Experiences with Thai wifes,

2008bangkok

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...My 10 Bahts worth, I've had my share of girl friends, long and short term, been married before to a English woman...What a joy to now be married to a bright, happy, proactive, independent Thai woman.

Thai, Japanese, English, American.......and so on....Women, it doesn't matter where she....or he is from, good and bad, happy and sad all live in the the same time and space.........If you're not happy with the one you're with........You won't change them.......Move on!

Sorry but to comment on another topic running now, something about 'what would I take with me if I left Thailand'............My wife. The best thing about Thailand for me.

• Like 1

My wife is from up north originally ,but she is hard working , reads writes and speaks English ,her education was not to a very high standard but she has worked at it all her life ,its just the way she is ,just like your wife is just the way she is ,men are the same ,my brother and sister are very well off ,hard workers ,never take time off ,i worked hard made money then did f all for a year or two each time while i enjoyed myself ,we are all different. thak goodness for that.

Education takes many forms, not just schooling. So she may not be formally well educated but I reckon she sounds like she has more than made up for it with life experience. Good one

• Like 1

I have a wonderful marriage to a lovely Issaan lady 19 years my junior (55/36).

There is a tendency to laziness and getting stuck on facebook either via PC or iPhone quite a lot during the day. Its not as bad as it was a couple of years ago when I threatened to leave if the FB addiction didn't stop. She would even be online chatting and posting pics of latte froth or lunch dishes when we were out and so I just told her straight one time to stop it as I found it extremely rude and annoying. She did comply thankfully. Same thing with in car travel it was constantly online all the time so I insisted she cancel G3 and that saved us about 800bht per month too.

Despite having an ultra modern western kitchen she still buys a lot or premade dinners from the market and from Rimping which I've been able to curtail a little after complaining of the excess spiciness and also not knowing how hygienically prepared these meals were.

On a couple of occasions I have had to take her aside and remind her that her job is not online and that that pastime usually ends up costing us money with all the doo-dads and extra unnecessary clothing and fashion/cosmetic items she likes to have.

I have found myself having to deal with her on occasions more like she is a teenager who's been assigned to looking after her younger siblings rather than that of a responsible wife and partner.

On the occasions I did that I found her then taking some initiative to clean the house or do some chores which I then praise her for and she seems really chuffed with herself. I get that she actually wants me to take charge and be the leader and that if I don't then she seems complacent about taking any real initiative.

I keep reminding myself of the cultural differences and that she is basically a simple and lovey genuine lady that has her heart in the right place and is virtuous and loyal and loves me to bits.

Gradually were making a lot of solid progress but its a matter of patience and gentle and respectable discipline and household order being maintained at a steady rate rather than ramming it down her throat and expecting miracles within a few months.

I think if you talk with your wife and get some agreement on priorities and mutual respect of lifestyle preferences and expectations then you will be OK. Otherwise its inevitable that a breakdown in the marriage would occur IMHO.

I understand fully what you are saying. It is like she has no ambition or desire to improve herself or her station in any way. I have found a high frequency of Thais have this syndrome.

Who are her friends and how do her friends spend their days? If her friends are a negative influence, a change of environment such as getting a job may help but otherwise I think you are stuck with somebody lower on the laziness - hard-working spectrum than you and it will always bug you.

• Like 1

I'd never tell you to leave your wife that's the desision you'll have to make on your own. Perhaps she suffers from depression? Perhaps you two are no longer compatible? It's not always greener on the other side, but I divorced my wife. It was the best thing I could have done. Life is very short no one gets younger! I'm 40 and on vacation in pattaya right now. Not that being a full time customer makes a man feel wonderful. However, it sure does beat sitting around the house getting fat and growing old in unhappiness!

• Like 1

Some people want to grow while living, others are happy only to live. My wife are educated but is still eager to learn which makes live very interesting. We travel together, cook together (she never cooked before we met), we play sport together, watch silly Thai soap operas together etc. Sometimes get in a rut and need a jerk to get them out of it.

