Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

The Royal Thai Army has the biggest opportunity ever to advance the cause of Thailand by bringing these protests to an end without a coup. Thai people have to learn that democracy means accepting the results of an election no matter how much you may dislike the person(s) elected. Have elections and vote! Let the will of the majority be shown for all to see.

Richard Nixon won a presumably relatively democratic election and then proceeded to abuse his terms and power of office, and thus was removed. He certainly wasn't allowed to run for President again. Sorry to say but the criminal in Dubai has no right anymore to run the country, and any election which allows he and his proxies to do so is nothing but another sham. Before they have another election they need to clean house, put the criminals in jail, make some laws about who can run, and maybe then there can be even the remotest possibility to end all this.

All those going on about no democracy need to take a look at the leader of this supposed democracy...about as far removed from the term as anyone could be.

.....and so say all of us - well the sensible elements anyway.

Good post that!!!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Praying for Peace. It is the common folk who will suffer, the scoundrels stay above the fray.

That's the status quo I'm afraid - all the praying in the world won't change it. The only thing that would, is Yingluck stepping down and walking away!!

Peace will happen (south more difficult). Not a hope of YL walking but she may well reach out with olive branch to interesting and "good people" to try to move on from this poisonous atmosphere. I think she will and if it works, great for Thailand. The alternative is too awful to contemplate...ongoing chaos, poor policy directed at vested interest, regional politics, same old cronies of both colours. Meanwhile Vietnam sails past, then Burma.

She needs a reconciliation plan, with reform...in the works.

• Like 1

Not to spur things on, but did anyone notice something quietly important that is related to the decree and the unrest? In late February, Thailand is going digital, and the televisions of a great many people will suddenly not work anymore without a digital converter. They will be given coupons, a few, but the majority of the people will essentially be cut off from the debate.

I think that the issue is not being discussed is chilling, in light of the decree. Taken by itself in discussion, it seems unrelated, but it is not. How can uninformed voters vote? How can uninformed protesters protest?

On the surface, it seems like a minor issue, but it isn't.

It is not minor at all. It is the worst kind of profiteering being implemented at a very crucial time, and seems thoughtless at best.

Suthep never had any intention, like Thaksin, of cleaning up corruption if he got to power because he would , like Thaksin be one of the biggest losers. A few simple changes would start the ball rolling

1. Remove impunity from Mp's in Office

2. Reduce the fines payable for libel and slander by 99.999% of their current levels

3. Abolish 112 and replace it with something internationally acceptable

Just doing these three things will remove the fence that has allowed too many criminals to go about their business( or illegal activities) in all walks of Thai Life...on both sides

Not to spur things on, but did anyone notice something quietly important that is related to the decree and the unrest? In late February, Thailand is going digital, and the televisions of a great many people will suddenly not work anymore without a digital converter. They will be given coupons, a few, but the majority of the people will essentially be cut off from the debate.

I think that the issue is not being discussed is chilling, in light of the decree. Taken by itself in discussion, it seems unrelated, but it is not. How can uninformed voters vote? How can uninformed protesters protest?

On the surface, it seems like a minor issue, but it isn't.

It is not minor at all. It is the worst kind of profiteering being implemented at a very crucial time, and seems thoughtless at best.

Going digital doesn't mean that analogue is shut down. They can run side by side for years.

I hae to ask 2 questions.

1. Where is YINGLUCK ? In any other country even North Korea it would be the head of state tht would make this announcement and explain it to the people.

2. Without the ususal TV sarcasm and BS can someone that was here the last time please explain what we can expect. I live in Pathum Thani so figure that it willnly affect me when I go to BKK>

At the same stage in 2010, it was not Abhisit that called the shots. That was when Suthep "said" and they had this army posterboy officers getting the middle class women turned on.

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

just phoned the wife and told her you said she was a terrorist for peacefully protesting ...thumbsup.gif ans...loud laughter,and then how old is he......

I take it your wife did not the the see the savage attack on a Bangkok taxi driver 2 weeks ago or the assault which hospitalized the two policemen or the brutal assault which left a journalist from The Nation unconscious. I assume the random attacks on street vendors has also gone unnoticed.

Next time you phone your wife tell her to take of her yellow tinted glasses and open her eyes. She might get a surprise.

Did you see it? Do you know with absolute certainty all of the facts?

you might get a surprise!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There was a youtube link here on TV of the beating of the taxi-guy. Look at that and u wanna puke on the yellow thugs.

If the [snip] Chalerm is in charge of implementing this state of emergency, I am pretty

sure things are not going to go well....

Chalerm's views of a state of emergency is if he can't get just one more drink in before the bar closes!!!

• Like 1

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

You may wish to re-visit the definition of "terrorist" and try again...........

Well, here's the Chambers version

terrorism noun the systematic and organized use of violence and intimidation to force a government or community, etc to act in a certain way or accept certain demands.

Suthep never had any intention, like Thaksin, of cleaning up corruption if he got to power because he would , like Thaksin be one of the biggest losers. A few simple changes would start the ball rolling

2. Reduce the fines payable for libel and slander by 99.999% of their current levels

Just doing these three things will remove the fence that has allowed too many criminals to go about their business( or illegal activities) in all walks of Thai Life...on both sides

I don't necessarily agree with number 1, particularly for Thailand where it's quite easy for politically motivated charges to be issued.

Number 2 should be: Having to prove something is False for someone to be guilty, not allowing charges/convictions if it IS true. If someone is spreading lies, then they should get appropriate fines/jail sentences.

Agree with number 3. It should be easily covered by (my) number 2.

So nothing really changes. Suthep will still roam the streets up to the moment he walks alone (or heart stops beating). Police will stand around doing what they normally do. And the army will be exactly where they are now, in the background.

