Slot machine seized, 2 arrested in Phuket raid

webfact

Slot machine seized, 2 arrested in Phuket raid
Eakkapop Thongtub

1385958777_1.jpg
The slot machine in question.

PHUKET: -- Police seized a gambling slot machine in a laundry at the back of a 7-Eleven shop on Pa Khlok Rd at midday yesterday (December 1).

Acting on information received, police raided the laundry and found the machine, along with the laundry owner Punnada Hanbang, 47, and Sukaseam Jaroensuk, 26, who was playing on the machine at the time.

They arrested both and seized the machine along with B2,450 in B10 coins in the machine and another B1,640 in B10 coins on a table in the shop. They also seized paper slips recording wins from the machine.

After her arrest, Punnada called the owner of the machine, who went to the police station to attempt to negotiate the release of the two people and of the slot machine.

Police, however, rejected this attempt and charged Pannada and Sukaseam with breaking laws governing gambling. The owner of the machine was neither arrested nor charged.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/slot-machine-seized-2-arrested-in-phuket-raid-43172.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-02

Theres one of these on the road by the lake nr land and house in one of the thai minimarts.

Its been there at least a year or more.

Fixed to high heaven yet played all the time by the customers.

Making a small fortune since its been there.

55555555555555555555555555555555....that one tickled me.

A few years back, the two young Thai chaps who opened a little 'local' bar near my condo (Bangkok) had one (horse racing). Very fond of these pleasant guys, I once asked why they were getting involved with something so illegal when they could lose their livelihood if it were seen by the BIBs. Unprepared for the reply, I was... "The police are OK, it belongs to them!" Followed by some laughs.

At one point they actually wanted it removed because too many youngsters were coming in, then when pissed-off at losing, started getting nasty around the bar, and regular fights broke-out. They requested the machine to be taken away, but were told "no" because it was earning too well.

At the same time every evening (witnessed many-a-time when sitting supping my Leo) the owner (a BIB, I'm told) would arrive on his motorbike with the coin-counting machine strapped to the pillion seat (fully visible). He would strike a look, and occasionally grunt, at the owner then go and empty the machine and count the proceeds on the premises; business complete, he'd then lock a sack full of coins under his bike's seat and zip away; surreal, really.

Regarding this current story, I can only assume 'somebody' thought something fishy was going on with the machine's takings.

What a place!