PDRC plans to block advance voting in Bangkok

webfact

PDRC plans to block advance voting
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The anti-government protesters will try to disrupt advance voting for the February 2 election in Bangkok on Sunday, an informed source said yesterday.

Leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will decide today whether they should block the roads leading to the polling stations or besiege the polling stations, making it impossible for voters to cast their ballots, a PDRC source said.

"The decision on one of the two choices will be made [today]. The operation will definitely take place on Sunday," the source said.

This PDRC "operation" will be implemented mainly in Bangkok, according to the source, who added that protesters in the provinces might also try to disrupt advance voting locally.

A venue for advance voting - mostly district offices - has been designated in each of the capital's 50 districts.

The Constitutional Court will rule today on whether the election will be held on February 2, and on whether any government agencies or the Election Commission (EC) have the authority to set a new date, amid the caretaker government's continued strong push for the poll to be held as scheduled.

The court decided yesterday to take the EC's petition into its consideration and will make a ruling today. It must act quickly because advance polling is due to take place on Sunday.

The Constitutional Court has jurisdiction to rule on these issues, as two state authorities are in conflict.

The EC has proposed that the election be rescheduled for May, as it cannot make voting go smoothly because of the anti-government protests in Bangkok and some other provinces, especially in the South. The government disagrees and insists the election must be held on the original schedule, saying the Constitution does not allow for a new date or delay.

To push its case, the caretaker government has asked the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) to cooperate with the poll agency to keep order during advance voting on Sunday, PM's secretary-general Suranand Vejjajiva said after a special meeting of the Cabinet yesterday.

A state of emergency was imposed in Bangkok and its outskirts on Wednesday. The government set up the CMPO to take care of the situation.

In a related development, caretaker Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday told the military's top brass at a Defence Council meeting to instruct their subordinates to exercise their voting rights, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng said.

Election commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said he feared that after the poll, lawsuits would be filed seeking its nullification because voting will fail to be held on the same day nationwide, as required by the law.

Currently, there are no candidates registered in 28 constituencies in the South.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-24

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PDRC plans to block advance voting

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The anti-government protesters will try to disrupt advance voting for the February 2 election in Bangkok on Sunday, an informed source said yesterday.

Leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) will decide today whether they should block the roads leading to the polling stations or besiege the polling stations, making it impossible for voters to cast their ballots, a PDRC source said.

"The decision on one of the two choices will be made [today]. The operation will definitely take place on Sunday," the source said.

This PDRC "operation" will be implemented mainly in Bangkok, according to the source, who added that protesters in the provinces might also try to disrupt advance voting locally.

A venue for advance voting - mostly district offices - has been designated in each of the capital's 50 districts.

The Constitutional Court will rule today on whether the election will be held on February 2, and on whether any government agencies or the Election Commission (EC) have the authority to set a new date, amid the caretaker government's continued strong push for the poll to be held as scheduled.

The court decided yesterday to take the EC's petition into its consideration and will make a ruling today. It must act quickly because advance polling is due to take place on Sunday.

The Constitutional Court has jurisdiction to rule on these issues, as two state authorities are in conflict.

The EC has proposed that the election be rescheduled for May, as it cannot make voting go smoothly because of the anti-government protests in Bangkok and some other provinces, especially in the South. The government disagrees and insists the election must be held on the original schedule, saying the Constitution does not allow for a new date or delay.

To push its case, the caretaker government has asked the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) to cooperate with the poll agency to keep order during advance voting on Sunday, PM's secretary-general Suranand Vejjajiva said after a special meeting of the Cabinet yesterday.

A state of emergency was imposed in Bangkok and its outskirts on Wednesday. The government set up the CMPO to take care of the situation.

In a related development, caretaker Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday told the military's top brass at a Defence Council meeting to instruct their subordinates to exercise their voting rights, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng said.

Election commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said he feared that after the poll, lawsuits would be filed seeking its nullification because voting will fail to be held on the same day nationwide, as required by the law.

Currently, there are no candidates registered in 28 constituencies in the South.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-24

YL is asking the military to exercise their voting rights. Sounds to me like she is trying to learn how much of the military is on PTP and her side

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In a voting related issue a few days ago Channel News Asia reported that over 140,000 Thais living overseas were registered as voters by to date only just 4,000 had returned ballots and the period to vote ends on Sunday 26.