One important change however is that suspects can be kept for 30 days. So if Suthep for some reason do get arrested, he will not be able to get bail for 30 days.

The more worrying news was that Suthep threatens to stop air traffic. Something he a few days ago said they would never do.

. terrorize - coerce by violence or with threats

coerce, force, hale, pressure, squeeze - to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a job in the city"; "He squeezed her for information"
You see , some people here reading terrorist think about bombing, shooting etc... but you can also terrorize people, countries, etc... by moral or intellectual means ... but I assume you know better.
Edited by ikke

Thaksin - thoroughly disliked by many, tolerated by an equal number.

Yingluck - as thick as a mud milkshake.

Suthep - typical corrupt politician and as loopy as a fruit rhino.

Chalerm - barking mad and absolutely the worst person in the world to trust with anything.

Seasoned script writers couldn't dream up such a set of dysfunctional characters if they tried.

You forgot 'foreigner'

- knows it all, looks down on natives (especially women), sees everything as black and white (red/yellow),

- becomes an expert in complicated situations just by reading a single news report, and then predicts the outcome,

- uses (over and over again) the same questionable details, from past events, for all debates,

- loves emoticons, prefers large blocks of text to paragraphs, too lazy to use spell check, thinks critical thinking is an app,

- etc...

• Like 2

Just read that the EC has told the government that it is not in their power to allow them to borrow the 130 billion baht it so desperately needs to quell it's farmers. They added, it's up to you whether you do this or not but don't blame us if you are deemed to have violated the constitution!!!

A case of do we or don't we, or, can we afford to or (not) afford to.

It's a shame that Yingluck doesn't do decisions!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Let the games begin.

again we see how small minded the red brigade in here are with garbage posts like thism sounds like you want to see blood. Just remember that this time yl and co will be the ones responsible for any deaths in their bid to get her criminal brother back to Thailand and to continue the corruption. Thius isnt about suthep, its about the people of Thailand, they deserve to have a corruption free govt and not have all the countries money put into the ptp's personal bank accounts but being a red you are peobably on the pat list too, pathetic.

And this isn't just about Suthep or Thaksin, it's about the rule of law. But, then given your post above I'm guessing you are all in favour of elections, since it's "about the people of Thailand". Or is it just about some of the people of Thailand? Because if it was about all of them, you'd be keen to let their voices be heard, no?

Well I for one would like to hear their voice. Not the one that they are paid to use. I realize that education is a problematic event in Thailand. But I am sure there are many who do think different than what they are paid to say. That goes for who ever pays them.

It would be nice to see a government in power because of the policies they have for Thailand rather than the one with the most money.

Might be time to go to the dictionary and learn what a terrorist is. Very poor comparison IMHO.

• Like 1

Just read that the EC has told the government that it is not in their power to allow them to borrow the 130 billion baht it so desperately needs to quell it's farmers. They added, it's up to you whether you do this or not but don't blame us if you are deemed to have violated the constitution!!!

Heard a rumor that if the BOT lends it to them the union will protest. Not sure what all it was about as didn't have time.

I'm torn on this one. I've never figured out how a group can simply move into the busiest intersections of a capital city without any resistance from the police, army, etc. Yet, since they moved in, it's been quieter and traffic at Asok has never been better.

That's because the police are not snarling up the traffic with impromptu traffic light dances and dodgy tickets.

Or maybe because all the protesters are car-owners who bought their cars through the promotional car buying scheme (brought about by the floods and the risk of the Japanese moving their manufacturing car plants out of Thailand – a scheme brought in by Yingluck’s party) have left their cars at home to go and sleep in tents, blow whistles, and do some shopping for the last few weeks. Just a thought.

coerce, force, hale, pressure, squeeze - to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :"She forced him to take a job in the city"; "He squeezed her for information"
You see , some people here reading terrorist think about bombing, shooting etc... but you can also terrorize people, countries, etc... by moral or intellectual means ... but I assume you know better.

So the terrorist has - had to necessarily coerce her to take early retirement basing his reasoning for her to do this on intellectual means.

What a cad!!

Heard a rumor that if the BOT lends it to them the union will protest. Not sure what all it was about as didn't have time.

It seems that whatever bank they approach the unions will cry foul and prevent the bank from lending anything to this impoverished government.

What must it be like to have no friends who can spare a bob or two!!

It has many meanings depends on the context it is in. I think the poster OP on this post was referring to violence.

strange that the BBC has had very little coverage so far of the action although they and other UK newsites are covering the Ukraine trouble all the time

Ukraine and the supposed majority wanting to join the European Community rather than the Russian Federation is highly newsworthy to the BBC which happens to be in........ Europe.

It's called "World Service" for a reason you know...

Sure it is.

BBC World just led with the story on their news

But but but, I heard that thaksin had bought the BBC. Why would they be reporting that ptp had put this in effect.

I don't necessarily agree with number 1, particularly for Thailand where it's quite easy for politically motivated charges to be issued.

Number 2 should be: Having to prove something is False for someone to be guilty, not allowing charges/convictions if it IS true. If someone is spreading lies, then they should get appropriate fines/jail sentences.

Agree with number 3. It should be easily covered by (my) number 2.

Serious criminal wrong doing sold not be exempt. The police should be able to petition parliament to remove immunity. It should go for senators too.

What happened to the bloke who shot his missus across the table?

This is all so simple, if you want somebody out, go vote.

The process has already been expedited to suit your needs.

Who the fuc_k are these people? I can't stand it. Get a fuc_king clue people!!

they want to destroy democracy because 'THEY know better" it's what Fascists thrive on - the elite amaart KNOW better

the 'normal Thais'? let them eat rice and be thankful the elite are in control

Would that be the rice the rice farmers aren't getting paid for?

• Like 1