Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Judgment day arrives for Essendon, James Hird in case against ASADA — and the AFL is watching closely

JUSTICE John Middleton could take as little as 10 minutes to deliver his judgment in Essendon’s Federal Court battle against Australia’s anti-doping watchdog on Friday, but the ramifications will be felt far and wide and take years to play out.

Most immediately will be whether the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority can continue its prosecution of 34 current and former Essendon players for the alleged use of banned peptide Thymosin-beta 4.

WATCH THE VERDICT LIVE HERE FROM 1PM FRIDAY EST

This could happen in two ways — ASADA is ruled to have conducted its joint investigation with the AFL lawfully; or the investigation is judged to be unlawful, but the anti-doping body is allowed to keep or reacquire the evidence it has gathered enabling it to reissue show cause notices to the players.

Apart from the obvious implication for players that they would again be the subject of anti-doping action, such a decision could also be the trigger for a split in the player ranks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/judgment-day-arrives-for-essendon-james-hird-in-case-against-asada-and-the-afl-is-watching-closely/story-fnp04d70-1227063198079

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Here's last nights full episode of AFL360, featuring both Fyfe and Selwood.

This guy who uploads these is a champion, wished I found out earlier has the episodes from the night before generally up on the same day...

Good find GS.

This is a great resource, I have been catching up on some Open Mike interviews form the year

• Like 1

KhunWill. A suggestion here that West Coast players were using steroids or something back in 1992-1994? Video should start at the 20 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/3X9Afij-vJM?t=20m

There was a bit of talk/innuendo around, but personally I don't think so.

When WC first started, apart from the ones that didn't come back home from Vic,

most were young skinny surfy types.

They kept on getting beat up. It was one of the reasons Woosha built himself up.

Came home from a game and said to his old man,"I've got to get bigger to protect

the guys". Before that he was another lightly built midfielder.

The early WC squad was talent laden but inexperienced in AFL footy and in the early

days had no decent training grounds, experienced coaches etc. It was basically WAFL

guys with a few AFL ones playing.

It was only when Malthouse arrived that the club really hardened up and became professional

with proper gym and training I reckon.

Couch mentions Jackovich. Jacko was playing league footy at 16 and was always big.

I remember Blight saying after a GL loss to WC "it's hard playing against 18 ruck-rovers".

Dermie said they played the best football he had ever seen in 1991 when they won their first 13.

So do I think they were on steroids, no.

But don't talk to me about recreation drugs in the Cousins, Fletcher and Chicks daysbiggrin.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

KhunWill. A suggestion here that West Coast players were using steroids or something back in 1992-1994? Video should start at the 20 minute mark.

http://youtu.be/3X9Afij-vJM?t=20m

There was a bit of talk/innuendo around, but personally I don't think so.

When WC first started, apart from the ones that didn't come back home from Vic,

most were young skinny surfy types.

They kept on getting beat up. It was one of the reasons Woosha built himself up.

Came home from a game and said to his old man,"I've got to get bigger to protect

the guys". Before that he was another lightly built midfielder.

The early WC squad was talent laden but inexperienced in AFL footy and in the early

days had no decent training grounds, experienced coaches etc. It was basically WAFL

guys with a few AFL ones playing.

It was only when Malthouse arrived that the club really hardened up and became professional

with proper gym and training I reckon.

Couch mentions Jackovich. Jacko was playing league footy at 16 and was always big.

I remember Blight saying after a GL loss to WC "it's hard playing against 18 ruck-rovers".

Dermie said they played the best football he had ever seen in 1991 when they won their first 13.

So do I think they were on steroids, no.

But don't talk to me about recreation drugs in the Cousins, Fletcher and Chicks daysbiggrin.png

I remember the day he knocked out Tony Modra at Subiaco, the Crows players all remembered important business up the other end of the ground.

Mob of girls...lol

• Like 2

Here's last nights full episode of AFL360, featuring both Fyfe and Selwood.

This guy who uploads these is a champion, wished I found out earlier has the episodes from the night before generally up on the same day...

Good find GS.

This is a great resource, I have been catching up on some Open Mike interviews form the year

Yeah this week's been rather unproductive due to catching up on some of the footy shows that I took for granted when living at home.

• Like 1

Sad to say that this doesn't surprise me.

Failed AFL recruit Dayle Garlett charged with aggravated burglary, car theft

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/failed-afl-recruit-dayle-garlett-charged-with-aggravated-burglary-car-theft/story-fnhocxo3-1227063661405

Imagine if he had actually played a couple of seasons...

Indeed a promising player that followed an all to familiar path...

Leave our boy alone Malthouse, you bastardtongue.png

Carlton keen to lure out of favour Sydney young gun Tom Mitchell via trade

Unless you lot are offering up Lycett and some draft picks, you can bugger off too :P

• Like 1

Essendon may very well be without a team next year.

Looks like your boys have been gifted the opportunity to hand over the Wooden Spoon for next year wink.png

Never thought of that. They still have 21 days to appeal to the high court. I presume they will do so if they want a team next year.

• Like 2

Unless you lot are offering up Lycett and some draft picks, you can bugger off too tongue.png

Mitchell is going.

For whatever reason the Swans seem to feel they have a more balanced mid field without including him.

Another 400-500k a year saved i guess...probably pay it to someone high performing like Sam Reid.

