Isaan PDRC supporters add spice: Lat Phrao Intersection

webfact

LAT PHRAO RALLY SITE
Isaan PDRC supporters add spice

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation

30224313-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Som Tam (papaya salad) with pickled fish is the most popular dish at the anti-government protesters' stage set up at Lat Phrao Intersection.

Issara Somchai hosted the crowd there yesterday. They come mostly from the Northeast and some from the north, commonly thought of as the red-shirt base, and now occupy this Lat Phrao stage area.

There are about 10 kitchens to support these protesters from the northeast - so the main dishes are cucumber salad, traditional papaya salad or with salted crab or pickled fish.

Other foods on offer are "kaeng om" bitter curry, fermented fish condiment and fried cow-peas with red curry paste.

Nawamongkol Koosakul, a protester from Udon Thani, said on stage that red-shirt leader Kwanchai Sarakham had claimed Udon Thani is the capital city of the red-shirt movement. But this isn't true, he said, because Udon Thani does not just have a red-shirt organisation, there is another group too.

He told The Nation that the PDRC in Udon Thani had been threatened by the red shirts every time it held a rally. So the PDRC always informed the police and asked them to keep the peace among the protesters.

Now these Udon Thani protesters have come to the Bangkok rally site in a fleet of five buses, personal cars and by plane.

Nawamongkol added that when the Udon Thani people arrived and joined the protest at Lat Phrao, they set up a kitchen.

"An army marches on its stomach - so we want to set up the Udon Thani kitchen for all protesters who join in the rally," he said.

The Udon Kitchen - as it's called - prepares ingredients from their province.

Similarly, the female cook at the Buri Ram kitchen, Arunsawas Saengphet, said she prepares ingredients from Buri Ram including papaya and pickled fish. As she prepared her papaya salad, she told how this kitchen had 20 cooks to provide food for the protesters. And on Monday she started cooking at 5am.

Signature dishes

Even though they prepared numerous ingredients from their hometown, the pickled fish was all gone by noon.

Another female cook confirmed that northeastern people like to eat papaya salad and it was the signature for the kitchen.

She also resisted the idea that the Northeast was the main base of the red shirts. "Today Isaan people have woken up and we do not believe our region is the hometown of the red shirts," she said.

A female government officer from Khon Kaen, she said she flew to Bangkok on Saturday and would return to her hometown Monday night.

She said she hoped to see the reform of Thailand and education was the most important thing she wanted to see changed.

Thai people should know their rights, she said, but today's government covers the people's eyes and ears and keeps the benefits for themselves.

She said that at the PDRC rally at Khon Kaen, red shirts often threatened PDRC protesters. Whenever PDRC Khon Kaen plans a parade, the red shirts hold a rally too, so the PDRC protesters must change their march route to avoid a conflict.

Kaewalin Tangbenjapon, a protester from Sukhothai province, said she supported reform before an election because today Thailand was faced with more corruption.

Moreover, if the snap election on February 2 goes ahead, there will not be enough MPs to open a House session.

She added she would stay with the anti-government protesters until the country had been reformed.

"[That's] the best way to solve the political situation, by reforming the country," she said.

The People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) gathering at Lat Phrao intersection was one of seven main stages and the crowd numbers increased all day.

On stage and addressing the crowd were protesters from the Isaan provinces and artists such as Aod Kiriboon, Tono Pakin Kumwilaisuk, Taengmo Pathida and Yong Lookyee.

And for some of the time on stage, artists from the Northeast demonstrated to their friends in Bangkok their style of singing.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-15

• Like 1

Almost unbelievable what Issaan people say and do for 2,000 Baht.

2,000 Baht is what the PDRC is paying all the people from Issaan to join the protests.

Almost unbelievable what red shirts say and do for 2000baht

2000 baht is what the UDD is paying all the people from issan to join the counter protests. whoops, hope you see where this is leading.No facts just crap.

• Like 1

Good to see the poor people of Isaan are represented, especially one as dedicated to the cause as this lady

She also resisted the idea that the Northeast was the main base of the red shirts. "Today Isaan people have woken up and we do not believe our region is the hometown of the red shirts," she said.
A female government officer from Khon Kaen, she said she flew to Bangkok on Saturday and would return to her hometown Monday night.
  • Like 1

2,000 Baht is what the PDRC is paying all the people from Issaan to join the protests.

Of course you can substantiate this claim, can't you?

Nah- didn't think so.

• Like 2

I would sooner listen to the opinions of real people from Isaan - as I do every day.

Listening to you and you gangrenous views is quite nauseating.

If you have some proof of this - then feel free to post it

If not, then kindly stick to the facts

• Like 2

Good to see the poor people of Isaan are represented, especially one as dedicated to the cause as this lady

Does the term "government officer" somehow indicate to you that she is part of the fabulously wealthy elite?

• Like 1

Mu Issan wife and her friend are in Gkk protesting for a better Issan

Get rid of Taskinites and put in a party that represents Issan not their own greed

They are not Yellow shirt supporters and all wear Pink

The PTP say they follow the great dem leader

ha ha

once Thaskin is gone their protest will turn to getting a better government for Issan and Thailand

and sadly for me

non are being paid

• Like 2

Of course you can substantiate this claim, can't you?

