Arriving in Australia with out a transit visa

If your baggage is checked right through to NZ you shouldn't have to clear immigration and you would stay in the Transit Lounge - no Aussie Visa required.

If you have to collect your baggage to tranship to the NZ flight, you WILL have to clear immigration - They will require a Transit Visa.

I'm not sure how tough the application is for a Thai citizen - easy for a westerner, basically name and passport number.

Apply for one now online and if they qualify, it should electronically logged against their passport before you leave on Tue/Wed.

Even if you don't get them electronically logged in time, you will instantly receive an acknowledgement of application by email which you should take with you. As they have visas to enter NZ it would be a mean spirited immigration officer (even for Australia) that would detain them or deport them back to Thailand if they have applied for the transit visa.

It all comes down to whether or not you have to leave the Transit area to re-check your baggage. Alternatively, travel with hand luggage only.

Edit: I just remembered that Air Asia stopped flights to NZ so I assume you've booked 2 independent legs. In that case, if you're taking baggage you WILL need a transit visa as there's no way your bags will be checked right through to NZ.

Edited by Gsxrnz

From the above link & information provided by you looks like you have to complete applications accompanied by the passport and

photograph that can be lodged by you or by your representative.

Not trying to be alarmist, but given your timeline I would strongly recommend you contact the Australian Embassy AM Monday to confirm processing time. The application form can be accessed at: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/876.pdf

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

The airline will probably refuse you to board as you do not have a transit visa for Australia. Ring the airline and see what they say.

Excellent point.

But why bother? Better to just fly across the world with a young child and hope for the best at the other end.

Hang on, he already said Air Asia say you do need customs clearance in Sydney. Still, they could be wrong. Maybe. Hopefully.

A travel agent would also know the answer, if you don't believe Air Asia.

As Air Asia X do not have inter-line agreements with any airline, you won't be able to check in all the way through to NZ.

You should still, however be able to check in for the NZ flight without having to clear Immigration in SYD by going to the International Transfer counter desk at SYD.

Provided you've got sufficient time, the airline can retrieve your baggage and transfer it to the NZ flight without having to re-check your baggage landside.

If you're running short on connection time (and/or you don't get the transit visas for your family), I would suggest you (just you) clear Customs and Immigration, collect the baggage and then re-check it upstairs.

Provided of course the overall baggage weights fall in line with the airlines limits for one person (you would need to send your family through the security screening prior to them heading upstairs) your wife would have to check herself and son in (at the international transit counter) whilst you're doing your thing outside.

• Like 1