Temperatures in Thailand's North, Northeast expected to fall further

webfact

Cold snap in Thailand’s north
Jody Houton

CHIANG RAI: -- The Thai government has declared 65 provinces ‘disaster zones’ after temperatures plummeted to an unprecedented low of 15C (59F).

In the affected areas, government authorities are handing out free warm clothing and winter blankets to residents. The north of the country is the worst affected area, with reports that high in the mountains the temperature is just 1C (34F).

One 51-year-old man has already died, apparently because of the sudden heat drop.

Any province in Thailand which ‘suffers’ from more than three consecutive days of sub-15C temperatures can apply for emergency funding.

Explanations for the weather-shift include a cold wind from China brought in by high pressure drift.

Temperatures are unlikely to drop to below 15C in Phuket.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/cold-snap-in-thailand%E2%80%99s-north-43508.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-18

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is saying it is cold in Bangkok right now, Monday we are travelling to England 1st time in 4 years for this Christmas festivities, she will know what cold is when we arrive in London! She will be in for more of a shock when we head up to the North East in the New Year & then onto Aberdeen!

Indeed. They don't know what cold is.

I don't understand how CM has frost with a minimum of 14C?

Have a good one, keep the nips of internal central heating going down your neck.

My wife is saying it is cold in Bangkok right now, Monday we are travelling to England 1st time in 4 years for this Christmas festivities, she will know what cold is when we arrive in London! She will be in for more of a shock when we head up to the North East in the New Year & then onto Aberdeen!

Indeed. They don't know what cold is.

I don't understand how CM has frost with a minimum of 14C?

That is at Doi Inthonon, which is the highest (2565 meters - 8415 feet) and coldest spot in Thailand, where it reached -2 C

• Like 1

Toasty warm in Udon. 2 portable oil heaters downstairs and 1 in each bedroom. coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

Get a duck down quilt and long john set, and a fur bottom nightgown for the misses.cheesy.gif save oil expense .

I have regular and also Winter weight quilts.

Am intrigued by the fur bottom nightgown. Thought I'd seen everything, but obviously not.

Sleeping with socks on is a far as we go.

Toasty warm in Udon. 2 portable oil heaters downstairs and 1 in each bedroom. coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

Get a duck down quilt and long john set, and a fur bottom nightgown for the misses.cheesy.gif save oil expense .

I have regular and also Winter weight quilts.

Am intrigued by the fur bottom nightgown. Thought I'd seen everything, but obviously not.

Sleeping with socks on is a far as we go.

Sorry for my remark re "fur bottom nightgown" it was not personal just an old UK joke --meaning to keep the misses NECK WARM cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 2

Just got back to our Mae-On "But and Bann" after a month in Blighty and would suggest that last night was probably the coldest I can remember up here.

Done the usual family visits ..London,Yorkshire,Glasgow,Edinburgh and Amsterdam which although nippy was different to the "jungle chill"

Wife in anticipation even bought a couple of woolly jumpers for our twa dugs (2x dogs)and very smart they look in them.

Quick visit to our local beer shop showed the village all locked up and not a soul in sight...brrrrr.

Nobody in the restaurant that we go either but the very "phet" Tom Yung went down a treat as did the beer..looks of dismay when I insisted on extra ice.

• Like 1

what freezes at 14C???

apart from drunk thai people?

E2A - <15C is officially a disaster zone now...

how many millions can the syphon from the disaster relief funds before 'winter' ends in like 4 more days?

oh and what happened to the 'emergency blankets' that got handed out during previous years 'disasters'

BTW - the lunatics are running this asylum

Edited by edgarfriendly

64*F here in Mae-Jo, just outside Chiang Mai, I've just added a wee drop of 'antifreeze' (well, Tullamore Dew) to my second coffee of the morning. smile.png

Certainly was cold last night !

Ha! Wife will never leave me. Plugged in the electric blanket last night and she is extra affectionate today!

• Like 1

64*F here in Mae-Jo, just outside Chiang Mai, I've just added a wee drop of 'antifreeze' (well, Tullamore Dew) to my second coffee of the morning. smile.png

Certainly was cold last night !

Ha! Wife will never leave me. Plugged in the electric blanket last night and she is extra affectionate today!

Hope it has an earth wire. ?? Switch it on to extra high setting, she will give you her goldcheesy.gif

Disaster zone! How on earth is this a disaster?