Nah- didn't think so.

My Thai wife who is from issan has offered every farlang who say their wife are being paid to protest, the chance for her to say this to her on skype or the phone

Or even why she is allowing her man to say bad things about Thai people

So far after 24 hrs

she has not had one l Thai lady to say something

Now Farlangs on this web site wuuld not be telling lies would they ????

2000 is about 20 USD...so $140 for a week in the city, food included, transport as well. Could do worse...

4000 is about 40USD...so$280 for a week in the city,food included,transport as well.could do worse...and what is the point?

I wonder how many went by plane?

I have to say I am certain some people have been paid to attend, that is just the way these events are organised here. A couple my wife knows in Khon Kaen attended the Yellow shirt protest at the airport for B500 per day plus travel and food, and the girl got B500 from the reds in 2010, while the boy got 1,000 per day as he was prepared to get involved in violence. They are both Red supporters but money talks, especially when you are being offered considerably more than the minimum wage.

"She said she hoped to see the reform of Thailand and education was the most important thing she wanted to see changed."

Why didn't she tell the DEM when they went around the country criticizing the Government reform initiatives? Reform initiatives were called before the amnesty bill and chartered amendment bill were passed by the parliament. BTW, TRT government started the education reform but accused as a populist policy.

Why now? Does she has any evidence that " today's government covers the people's eyes and ears and keeps the benefits for themselves." The truth is that the DEM's PDRC objective is seizing power so that they can whitewashed their corruption and irregularity cases discovered by the present government. They are the one that is covering the people's eyes and ears and keeps the benefits for themselves. That reminds me of what Chuwit the former massage parlor king said about DEM's PDRC - their activities are only for the benefits of their own families.

• Like 1

2000 is about 20 USD...so $140 for a week in the city, food included, transport as well. Could do worse...

4000 is about 40USD...so$280 for a week in the city,food included,transport as well.could do worse...and what is the point?

8000 is about 280 USD a week, so I not have to give her any money

Come on protest leaders please give this to my wife

I can only dream

all money come for farlang

I think the 2000 baht a day was from farlang who are used to paying for sex and bar fine every day

guess we all make mistakes

• Like 1

This is a very moving and revealing article. We sometimes forget the human element, at the grassroots level. These are real people. And they have traveled from Isaan, even from places like Udon Thani, to come to Bangkok. Coming from such a vantage point takes a lot of commitment and belief in the cause. I was glad a woman mentioned education as being key, because it's really at the root of the corruption problem. If the public is not educated, they are more apt to have the wool pulled over their eyes and be in awe of trinkets. One party has a vested interest in keeping them uneducated, while another has a vested interest in an educated populace. The recent story about the rebellion among the rice farmers in a case in point. They're finally catching on. Not a good development for Thaksin. Indeed, there is organized support for this movement in Udon Thani - the first of the so-called " red villages " - which is a concept that not only is shockingly insulting to those who live there who do not share that point of view, not only as an intentional tool and wedge between people in the same country, but a step towards a uniform system of conformity, as was experienced in China beginning in the 1940s. These people who show up to Lat Phrao don't want that. They want a Thailand where everyone is respected. Where no one is told their voice cannot be heard.

• Like 2

I wonder how many went by plane?

I have to say I am certain some people have been paid to attend, that is just the way these events are organised here. A couple my wife knows in Khon Kaen attended the Yellow shirt protest at the airport for B500 per day plus travel and food, and the girl got B500 from the reds in 2010, while the boy got 1,000 per day as he was prepared to get involved in violence. They are both Red supporters but money talks, especially when you are being offered considerably more than the minimum wage.

so your logic is they would be happy to work in a bar at 3000 a night

guess you are right

but some thai ladies are above all that type of thing

guess it all depends where you met them

• Like 1

"She said she hoped to see the reform of Thailand and education was the most important thing she wanted to see changed."

Why didn't she tell the DEM when they went around the country criticizing the Government reform initiatives? Reform initiatives were called before the amnesty bill and chartered amendment bill were passed by the parliament. BTW, TRT government started the education reform but accused as a populist policy.

Why now? Does she has any evidence that " today's government covers the people's eyes and ears and keeps the benefits for themselves." The truth is that the DEM's PDRC objective is seizing power so that they can whitewashed their corruption and irregularity cases discovered by the present government. They are the one that is covering the people's eyes and ears and keeps the benefits for themselves. That reminds me of what Chuwit the former massage parlor king said about DEM's PDRC - their activities are only for the benefits of their own families.

The Dems in their time in office started education reform by increasing the age of free education, they had a reform package for education on the table when PT took over.

PT scrapped this in favor tablets.

I am sure the lady has ample evidence of corruption and self serving by PTP, if she didn't then she would not be there.

If the Dems had wanted to cover up corruption would they have voted against the amnesty bill which would have whitewashed over 25,000 cases of corruption that are now before the NACC which they have said were mostly against senior politicians?

Your last sentence describes PT activities in the last 2 years perfectly.

Show us your proof.

Or did your red short pals tell you?

Or maybe your wife's cousin's aunty's sister's brother's wife's uncle?

• Like 1