I corresponded with my now wife for a year before coming to meet her . My wife has 2 bachelor degrees and is head teacher of a school .

My wife got my address from the letter of a neighbour whom I'd earlier met and corresponded with , she had stopped and her father then wrote to me .

My wife's sister is a high school English teacher who does all the translations and writes letters to foreign men for thai girls . I knew that my wife had her own home , education and a good job , two adult children already away from home . That said , I'm aquainted with women who do next to nothing and

aren't good mothers , either of babies , little childen or growing school children . Some families have the idea that children only have to go to school

and need never be asked to help around their home . There are many poor women in our village who could use some extra money . We have tried to find someone to do housework , mostly no one will do it and some we tried didn't know what to do . Thailand is full of pretty and sweet girls and women , but you have to know what they are good for , before taking them on .

@kikoman and @beachproperty looks like you guys have a great Mrs congratulations,

What i was referring to in terms of urban village life what i meant was we live in the city but she acts like she wants to live in the village, and without meaning to sound predjudice my experince of village people are hard working people but people who are happy to just to go from day to day no particulary house proud, things like that, but thats just my experience not the norm.

Nah, they just have lower standards (or maybe their girls really are different).

Your wife sounds pretty normal for Thai folk, do the least you can get away with then stop.

Mine isn't different, she's exactly the same as yours (and everyone else's).

My fault, I chose pretty but in an ornamental sort of way.

I know this is going to upset you but my wife is not the same as yours.

I have been married for 23 years - i have known her for over 26 years. More than half my lifetime.

My wife is loyal, hard working & takes pride in running the household. She is an excellent cook - both Thai & Western.

She works a full time job - Monday to Friday plus any overtime. There is no reason for her to work as my income is sufficient, but she as she says she want's to contribute.

Over the years I have met possibly close to 100+ Thai women married to foreigners. They have ranged from evil, conniving, scheming b*tches to delightful,friendly, hard working, loyal & tolerant. The husbands have also ranged from being complete a - holes to genuine decent people. Unfortunately on many occasions the mix & match has not been quite right.

You made a poor choice - you picked the wrong one. I didn't & many of my friends didn't either.

It's probably not a good idea to about Thai people based on your own pathetic & inadequate experiences.

• Like 1

My wife is pretty ambitious, but I've met a lot of good, honest people from up that way who simply believe that the life they have can't be changed or improved. Maybe it's a Buddhist thing, accept what you've got and hope for better the next time around. If it's been like that for 10 years already I doubt it's going to change. I don't think I could put up with it, If I was in your position I'd probably move on, for the sake of everyone including the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Snap!!!!!!!

This was like reading my life story.

similar situation. Married 10 years. She is now 32 I am a bit older though 46.

Now in UK. She does the absolute bare minimum. Cleaning socks. Just a wide around but never a decent job.

9 times out of ten I have to cook my own food when I get home. She doesn't teach the kids thai her day is constantly moaning get and cussing in Thai. Munga Buck bar nee mare and various other phrases. She spends 6 hours plus a day watching that TV on the Internet. Doo TV. .. worst thing ever. A friend off mine told me once they hit 30 then the start to go mad... well I have to agree with him.

Some of her phrases.

learn English for what I am thai.

One job one day.

teach children thai for what. They stay England now.

You want maid or you want f@#. (I wouldn't mind but I don't get that either)

Doesn't want to help kids with home work. ( I am out 12 hours a day working to pay for her expensive airfreight vegetables from Thailand)

I have seen/heard your same scenario a few times. Guys think taking their partner to a different land, money etc will be heaven. Noooooooooooooo.

Guys must really think about stuff. The honey moon period really doesn't last that long. Many guys are lucky, but many are not......sad.png

Snap!!!!!!!

