Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Thinking back to my machine shop days a shaper has a slow forward speed and a faster return speed so it is probably a factor of conrod length so it maybe an under-square engine.

Stab in the dark to get the ball rolling

1.8l MX-5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One for the technical which I stumbled onto the other day whilst researching something for the another "bike" forum

Which production car has the fastest piston speed.

Audi RS4 B7 4.2L V8 mean piston speed 25.7m/s at 8,250rpm.

Why can you buy a New Ride and the Wheels have loads of Stick on Balance Weight's. Then Buy New Tires and the Weights have all but gone. ?.... A question put to me today by a Chevy MU owner...never mind the Pistons hes a bit shocked.biggrin.png

Why can you buy a New Ride and the Wheels have loads of Stick on Balance Weight's. Then Buy New Tires and the Weights have all but gone. ?.... A question put to me today by a Chevy MU owner...never mind the Pistons hes a bit shocked.biggrin.png

All 4 wheels ?

Rears dont need to be balanced but front do and unless they have managed a perfect combination they will need some lead to sort the balance.

All 4 wheels ?

Rears dont need to be balanced but front do and unless they have managed a perfect combination they will need some lead to sort the balance.

Wrong.................rolleyes.gif

It came with the Rear Wheel heavily balanced from the Showroom. i saw it but as usual wasn't surprised not being Honda or Toyo Precision. O.K. pause for Yawn.........Now the Michelin Folks say the Bridgestone was a crappy mould that just squeeze through SQA,hence the load of balance strips. All Honda's and Chevs come balanced F&R by the way. The Change was due to he chucks em away after 2 Year ,regardless of ware. So who thinks the Mould was out.?.

Woodsie,

As has been said Audi overtook Honda so the Audi is correct.

So what about the fastest piston acceleration?

OK now that the tyre balance is sorted, some piston speed and acceleration from another forum.

Audi R8 V10 5.2L 560hp - at 8700 RPM, average piston speed is 26.9m/s, max. piston acceleration is around 5000g.

Ferrari 458 Italia V8 4.5L 570hp - at 9000 RPM, average piston speed is 28.2m/s, max. piston acceleration is somewhere around 5400g.

The Ferrari V8 Stroke is 81mm so the piston speed above seems wrong.

The Audi V10 maybe the production engine piston speed & acceleration champ?

For comparison, some other engines quoted were:

2003 BMW F1 engine at 19000 RPM, average piston speed is about 25m/s, max. piston acceleration is around 10000g.

2006 Cosworth CA F1 engine at 20,000 rpm piston acceleration 10,616g.

3.5cc R/C racing engine, 16 mm stroke and 48,000 rpm 25.6 m/s 26,000g w00t.gif

How Many Tire Shops you been in Gooney, apart from Bicycle Tire Shops...biggrin.png

Your childish behavior does not warrant an accurate answer Iam afraid. if you want to hold an adult conversation or ask an adult question you will need to start acting like one.

Just another point about balancing ALL the wheels, when you go for a service they swap the wheels around, rear to the front, front to the rear. thumbsup.gif

If they are not performing a new balance when they rotate I would look for another place to service my vehicle.

Just another point about balancing ALL the wheels, when you go for a service they swap the wheels around, rear to the front, front to the rear. thumbsup.gif

If they are not performing a new balance when they rotate I would look for another place to service my vehicle.

Never seen wheels being balanced during a service. Your place don't balance the rears anyhooooooooooo....blink.png

Never seen wheels being balanced during a service. Your place don't balance the rears anyhooooooooooo....blink.png

Well they should be re-balanced when rotating but in regards to my rears, they are balanced and I also get free rotate and balance every 10,000 km for the life of the tyres as well. I suggest you find a better place for yours.

Just because it is done does not mean it is necessary though.

Edited by Spoonman

OK now that the tyre balance is sorted,

Mmm, could have been wrong on that one....

But but but, we haven't sorted the pressures in them yet.....w00t.gif ................laugh.png

No worries, any pressure will do, especially at the rear.... whistling.gif