Singaporean tourists drop Bangkok, head to Phuket instead – report

Lite Beer

Airports of Thailand executives have called an urgent meeting following reports that Singapore Airlines will cancel 19 flights to Bangkok from mid-January to late February due to the political turmoil in the capital.

Suvarnabhumi airport general manager Rawewan Netrakavesna said airport executives would meet on Sunday to discuss the impact of the anti-government protests, which will be escalated following the People's Democratic Reform Committee's "Bangkok Shutdown", led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban, on Jan 13.

Ms Rawewan said airport executives would then meet representatives of the Association of Thai Travel Agents and airline operators tomorrow to assess the situation and prepare necessary measures to deal with unexpected incidents and impacts from the demonstrations.

The airport chief said she could not confirm the report that Singapore Airlines will cancel flights.

"At this point in time, no airlines have informed the airport about any flight cancellations," she said. Singapore's Straits Times newspaper said on Saturday that the national carrier would cancel 19 flights to Bangkok from Jan 14 to Feb 25.

The airline will put affected passengers on other flights or offer refunds if they cancel their trips, airline spokesman Nicholas Ionides was quoted by the paper as saying.

Singapore Airlines normally has five daily flights to Bangkok.

The unrest has also been affecting travellers from Singapore who decided to switch their destinations from Bangkok to other destinations in Thailand, including Phuket, the Straits Times said, citing travel agents.

The Association of Domestic Travel expressed concerns over the political situation.

Association president Yuthachai Sunthornrattanavech said the anti-government protests have affected tourism operators' plans.

"About 100,000 tourists who plan to travel to Thailand in January are bearing the brunt of the protests," he said.

In its assessment of the country's tourism in 2013-14, the Tourism Council of Thailand said the number of visitors from China and Russia – Thailand's two biggest markets – has dropped by 25-30 per cent, mainly in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Cha-am, the Thai News Agency reported.

More than 50 countries have issued travel advisories to their citizens, suggesting they not go near demonstration sites.

The Federation of Thai Industries and the Thai Chamber of Commerce have voiced concern over the economic impact of the protests, saying the protests should be limited to specific areas.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/singaporean-tourists-drop-bangkok-head-to-phuket-instead-report-43837.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-05

Civil Aviation Department denies any flight cancellation to Thailand

com04-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Civil Aviation Department has not received a single notification from any airlines about their cancellation of flights to Thailand because of the tense political standoff.

Mr Woradej Harnprasert, director-general of Civil Aviation Department, said Saturday that the department had not been notified of flights cancellation to Thailand of any airlines, including Singapore Airline, during January 14-February 25 because of the political conflict.

As a standard procedure, he explained that the airlines must notify the Civil Aviation Department in advance about their flight schedules as well as their cancellation of flights. He said that the department was investigating whether the report that Singapore Airline was to cancel its flights to Thailand was real or just a rumour.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/civil-aviation-department-denies-flight-cancellation-thailand/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=civil-aviation-department-denies-flight-cancellation-thailand

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-05

Taxi mafia send flowers, a "Thank You" card and words of encouragement to Suthep, along with a cryptic poem about the first tap of the tree-- another report.

Edited by impulse

Well there have been a lot of false press releases lately aimed at making the protests look evil. Such as the capturing of a protester guard in possession with a police gun allegedly stolen on 26th Dec.

Wonder who would resort to such propaganda tactics? whistling.gif

Edited by BSPolice
  • Like 1

Well there have been a lot of false press releases lately aimed at making the protests look evil. Such as the capturing of a protester guard in possession with a police gun allegedly stolen on 26th Dec.

Wonder who would resort to such propaganda tactics? whistling.gif

Suthep

• Like 2

Its funny, I have gone to Thailand since 1998, at least twice a year, but have never stayed in Bangkok. This was only because my perception was Bangkok was nothing more than a western city. I love Thailand, it's culture and people and I just got the impression I would not find that in Bangkok.

• Like 1

My original flight arriving the 15th was cancelled (Narita-BKK) a couple of days ago.

They didn't specify why, just moved to another flight.

My brother has passes to fly standby..tons of empty seats..much more than usual. He's happy..free first class seats.

Its funny, I have gone to Thailand since 1998, at least twice a year, but have never stayed in Bangkok. This was only because my perception was Bangkok was nothing more than a western city. I love Thailand, it's culture and people and I just got the impression I would not find that in Bangkok.

Bangkok is overrated. Apart from the sex zones there's really not much else that's so special about it compared to any other city in Thailand or the rest of the region. If you want temples, try any other city in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar - you'll also get there more quickly since you don't have to battle such bad traffic like you would have to battle in Bangkok.

Shopping in Bangkok is great, but with central department stores opening shopping centers in major cities around the country, I don't see any good reason to come to Bangkok especially for shopping when you can do exactly the same thing in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket and even Lampang, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Phitsanulok, Udon Thani and other cities which now have central department stores. As for markets, all these cities have markets including night markets much like Bangkok.

Bangkok is overrated. Apart from the sex zones there's really not much else that's so special about it compared to any other city in Thailand or the rest of the region. If you want temples, try any other city in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar - you'll also get there more quickly since you don't have to battle such bad traffic like you would have to battle in Bangkok.

Shopping in Bangkok is great, but with central department stores opening shopping centers in major cities around the country, I don't see any good reason to come to Bangkok especially for shopping when you can do exactly the same thing in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket and even Lampang, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Phitsanulok, Udon Thani and other cities which now have central department stores. As for markets, all these cities have markets including night markets much like Bangkok.

Bangkok is overrated.. never heard that one. I can't think of another city with so much on offer.

Edited by fish fingers
  • Like 1

You find the culture and people in Bangkok,,it's just a little different from other parts of thailand. The same applies worldwide.

Do you want little villages .........? Then go there and enjoy. Bangkok is more westernised but it is still thailand