Airport-bound foreigners safe after illegal taxi catches fire

webfact

Airport-bound foreigners safe after illegal taxi catches fire
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2014221153342785_zdMkNLnZGjVN
The illegal taxi caught on fire while taking passengers to the airport. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A black-plate taxi carrying two foreigners to Phuket International Airport burst into flames on Thepkrasattri road at about 2pm today.

It took villagers about 15 minutes and seven fire extinguishers to put out the fire, explained a Kusoldharm Foundation rescue worker. No one was injured.

“By the time we got there, the fire was already under control. At the scene were two fire extinguishers from the 7-Eleven and four from villagers’ houses,” the rescue worked said.

The car belong to illegal taxi driver Pakawat Kumpairun, 23.

“I was transferring two passengers from a hotel in Kathu to the airport, when the fire started below the hood of my car. However, I didn’t realize there was a problem until another car stopped at the red light of the Koh Kaew Intersection and pointed it out,” Mr Pakawat told the Phuket Gazette.

“We all got out of the car, and that’s when it really started to go up in flames. The villagers quickly came and helped control the fire.”

The two passengers were transferred to the airport by another taxi. Mr Pakawat said he paid the fare for them.

Police were not called to the scene.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Airport-bound-foreigners-safe-after-illegal-taxi-catches-fire-25647.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-21

Question for you guys regarding the LPG tanks, as often I've wondered in the metered legal LPG taxis, if that thing is on fire like this one and gets to the tank, does it explode?

If I'm in that metered taxi and get massively rear-ended (skip the katoey jokes please), would the LPG tank explode?