Earlier there was a news item that Thais in LA, I think it was, had collected overseas ballot papers from their consulate and were refusing to return them. Suppose it makes sense to someone.

In a voting related issue a few days ago Channel News Asia reported that over 140,000 Thais living overseas were registered as voters by to date only just 4,000 had returned ballots and the period to vote ends on Sunday 26.

Earlier there was a news item that Thais in LA, I think it was, had collected overseas ballot papers from their consulate and were refusing to return them. Suppose it makes sense to someone.

How would they know the numbers returned ? I would have thought that info would be classified. 140,000 also seems very low there are probably almost that many students abroad let alone families

• Like 1

How would they know the numbers returned ? I would have thought that info would be classified. 140,000 also seems very low there are probably almost that many students abroad let alone families

Living overseas is one thing and being registered to vote is another. I am registered to vote in UK elections but no one else I know Is.

• Like 1

Another typical move by the thugs to violate people rights and break laws.

Your propaganda war room really needs to come up with something new or different to say rather than repeating the same old mantras day in and day out. Or perhaps you could actually involve yourself in discussion here, it is a forum after all, and tell us why you (in a sensible, well thought out way) think the the Govt is so great and the anti-Govt movement is so bad.

ill give you the one thing the gov are great for.................they are allowing people the right to have a vote..........

ill give you one reason the anti gov are so bad ........ they are not allowing people the right to have a vote....

Nuff said... respect the vote, without that you cannot say you have respect for anything at all.

Except again you are twisting things around. The anti-Govt people are not saying no to voting at all, merely that reform MUST take place before any elections. Not quite the same thing as your over-simplification makes it out.

umm who is blocking the legal voting process or attempting to ... excuses aside are they yes or no ??

thank you

• Like 1

Your propaganda war room really needs to come up with something new or different to say rather than repeating the same old mantras day in and day out. Or perhaps you could actually involve yourself in discussion here, it is a forum after all, and tell us why you (in a sensible, well thought out way) think the the Govt is so great and the anti-Govt movement is so bad.

I believe that "nowhereman" now has a "thugs" count in the region of 1,027. That does seem rather repetitive doesn't it...?! As someone else pointed out on here, those five keys (t, h, u, g and s) must be getting quite worn out by now...!!

• Like 1

Living overseas is one thing and being registered to vote is another. I am registered to vote in UK elections but no one else I know Is.

Very true m8 id forgotten when most go overseas to live they tend to let stuff like registering to vote slip wink.png im registered for the uk too but only bothered to vote in the last one for the first time, im not overly fond of politicians or parties at all just the right to a voice for the people as a process if they wish

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

shows, how democratic ultraroyalists and democrat party are. Blockades of polling stations will lead to confrontation on the streets with the citisens and further antagonise protestors and bangkokians. Suthep can try this tactic in the south, but bkk would be out of his depth

Whilst I do not agree with the tactics of Kuhn Suthepith regard to the blocking of voting, it looks as though though that the election will be a flop. It will be a flop because 28 areas of South Thailand will not be voting, so no MPs. The parliament consists of 500 seats so I have been told, and 500 - 28 is 472 and to reach a quorum 475 or 95%, plus in some areas only one candidate is running and in order to be elected I believe he/she requires 20% of the vote, so even that cannot be taken for granted when many Democrat supporters are going to place their mark in the 'No Vote' box.

I also am told that the election will cost about 3.8 billion baht and that is gross incompetence on the Governments part to waste such a large amount of money. Their has I understand been a suggestion that the 28 areas not voting could be done one at a time over the next few weeks, but my uinderstanding is that the election law requires the nationwide election to be held on the same day.

Meanwhile there is a complete stalmate with a caretaker government unable to do anything tangible and more importantly unable to find the money to pay the farmers. What a mess.

If the caretaker PM cares so much about democracy and her professed love for her country and it so obvious obvious that she and her family are the obstacle to a satisfactory outcome, why will she not do the honourable thing and resign and agree that et al will no longer be involved in politics.

But that will not happen because Kuhn Taksin is power mad and putshis own considerations first rather than the lovely peoples of this country.

And no I do not believe Kuhn Suthep should be the new leader of the country.