Now in UK. She does the absolute bare minimum. Cleaning socks. Just a wide around but never a decent job.

9 times out of ten I have to cook my own food when I get home. She doesn't teach the kids thai her day is constantly moaning get and cussing in Thai. Munga Buck bar nee mare and various other phrases. She spends 6 hours plus a day watching that TV on the Internet. Doo TV. .. worst thing ever. A friend off mine told me once they hit 30 then the start to go mad... well I have to agree with him.

Some of her phrases.

One job one day.

Doesn't want to help kids with home work. ( I am out 12 hours a day working to pay for her expensive airfreight vegetables from Thailand)

I have seen/heard your same scenario a few times. Guys think taking their partner to a different land, money etc will be heaven. Noooooooooooooo.

Guys must really think about stuff. The honey moon period really doesn't last that long. Many guys are lucky, but many are not......sad.png

Stupid people making stupid decisions - not confined to Thailand.

• Like 2

My wife....Born in Isaan province, cool girl, organized, ambitious, gorgeous, fun, great sense of humour, loves travel, invests on the stock market, whinges when I drink, can't cook and budgets down to the last baht. In my eyes the best person in the world and my best friend.

Thanks for writing my post for me.

• Like 1

Snap!!!!!!!

Some of her phrases.

One job one day.

Stupid people making stupid decisions - not confined to Thailand.

You are correct, but being involved with a partner from a different culture, beliefs, family ties are another string in that bow to take into consideration.

My wife is great, she did the work of two men when we were building our house, from cement mixing to wheeling a barrow full of rocks day after day (as i did myself). She takes care of the house and myself every day without a word of complaint but the most beautiful thing of all happened today....she bought flowers for the car and prayed in front of it in the manner they do, flowers for the Buddha altar and prayed there too ....and last but not least and to my great surprise ....flowers for myself for "Good Husband take care Khun (her name)"

I think it was the most beautiful gift i have received. I am not a wealthy man but i give her some money every month to spend on herself and send 2000 Baht home to her Mam. She has offered to return to work but I tell her it is not necessary yet, I just enjoy her company around the house.

PS. In case your wondering ...No, she did not pray to me after the car and the Buddha....but I'm working on that 5 5 5.

So she doesn't have a job and you pay her to be your wife?

Doesn't sound all that hard working to me.

• Like 1

My wife....Born in Isaan province, cool girl, organized, ambitious, gorgeous, fun, great sense of humour, loves travel, invests on the stock market, whinges when I drink, can't cook and budgets down to the last baht. In my eyes the best person in the world and my best friend.

Thanks for writing my post for me.

You mean you are talking about the same girl?

Very cosy!

I have a Thai wife 40 years younger than me and she was the hottest girl in Baby Go-Go, I have a wonderful life with her and her friends.

Nice, hottest go go girl 40 years younger and her friends.

You may want to consider an implanted automatic defibrillator.

take a family holiday somewhere you just need a little change for a while.

I second that. It works for my wife who gets excited about long weekend holidays to the ocean. For both her and I, but more so something special for the kids... Kind of gives life back to a connection we share.

I've read it mentioned elsewhere in TV, that your suggestions/ideas/comments are invalid to Thais however right you might be, and will not be considered until after much of their own reflection and thinking. Ultimately coming to the conclusion you offered but has somehow become their own!

Precisely why that is I don't know, but I did once confront her that that is what she did, and she just looked at me stunned and said, "yes, correct."!!

Maybe let her know there's an opportunity for a family holiday, make suggestions, and ask her to get back to you for her plan?

As for me, married 8 years with wife who is the same age, and we have 2 young kids together also.

She comes from the most loving and really generous family, and neither of us are perfect but I'd say we do our best for each other.

My biggest issues would be she's only once put to paper a budget, the rest is in her head, and she often answers a question with a question. It can drive me up the wall sometimes, but then I send her up the wall in my own way too....

Good luck with making that connection with your wife.

E.