Phan Fah crackdown: PDRC leader Somkiat mysteriously rescued

webfact

You do realize that you're contradicting yourself. Like it or not, you're not enforcing the rule of law or supporting democracy if you don't apply the same rule for everybody. It will never be if you let one slip just because you happen to like that particular one better than the other. This kind of thinking is one of the biggest reasons for why Thailand is in this mess.

Sure these things happen in the west as well, but Thai politics and social classes are so extremely polarized, the gap so deep that you need a DSV just to find the bottom of that abyss.

Once people here starts to fill that gap, most of the elites and that includes Thaksin as well, will get what they deserve IF they have been proven guilty by the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

How am I contradicting myself? What rules am I not applying? I didn't say that Suthep was right. I just said he wasn't convicted and he hadn't left the country. Is that incorrect?

Suthep hasn't attended court for the murder charges because he doesn't want to be dragged off for the SOE charges. He should attend court and he should be arrested. Whether I agree with the murder charges and SOE charges or not, it's pretty clear why he isn't attending court.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mystery continues regarding the Civil Court's decision, which was reported by Thai PBS yesterday, and then retracted by them shortly thereafter. Today's announcement should clarify that. If the emergency decree is struck down, it will mean that the dispersal of protesters is illegal. It would mean Chalerm's whole house of cards would crumble.

You do realize that you're contradicting yourself. Like it or not, you're not enforcing the rule of law or supporting democracy if you don't apply the same rule for everybody. It will never be if you let one slip just because you happen to like that particular one better than the other. This kind of thinking is one of the biggest reasons for why Thailand is in this mess.

Sure these things happen in the west as well, but Thai politics and social classes are so extremely polarized, the gap so deep that you need a DSV just to find the bottom of that abyss.

Once people here starts to fill that gap, most of the elites and that includes Thaksin as well, will get what they deserve IF they have been proven guilty by the court.

How am I contradicting myself? What rules am I not applying? I didn't say that Suthep was right. I just said he wasn't convicted and he hadn't left the country. Is that incorrect?

Suthep hasn't attended court for the murder charges because he doesn't want to be dragged off for the SOE charges. He should attend court and he should be arrested. Whether I agree with the murder charges and SOE charges or not, it's pretty clear

why he isn't attending court.

Well the same goes for Thaksin, he wouldn't have much of a chance either. Doesn't mean that either of them are right but this brings the country into a Mexican standoff which is what we are having now.

The problem here is that neither Abhisit nor Suthep were elected by the people, Yingluck was. Sure I'll give you that she'a not the smartest girl on the block and she is extremely clumpsy but that doesn't change the fact that the majority voted for her. If Abhisit hadn't done what he had done and joined Suthep and tried to win the people over by election, I would bet he would have gained more votes now than before due to the rice and tablet scheme. Instead he took the undemocratic route showing where his allegiance truly lies.

Long story short, I do believe that th Dems could have won this and got this country going further, leaving the elites and Thaksin behind. Instead they have created a new mess, perpetuating the cycle of instability.

Well the same goes for Thaksin, he wouldn't have much of a chance either. Doesn't mean that either of them are right but this brings the country into a Mexican standoff which is what we are having now.

The problem here is that neither Abhisit nor Suthep were elected by the people, Yingluck was. Sure I'll give you that she'a not the smartest girl on the block and she is extremely clumpsy but that doesn't change the fact that the majority voted for her. If Abhisit hadn't done what he had done and joined Suthep and tried to win the people over by election, I would bet he would have gained more votes now than before due to the rice and tablet scheme. Instead he took the undemocratic route showing where his allegiance truly lies.

Long story short, I do believe that th Dems could have won this and got this country going further, leaving the elites and Thaksin behind. Instead they have created a new mess, perpetuating the cycle of instability.

In 2007 and 2011, both Abhisit and Suthep were elected by the people. How else do you think they became MPs? And the fact is, in 2011 the majority didn't vote for Yingluck.