• Like 1

shows, how democratic ultraroyalists and democrat party are. Blockades of polling stations will lead to confrontation on the streets with the citisens and further antagonise protestors and bangkokians. Suthep can try this tactic in the south, but bkk would be out of his depth

My apologies in that I missed a typing error in my first line.

ill give you the one thing the gov are great for.................they are allowing people the right to have a vote..........

ill give you one reason the anti gov are so bad ........ they are not allowing people the right to have a vote....

Nuff said... respect the vote, without that you cannot say you have respect for anything at all.

The problem is that the democratic party isn't participating in the election. Therefore, the election is invalid, as it is a foregone conclusion that the democratic party is Thailand's only legitimate party. Without their endorsement, anything is illegitimate.

The problem is that the democratic party isn't participating in the election. Therefore, the election is invalid, as it is a foregone conclusion that the democratic party is Thailand's only legitimate party. Without their endorsement, anything is illegitimate.

what you meant to say was "it's a foregone conclusion that the Democratic (sic) Party would LOSE and therefore won't take part"

• Like 2

Except again you are twisting things around. The anti-Govt people are not saying no to voting at all, merely that reform MUST take place before any elections. Not quite the same thing as your over-simplification makes it out.

umm who is blocking the legal voting process or attempting to ... excuses aside are they yes or no ??

thank you

So you agree then that the anti-Govt protestors DO want all the people to have a vote, but to wait until reforms have taken place?

There is nothing urgent about reforms now only a demand by a few they must happen before any election. This is unacceptable to the vast majority not only here but all other democratic nations, Suthep should know where the line is and he clearly dosnt.

The elections must go ahead it is as simple as that, reforms fine they can happen after just as easily if there is the will to do so, the gov cannot run the country for the next 4 years without some kind of reforms, there is such a thing as pushing too hard and too far, weve been over this you cannot just install your own peoples council in a democratic country because you dont like something and that is what Thailand is.

Had there been a list of names or a will to talk or even a roadmap and suggestions of what reforms that would have been nice but there isnt one name, a refusal to talk and not one suggestion on reform. That tells me Suthep is not serious about real reform but more than serious about having power... Totally wrong guy, he is corrupt, insincere and has a track record almost as bad as the Dubai guy.

sorry i didnt buy into it then and i dont buy into it now.

• Like 1

what you meant to say was "it's a foregone conclusion that the Democratic (sic) Party would LOSE and therefore won't take part"

He said exactly what he meant. This was the democrats plan all along.

I wish people would learn how the hell to use quotes or multi-quotes

• Like 1

Good luck trying to stop PTP and their minions and fugitive from buying votes in advance. People are forgetting that the whole farce of this election process is it goes to who will PAY the most (Thaksin) its not advanced mathematics.

Edited by gemini81

The 4000 number was not from all countries. Only from a few countries. And not including most of the larger countries

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yet more lives ruined, more intimidation and bullying from TFP (Thai Fascist Party). Not a peep from their co workers at Human Rights watch. They far too busy dining out with the Elite to be worried that some ordinary people are treated like this.

Ran teachers out of town for not actively supporting them as well this week.

http://prachatai.com/english/node/3837

Edited by pipkins
  • Like 2

Very true m8 id forgotten when most go overseas to live they tend to let stuff like registering to vote slip wink.png im registered for the uk too but only bothered to vote in the last one for the first time, im not overly fond of politicians or parties at all just the right to a voice for the people as a process if they wish

You're right about people letting registering etc slip but some I know take it as some sort of sign they're done with their homeland but it doesn't stop them sounding off about issues there.

Suggest they could register dissatisfaction by voting they fall back on " done with that country ' routine.

If you want to see real THUGS, spend a few hours watching rented red shirts mobs in 2010 in you tube videos. Maybe then you can separate your significant other's rhetoric from your own personal views- or at least, lessen trolling in forums.

If you want to see real THUGS, spend a few hours watching rented red shirts mobs in 2010 in you tube videos. Maybe then you can separate your significant other's rhetoric from your own personal views- or at least, lessen trolling in forums.

It's ok for Suthep thugs to do it because Red Shirts did it in 2010 makes no sense at all.

• Like 1

But you deliberately omitted to mention respect for the right to protest!