Speaking of players who get chosen over Mitchell.

Jake Lloyd. An article about some very strange training methods he had since a boy..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/few-men-have-worked-harder-to-pull-on-an-afl-jumper-than-sydney-swans-midfielder-jake-lloyd/story-e6frf3e3-1227063134188

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

"At any stage of the process will the Essendon board feel they should sack Hird? Maybe he feels, as coach., when the supplements program was run, he should resign?

If Essendon can drag it through the courts for another few years, most of the players should be able to reach retirement age."

I reckon hirdy should fall on his sword and resign. let Bomber Thompson do the job.

• Like 1

Unless you lot are offering up Lycett and some draft picks, you can bugger off too tongue.png

Mitchell is going.

For whatever reason the Swans seem to feel they have a more balanced mid field without including him.

Another 400-500k a year saved i guess...probably pay it to someone high performing like Sam Reid.

Speaking of players who get chosen over Mitchell.

Jake Lloyd. An article about some very strange training methods he had since a boy..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/few-men-have-worked-harder-to-pull-on-an-afl-jumper-than-sydney-swans-midfielder-jake-lloyd/story-e6frf3e3-1227063134188

Mitchell's old man was an assistant coach at Freo so he has ties to WAthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Well BM and rip, we're going to the big show!

Plenty to like about the boys tonight, if the get the Hawks, they won't be able to open up like that.

Gary Rohan played his best game all year!

Spider-Man had Bruce jizzing in his pants!

Think Mitchell might get a call up with Butterfingers likely to miss through copping a knock to his knee.

Reg Grundy looking in doubt as well..

Buddy Goodes game that, Tippet them to have a bit of influence :P

• Like 2

Well BM and rip, we're going to the big show!

Plenty to like about the boys tonight, if the get the Hawks, they won't be able to open up like that.

Gary Rohan played his best game all year!

Spider-Man had Bruce jizzing in his pants!

Think Mitchell might get a call up with Butterfingers likely to miss through copping a knock to his knee.

Reg Grundy looking in doubt as well..

Buddy Goodes game that, Tippet them to have a bit of influence tongue.png

Very Punny GS tongue.png

Reid will be okay. Hope Grundy is too.

Young blokes stood up tonight. And of course Buddy, Tippet, Goodes in his best game of the year.

Best I have seen Sydney play this year. (the 100 point thrashing of geelong was pretty good also)

Pressure football, but such clean use of the handball by the Swans

• Like 1

Yeah the young fellas really stood up tonight to be counted.

But Spider-Man really stood out and the blokes only a whipper snapper at 21! He'll jag a brownlow in a few years...

Goodesy really knows how to play finals footy, his best game of the year, just vintage Goodes...

Geez it'll be good to have Port get up tomorrow and have an all interstate GF.

• Like 2

346886-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

RUCKMAN Patrick Ryder has quit Essendon and requested a trade to a new club.

The 26-year-old has been linked to the Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney, but the Bombers were hopeful he could be convinced to stay.

In the wake of Essendon's case against ASADA being defeated in court on Friday, sources close to Ryder have told AFL.com.au that the ruckman has finalised his wish to leave the club just two years into a four-year contract.

The important ruckman could attempt leave the Bombers on the grounds they seriously breached their duty of care to him through the supplements scandal of 2011-12.

That clause could also be used to convince the Bombers to orchestrate a trade.

Essendon would receive no compensation for losing Ryder under the new rule, which was pushed by the AFLPA and introduced as a result of the club's breaches.

Ryder enjoyed probably his best season in 2014, averaging a career-high 26 hit-outs and kicking 20 goals in 21 games.

Earlier this week, Essendon defender Cale Hooker was hopeful Ryder would reject overtures from other clubs and stay with the Bombers

• Like 2

The 26-year-old has been linked to the Brisbane Lions, Port Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney, but the Bombers were hopeful he could be convinced to stay.

In the wake of Essendon's case against ASADA being defeated in court on Friday, sources close to Ryder have told AFL.com.au that the ruckman has finalised his wish to leave the club just two years into a four-year contract.

The important ruckman could attempt leave the Bombers on the grounds they seriously breached their duty of care to him through the supplements scandal of 2011-12.

Essendon would receive no compensation for losing Ryder under the new rule, which was pushed by the AFLPA and introduced as a result of the club's breaches.

Ryder enjoyed probably his best season in 2014, averaging a career-high 26 hit-outs and kicking 20 goals in 21 games.

Earlier this week, Essendon defender Cale Hooker was hopeful Ryder would reject overtures from other clubs and stay with the Bombers

Wouldn't think GWS needed him

Not a great finals game to watch unless you were a Syd supporter I guess.

It did really look like 1 versus 6 to be honest. Congrats to North for getting there

but all year I think there's been a huge gap after Port at 5th.

I'm hoping for a better game today.

If the hawks get up, it will set up a ripping GF.

Buddy might be the difference in the end.

• Like 1

Use a draft pick to get him and then ASADA rubs him out for a couple of years huge gamble

• Like 1

Use a draft pick to get him and then ASADA rubs him out for a couple of years huge gamble

Good point Chooka.

I am not sure that a club would have to use a draft pick though. You don't use your own draft picks for Unrestricted free agents do you? this would probably fall under the same category