Honda CBR500 2013 Recall?

sup3r1or

tranny is god on my cbr500r positive and exact. no false neutral, easy to find neutral and smooth. like a classic good honda tranny.

i ride my bike hard too - i mean it - and it is on 24.000 km now- and never top up any oil. i use full synthetic oil though.

tranny is god on my cbr500r positive and exact. no false neutral, easy to find neutral and smooth. like a classic good honda tranny.

i ride my bike hard too - i mean it - and it is on 24.000 km now- and never top up any oil. i use full synthetic oil though.

ll2 is this your tranny god?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-195835-13938563124067_thumb.jpg

ll2 is this your tranny god?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

haha, no, she looks old and busty!

Having ridden motorcycles since 1954 I think I'm qualified to judge American, European and Japanese motorcycles. I've owned more than a few of each over the decades......new and used.

Well now you're riding a Thai one and the problem you mention is likely the reason for the global recall.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Chiang Mai and ride a CB500X now for 10 month's and have two 3 day tours under my belt. Coming up on 5000K I've had to add oil several times. Found this strange for a new technology Honda engine but not distressing as from experience it takes a while for a new engine to seat. Obviously I would have noticed an oil leak.

Just read about the recall and I can see the concern of other new owners. I ride hard without concern for a new engine and figured that was the cause for the disappearing oil. I only go to CM Big Wing to keep my warranty valid as I don't talk technical Thai so don't waste my time or theirs with tech questions.

With a noisy clutch and clunky transmission the only good thing I can say about the machine is the price was right and it's fun to ride. Having ridden motorcycles since 1954 I think I'm qualified to judge American, European and Japanese motorcycles. I've owned more than a few of each over the decades......new and used.

I'll check my numbers and follow up later but I'm not really concerned as with everything in LOS I ride hard, wear it out and go buy another one.

Aloha........Jolly Roger

Follow-up 31 March Monday............Wife received a phone call on Saturday from CM Big Wing for me to bring in my CB500X for a FREE recall replacement of a part on the engine. I was surprised as upon checking to see if my serial number was among those concerned.....it was not!

Today I stopped by CM Big Wing and not finding anyone who spoke English arranged a phone conversation with my wife and the sales manager.

It was soon determined I had been summoned to replace the two bolts on the left side of the engine per the description provided by a previous poster.

I insisted on watching the recall event though there was no one available to tell me the 'WHY' of the replacement of what turned out to be not two bolts but two cap/screws with a flat paddle type metal protrusion about an inch long that I assume fit into a female part. Prior to removing the original cap/screws the mechanic went to the right side of the engine and removed the round cap exposing the end of the crank shaft and rotated the crank to TDC. Returning to the left side he removed the existing two BOLTS? and replaced them with new ones. 15 minutes total time.

I looked at the removed parts and they looked very similar to the new parts. Is there someone out there that can tell me the 'WHY' of what's going on.

Frankly I doubt even the mechanics know WHY as Asians generally do what they are told by there superiors without question.

If there is someone who has found out 'WHY' please share your knowledge. My curiosity is killing me!!!

Aloha.........Jolly Roger

I'm in Chiang Mai and ride a CB500X now for 10 month's and have two 3 day tours under my belt. Coming up on 5000K I've had to add oil several times. Found this strange for a new technology Honda engine but not distressing as from experience it takes a while for a new engine to seat. Obviously I would have noticed an oil leak.

Just read about the recall and I can see the concern of other new owners. I ride hard without concern for a new engine and figured that was the cause for the disappearing oil. I only go to CM Big Wing to keep my warranty valid as I don't talk technical Thai so don't waste my time or theirs with tech questions.

With a noisy clutch and clunky transmission the only good thing I can say about the machine is the price was right and it's fun to ride. Having ridden motorcycles since 1954 I think I'm qualified to judge American, European and Japanese motorcycles. I've owned more than a few of each over the decades......new and used.

I'll check my numbers and follow up later but I'm not really concerned as with everything in LOS I ride hard, wear it out and go buy another one.

Aloha........Jolly Roger

Follow-up 31 March Monday............Wife received a phone call on Saturday from CM Big Wing for me to bring in my CB500X for a FREE recall replacement of a part on the engine. I was surprised as upon checking to see if my serial number was among those concerned.....it was not!

Today I stopped by CM Big Wing and not finding anyone who spoke English arranged a phone conversation with my wife and the sales manager.

It was soon determined I had been summoned to replace the two bolts on the left side of the engine per the description provided by a previous poster.

I insisted on watching the recall event though there was no one available to tell me the 'WHY' of the replacement of what turned out to be not two bolts but two cap/screws with a flat paddle type metal protrusion about an inch long that I assume fit into a female part. Prior to removing the original cap/screws the mechanic went to the right side of the engine and removed the round cap exposing the end of the crank shaft and rotated the crank to TDC. Returning to the left side he removed the existing two BOLTS? and replaced them with new ones. 15 minutes total time.

I looked at the removed parts and they looked very similar to the new parts. Is there someone out there that can tell me the 'WHY' of what's going on.

Frankly I doubt even the mechanics know WHY as Asians generally do what they are told by there superiors without question.

If there is someone who has found out 'WHY' please share your knowledge. My curiosity is killing me!!!

Aloha.........Jolly Roger

Just ride and enjoy your bike.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

problem is the recall is only likely to solve one of the serious issues with this model the cam and rocker box problem ,,,, does not address the breather over pressuring and gearbox seals failing design problems ,,, newer production bikes have a redesigned engine breather and timing , but Honda are unlikely to do anything about older bikes as they would need a replacement engine to cure the faults .

I would guess that it is in the hands of the lawyers, and the bean counters, same as auto industry.

Estimate cost of recall to fix all bikes, and the resulting public bad press.

Versus the cost of sitting back, saying nothing, and dealing with this on a case by case basis. Have buyers bear the frustration, while the $$$ sits in the bank,

Many examples of this.

problem is the recall is only likely to solve one of the serious issues with this model the cam and rocker box problem ,,,, does not address the breather over pressuring and gearbox seals failing design problems ,,, newer production bikes have a redesigned engine breather and timing , but Honda are unlikely to do anything about older bikes as they would need a replacement engine to cure the faults .

Well that rips it..............I've decided to run that SOB into the ground while it is still under warranty. Did the same thing to a Harley that was a lemon decades ago.

Thanks <liddelljohn> for the insight. By-the-way would you provide the source of this information?

Mahalo nui...................Jolly Roger

• 1 year later...