outdate and very undesirable.

Those restaurants that are everywhere are not Japanese restaurants by any stretch of the imagination. They are a Japanese-style Thai food restaurant. You would not find some of the things served in these places in Japan - like sushi with sweet mayonnaise sauce, etc. Thais love going to those kind of places. I can't stand them. But Japanese food is excellent indeed. Most Thais don't like it.