Court approves arrest warrant for Victory Monument grenade suspect

webfact

Court approves arrest warrant for Victory Monument grenade suspect
By Digital Content

13902140555765.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 20 - Thailand's Criminal Court on Monday approved an arrest warrant for a suspect in Sunday's grenade attack at the Victory Monument protest site.

The suspect, who was captured on CCTV footage, was charged with offences including illegal possessing of explosive devices, causing an explosion that endangered others, attempting to kill and violating Internal Security Act (ISA).

The photos, released by police, were from CCTV footage at a coffee shop near the Victory Monument rally site of the the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

The explosion injured 28 persons including a journalist from Thai-language Post Today newspaper.

The suspect in the footage was about 30 years old, wearing a black baseball cap, a light-coloured jacket, white pants and he was carrying a black shoulder bag.

National Police deputy commissioner Pol Gen Ake Angsananond said he was confident the police could find the suspect although there was no confirmation what group was behind the bomb attack.

He said the explosive device the bomber used was a GRD5, the same type used at Banthat Thong on Friday that killed a protester and wounded 38 others.

They were the same type police seized in Bang Na last week, he said.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul who concurrently directs the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) told reporters after the meeting that the assailants behind the Banthat Thong and the Victory Monument incidents were the same group.

He said the National Police Bureau has set a Bt200,000 bounty for the arrest of the Victory Monument bombing suspect.

Mr Surapong conceded the possibility that if the violent attacks have intensified, the caretaker government may consider invoke the emergency decree to control the situation.

He said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has expressed worry over rising number of incidents of violence and ordered CAPO to tighten security measures and arrest the assailants.

Pol Maj Gen Adul Narongsak, the city deputy police commissioner said according to the CCTV imges, the assailant was considered a skilled bomber and well prepared to escape the scene. He was also well trained in shooting as he fired a handgun at those who followed him to escape arrest.

Meanwhile, Thida Thavornseth, chairwoman of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) also known as the Red Shirts, said the PDRC has failed in its Bangkok Shutdown attempt.

She said the campaign by PDRC secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban has run for seven consecutive days and he could not totally shutdown Bangkok as planned.

The MRT underground train and BTS Skytrain are operating, serving Bangkok residents as usual, she said.

She said that the reverse effects by Bangkok residents who were dissatisfied with the impact of the Shutdown were increasing. Fewer supporters could be noticed at the stages of the seven protest sites around Bangkok.

However, the UDD chairwoman said she believed that Mr Suthep would not give up as he has targeted stopping the Feb 2 election and wanted a coup to take place. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-20

If they have an arrest warrant does that mean they have a name for the suspect too?

I ask myself the same question after reading these articles. The way they name everyone else, why wouldn't they name the suspect?

They wouldn't just issue an arrest warrant without a name, right? or else why not do it the first day?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

" Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul who concurrently directs the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) told reporters after the meeting that the assailants behind the Banthat Thong and the Victory Monument incidents were the same group. "

Isn't it amazing that the country's foremost expert at personally delivering passports to people convicted of corruption has now the power to tell all law-abiding citizens everywhere he knows exactly who the perpetrators are. Not only that, but that he sees it as an opportunity to at long last get the military backing he wants, and give his questionable authority the might of a gun he always wanted.

He doesn't say he knows exactly who the perpretrators are. He says they're the same group and that much seems pretty obvious.

• Like 1

is thida an idiot or what, since when was the protest attempting to shut down the public transport system, they were blocking intersections so unless tranis now go down the middle of the road she is just a bit off. Maybe the reds would do it as they dont give a sh*t about the public or what they want, but suthep never planned to, what a loser that woman is, she just wants her name in the news againblink.png .

It was rather feeble to even make that comment, I think it shows her frustrations! Nothing is working for the red shirts, who are loosing their power base, the rice farmers.

• Like 2

It was rather feeble to even make that comment, I think it shows her frustrations! Nothing is working for the red shirts, who are loosing their power base, the rice farmers.

Yes I am sure the rice farmers will blame the government for not getting permission from EC to pay them. Keep dreaming.

" Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul who concurrently directs the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) told reporters after the meeting that the assailants behind the Banthat Thong and the Victory Monument incidents were the same group. "

Isn't it amazing that the country's foremost expert at personally delivering passports to people convicted of corruption has now the power to tell all law-abiding citizens everywhere he knows exactly who the perpetrators are. Not only that, but that he sees it as an opportunity to at long last get the military backing he wants, and give his questionable authority the might of a gun he always wanted.

" Meanwhile, Thida Thavornseth ... said the PDRC has failed in its Bangkok Shutdown attempt. She said the campaign by PDRC secretary general Suthep Thaugsuban has run for seven consecutive days and he could not totally shutdown Bangkok as planned.The MRT underground train and BTS Skytrain are operating, serving Bangkok residents as usual, she said. Fewer supporters could be noticed at the stages of the seven protest sites around Bangkok. "

Thida pinocchio fact-check :

In 2010 the red shirts occupation of Ratchaprason was supposed to bring down the administration in one week as well. The MRT and BTS Skytrain were never targeted by the PDRC. However, in 2010, the BTS was the object of a bomb attack where one woman was killed. In 2010, the supporters at Ratchaprason also dwindled -

( or from Thida's point of view - from a majority of 100,000 to a majority of 3,000. )

Wasn't what Thida said as reported the reality? what has what he said got to do with 2010? Egos must be hurting.

• Like 1

I suppose as soon as they have nabbed him, Khaosod will be running a story to the tune of 'bomber admits paid 100,00 baht by PDRC to bomb stage'.

They will name police officers by name who don't exist, and relay word for word statements from the officers that equally do not exist. They will be the only ones running the report as usual.

Now gentlemen.... what am I bet?

Considering that Khaosod is the darling of Thaksin and Yingluck, one could only draw the conclusion that they are actually paid for each fake report by the same. I doubt they do it off their own back, they will want something for it. Making up news in a highly defaming manner has got to be pretty illegal even here in Thailand.

A government made up of people willing to pay off media to print defamatory lies, tells me that this government is also capable of paying to have these attacks done in the first place.

• Like 1

Yes I am sure the rice farmers will blame the government for not getting permission from EC to pay them. Keep dreaming.

Can't blame the EC for delays in payments that were due in October.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

If you knew what you were talking about, Which you don't. Maybe, Just maybe you would not make a fool of yourself even anonymously!

• Like 1

is thida an idiot or what, since when was the protest attempting to shut down the public transport system, they were blocking intersections so unless tranis now go down the middle of the road she is just a bit off. Maybe the reds would do it as they dont give a sh*t about the public or what they want, but suthep never planned to, what a loser that woman is, she just wants her name in the news againblink.png .

you obviously do not understand how the Thai mind works - what she said is challenging Suthep to do it with out saying "do it"!

She is actually very clever the challenge is out now and she knows if he does it - a lot more of Bangkokians will be very upset about the demonstrators!

She is actually very clever the challenge is out now and she knows if he does it - a lot more of Bangkokians will be very upset about the demonstrators!

"a lot more of Bangkokians will be very upset upset with the demonstrators"

Not possible!! Because according to Suthep the numbers supporting his "revolution" are bigger than the number of people living in Bangkok!!whistling.gif

• Like 1

Nothing beats a TV-posters inside deep analysis of the Thai political situation!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Typical rant by a yellow. Trying to direct the thread away from the main topic. If you had accused the Thaksinistas of perpetrating this atrocious act then thats acceptable (on your planet anyway)

I suppose as soon as they have nabbed him, Khaosod will be running a story to the tune of 'bomber admits paid 100,00 baht by PDRC to bomb stage'.

They will name police officers by name who don't exist, and relay word for word statements from the officers that equally do not exist. They will be the only ones running the report as usual.

Now gentlemen.... what am I bet?

Considering that Khaosod is the darling of Thaksin and Yingluck, one could only draw the conclusion that they are actually paid for each fake report by the same. I doubt they do it off their own back, they will want something for it. Making up news in a highly defaming manner has got to be pretty illegal even here in Thailand.

A government made up of people willing to pay off media to print defamatory lies, tells me that this government is also capable of paying to have these attacks done in the first place.

You are running scared with that rant. Its full of diddly squat and readers here should not confuse fact with agenda. Lets wait until the suspect is apprehended and lets see whose side he is on. Then rant like a looney and lace your post with "...Thaksin is the bogeyman"

• Like 1