Buy a coat, some socks, maybe a hat and put on a few more layers and it's business as usual.

&lt;deleted&gt;, it's hardly an ice storm or anywhere near temperatures/weather experienced in other countries.

Maybe anything to deflect attention away from YS and her clowns is currently a 'disaster'.

• Like 1

Here in Chiangmai city was the first night with no fans on, pajamas and extra blanket for the kids.

Actually I love the cooler weather. Still glorious during the day and nice and cool too. Saving on power bill is an extra little bonus.

,... and yet this is a country where they still refuse to put heaters in new cars. The explanation for this by the dealers (happened twice now with last two car purchases) is "oh sir,.. sorry but you do not need heater in car in Thailand because Thailand very hot country"!

That may be so in summer,.. but in winter NOT,.. even driving on the highway at night from BKK to CM the interior fogs up because the external glass area is much colder than that inside.

But will they listen or will they change???

Here in Chiangmai city was the first night with no fans on, pajamas and extra blanket for the kids.

Actually I love the cooler weather. Still glorious during the day and nice and cool too. Saving on power bill is an extra little bonus.

,... and yet this is a country where they still refuse to put heaters in new cars. The explanation for this by the dealers (happened twice now with last two car purchases) is "oh sir,.. sorry but you do not need heater in car in Thailand because Thailand very hot country"!

That may be so in summer,.. but in winter NOT,.. even driving on the highway at night from BKK to CM the interior fogs up because the external glass area is much colder than that inside.

Some of the higher priced cars have heaters in them here....

Before my Vios did not have but my top speck March has dual Heat/cold.

Jomtien was 17 overnight and 19 at 8am. I didn't think it was all that cold, but my wife has just returned from the market with a miniature hot water bottle &lt;deleted&gt;!

I didn't know they were available in Thailand?

Edit/Update: Cultural misunderstanding - I just gave her a wind up about it and she didn't understand the concept of a hot water bottle keeping you warm in bed. Apparently Thai women use them to put on their stomachs to relieve period pain, news to me obviously.

However now she grasps the concept of a hot water bottle in bed, and thinks it's a bloody good idea. blink.png

Edited by Gsxrnz

My car (Opel Omega) have heated seats.

what freezes at 14C???

apart from drunk thai people?

E2A - <15C is officially a disaster zone now...

how many millions can the syphon from the disaster relief funds before 'winter' ends in like 4 more days?

oh and what happened to the 'emergency blankets' that got handed out during previous years 'disasters'

BTW - the lunatics are running this asylum

I take it you have never seen these 'emergency blankets' they are absolutly usless hold them up to light and you can see right through them,just the thing to keep you warm on a summers night,at one time they did give a type of quilt these where better.And before you ask they for the in laws not for me.

My car (Opel Omega) have heated seats.

My Rolls Royce has heated chairs.giggle.gif

• Like 1

I love it! Time to do all the things I or she refuses to do when its too hot...like go to Chatuchak, or up to Ayutthya or Sukhothai and do some touristy stuff around Bangers.I haven't been up Wat Saket or around the Grand Palace or Wat Po for years (I've meant to many times but usually lunch it out when even the walk to the car has me sweating)....looking forward to doing that this week. I may even have a go at the garden if I'm allowed.

I like "the boot being on the other foot" feeling. It's usually we Westerners who struggle with the heat usually much to the mirth of the locals but now seeing how badly some deal with the 'cold' always makes me chuckle. There isn't a ''plastic bag solution'' to the cold as there is to the rain. I think the Thai fear of sunlight doesn't help. It was a delicious crispy 60 this morning when we had our Breakfast in the garden and even I'll admit to feeling nippy so I moved the table over to the corner of the garden which was bathed in sunshine much to the wife's chagrin but it was either that or sit there shivering but she grew up in the UK so it's nothing new to her. The commotion coming from the neighbours, you'd have thought there'd been 15 foot of snow overnight and not just a dip in the mercury, so being a helpful chap I told them to sit in the lovely sunshine and absorb the warmth, but they looked at me like I'd told them to go skinny dipping...

• Like 1

Just back from one of my locals as its fairly exposed they even put a clay pot full of charcoal under the table which was actually quite a welcome nice touch.

One bucket of ice lasted about an hour but my ale remained cold regardless so didn't need any after that so maybe the cold snap might hit the ice boys.....