If the Democrats had stood in this election, PTP would have probably still got into government through a coalition. PTP would have used that "win" as a reason to continue their corrupt policies.

Edited by whybother

In 2007 and 2011, both Abhisit and Suthep were elected by the people. How else do you think they became MPs? And the fact is, in 2011 the majority didn't vote for Yingluck.

If the Democrats had stood in this election, PTP would have probably still got into government through a coalition. PTP would have used that "win" as a reason to continue their corrupt policies.

My memory must be slipping as I remember PTP won both those elections. If I'm wrong then please elaborate.

• Like 1

give us a break... Abhisit nor Suthep were elected by 'the people' to run the country the elected government were torn down by the ammart judiciary as well you know

the Dems have not 'won' anything in 20 years - apart from the disdain by most for their immature "we won't play" at the last election

My memory must be slipping as I remember PTP won both those elections. If I'm wrong then please elaborate.

PPP got the most seats in 2007, but not a majority, and formed a coalition to enable it to form government. PTP got a majority of seats in 2011 but didn't get the majority of votes (only 48%).

Abhisit was elected PM by a majority of MPs when a faction of the banned PPP and a couple of smaller parties changed their support to back him for PM in 2008.

give us a break... Abhisit nor Suthep were elected by 'the people' to run the country the elected government were torn down by the ammart judiciary as well you know

the Dems have not 'won' anything in 20 years - apart from the disdain by most for their immature "we won't play" at the last election

You need to read up on how the parliamentary system works. Abhisit was elected PM by a majority of MPs (ie the representatives of "the people").

But the elected government engaged in corruption, criminal acts and other wrongdoings so they were kicked out of the office rightfully. Democrats made the right decision not ot join madly rushed and poorly organised election. They have provewn their point. Less than half of Thais bothered to vote and considerable number of them voted 'no' or destroyed their ballot paper. If that means the most people disdain Democrats for not taking part in the joke of the election then you should consult the dicitionary and look up the word 'most', You're on the losing side. Sour grapes.

Edited by Mackie

As I keep repeating, Suthep has the real power backing him, the Shins are now in in the realms of taking desperate measures. For the sake of the country the Military need to issue an ultimatum. Shins book your flights out of the country, PTP find a legitamate leader and lets re run the election.

Sounds good that, be great if it could happen. Then the army could tell Suthep to get to <deleted> as well as his "peoples council" thingy.

Everyones a winner!.....

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But the elected government engaged in corruption, criminal acts and other wrongdoings so they were kicked out of the office rightfully. Democrats made the right decision not ot join madly rushed and poorly organised election. They have provewn their point. Less than half of Thais bothered to vote and considerable number of them voted 'no' or destroyed their ballot paper. If that means the most people disdain Democrats for not taking part in the joke of the election then you should consult the dicitionary and look up the word 'most', You're on the losing side. Sour grapes.

Should be a landslide victory for the dems then come the next election non?........

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually, in these such cases where these people were party list candidates, they were not elected by the Thai people at all, even in their constituencies. They were additional MP's under a ratio'd allowance per party votes won. In both cases, their parties formed a coalition in order to hold a majority of seats in the lower house and form a government (that part is exactly the same as in UK current government, and others). The MP's within the government coalition group then voted for their party leader...... in the case of Yingluck being voted in, that was strictly under orders from a notorious Khun_T.

You need to read up on how the parliamentary system works. Abhisit was elected PM by a majority of MPs (ie the representatives of "the people").

C'mon man really, elected by yellow MP's, that is NOT the people, that is one side of the minority of the voting public, don't distort the truth,

nice attempt at spin yeah, but your gunna have to do better than that mate,

C'mon man really, elected by yellow MP's, that is NOT the people, that is one side of the minority of the voting public, don't distort the truth,

nice attempt at spin yeah, but your gunna have to do better than that mate,

They were MPs. They represent the people. That is the way PMs are elected. You should understand that since you're from Aus.