Temperatures plummet further in Thailand's North, Isaan

webfact

Temperatures plummet further in North, Northeast
THE NATION

30225046-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry is urging people, especially children and the elderly, to keep warm, as temperatures in the North and Northeast dropped by a further 4 to 6 degrees Celsius yesterday. A total of 63 deaths have been reported in 27 provinces over the last three months due to the cold spell.

The Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park in Phitsanulok's Nakhon Thai district reported its lowest temperature in the last 20 years yesterday: -3 degrees Celsius. With an average temperature of 5 degrees, the national park experienced up to two centimetres of thick frost, covering a three-kilometre stretch from the Political and Military School, stationed near the park's office, to Rong Khla Village.

At Chiang Mai's Royal Agricultural Station Angkhang, which recorded a temperature of -3 degrees Celsius, throngs of tourists enjoyed the chilly weather and plants such as wild Himalayan cherry blossom. There were similar scenes at Doi Inthanon National Park where guesthouses were fully booked until early February. Temperatures there were recorded at -1 degree Celsius.

Loei's 14 districts also suffered from the cold spell, especially Phu Reu district, which reported temperatures of between -4 to -2 degree Celsius in highland areas.

Disease Control Department chief Dr Sopon Mekthon said 45 provinces had been declared disaster zones, affecting 25 million people. The 63 deaths from the cold spell were recorded between October 22 and January 19. Fifty-nine of the fatalities were Thai, while one was Cambodian, one Laotian, one British and one of unknown nationality. Public Health Ministry permanent secretary, Dr Narong Sahametapat, said heavy drinkers and people with chronic illnesses were most at risk.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-24

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the OP:

A total of 63 deaths have been reported in 27 provinces over the last three months due to the cold spell.

Absolutely brilliant weather!

Loving it.

Nice post. Real class...

I agree its sad that people are dying as a result of the drop in temperature, however; I find myself agreeing with Winnie. I'm loving it while it lasts. It was so cold the other night I had to go put a T shirt on...

• Like 2

Have to disagree.... Just too cold now for too long in the North in houses not built for it. It's ok if you have a good feather down duvet, but the locals are really suffering poor buggahs.

You are so very right. My friend's been messaging me that his elderly parents are having a tough time of it and he's not overly happy.

He says they are drinking a lot of hot water. Considering the quality of the typical Thai home, it must very tough for the old, infirm and children.

Nice to drive my Nissan morning and night with the heater on. Lovely.

You have a heater in car? Must be import, Thai cars don't have it.

Don't know where you are getting your info but my Honda Civic does as do many other local built brands/models. Even my previous old Nissan did.

This must be excellent news, for TAT's rumoured next publicity-campaign, to attract more winter-sports enthusiasts to come skiing or snowboarding here ? laugh.png

One can envision the jet-ski-scam mafia researching the revenue-enhancing potential, of a move into snow-ski rental and bob-sleigh hire, as a matter of urgency ! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Nissan March, push button start, air bags censers, abs, mags, led. auto, sport, ECO car 550,000. most have heaters now, Nissan anyway,

Of course they do!! Just turn off the A/C and turn the temperature control up, and hey presto, hot air will come out the blowers.

Looking at some posters answers, some models only have air con, usually a circle dial with green/blue colour.

Mine has half circle of blue and half circle red, when you turn the dial past the blue you automatically come on to the heater. it is a dual control dial.

• Like 1

From the OP:

A total of 63 deaths have been reported in 27 provinces over the last three months due to the cold spell.

Absolutely brilliant weather!

Loving it.

Nice post. Real class...

Nawt wrong with enjoying the cool weather and posting about it...he is not the cause of the deaths and never will be.

-My Nissan Sylphy has a heather too, set temp at 29 and it will heat up fast.

nice dont get cold at a long trip.

A little inbuilt hotty...you don't see that in their marketing brochures.

Wow, I think the lowest temp I ever experienced in Thai was 14 C. I would truly love to experience a frosty morning here, that would be a treat. I occasionally work in northern Norway during summer, so have plenty of cold weather gear in Thailand. Never thought I would get to deploy it over here though .... maybe I fly north next week.