Forum upgrade in progress! ×

2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

Chiang Mai - Yesterday about 10:30 I have to head out to take care of couple things (pay a bar tab, stock up), on Huai Kaew Road past the mall, way, way past the moat. Only had to get by one family with what looked like 10 and 7-year-old male kids. Approaching, backpack on, in the morning, I am signally *No*. Then I say "No!" Kid hits me with bucket. I freeze, tense up and wanna hit somebody. The family seems to force a giggle. I mean, why the F-k is this funny? I mutter obscenities under my breath, keep going.

Just now I got back from the briefest run possible for minimal supplies, the 7-11. I actually did okay, got by the dopes IMMEDIATELY IN FRONT of the 7-11 with water hoses. Inside the floor was soaked.

I finish biz, start back, clear the hoses - they take two Thai guys off a motorbike, splatter them all over the street -- and HK is a busy street.

But here is the kicker: A couple of middle-aged white dudes who were walking up the sidewalk, shirtless, guts out, rushed out to help the downed Thai guys (bailed me out of that). They stop traffic, but not easy, The Thai coming up on scooters were jockeying for position, just wanted to get around while the farang were peeling the cats off the asphalt. To be fair, maybe the Thai figured they were sitting ducks for the hoses.

What a F-king joke.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chiang Mai - Yesterday about 10:30 I have to head out to take care of couple things (pay a bar tab, stock up), on Huai Kaew Road past the mall, way, way past the moat. Only had to get by one family with what looked like 10 and 7-year-old male kids. Approaching, backpack on, in the morning, I am signally *No*. Then I say "No!" Kid hits me with bucket. I freeze, tense up and wanna hit somebody. The family seems to force a giggle. I mean, why the F-k is this funny? I mutter obscenities under my breath, keep going.

Just now I got back from the briefest run possible for minimal supplies, the 7-11. I actually did okay, got by the dopes IMMEDIATELY IN FRONT of the 7-11 with water hoses. Inside the floor was soaked.

I finish biz, start back, clear the hoses - they take two Thai guys off a motorbike, splatter them all over the street -- and HK is a busy street.

But here is the kicker: A couple of middle-aged white dudes who were walking up the sidewalk, shirtless, guts out, rushed out to help the downed Thai guys (bailed me out of that). They stop traffic, but not easy, The Thai coming up on scooters were jockeying for position, just wanted to get around while the farang were peeling the cats off the asphalt. To be fair, maybe the Thai figured they were sitting ducks for the hoses.

What a F-king joke.

Things can't be that bad up there as you had to come to a Pattaya thread to vent??? Don't take this the wrong way as it is a serious questions - I've never visited the Chiang Mai forum, but don't they have Songkran vent threads on there?

What a F-king joke.

Things can't be that bad up there as you had to come to a Pattaya thread to vent??? Don't take this the wrong way as it is a serious questions - I've never visited the Chiang Mai forum, but don't they have Songkran vent threads on there?

Oh, yeah, just recalled this one, "2014 Songkran FAQ (long)", was Pattaya-specific. Forgot the page head. Sorry man, didn't mean to blow your Pattaya high with non-pertinent info. I'll be more careful in the suture.

What a F-king joke.

Oh, yeah, just recalled this one, "2014 Songkran FAQ (long)", was Pattaya-specific. Forgot the page head. Sorry man, didn't mean to blow your Pattaya high with non-pertinent info. I'll be more careful in the suture.

No need for sarcasm. I asked a serious question. I don't have problem with you venting here at all - go at it!

Report coming into Pattaya by baht bus from Jomtien at 9:30. Occasional light water gun attacks. A few with full buckets threatening but not hit. More than I had expected that late on a more off night.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What a F-king joke.

No need for sarcasm. I asked a serious question. I don't have problem with you venting here at all - go at it!

Don't think I've seen CM-specific threads, but did not really look for them (my fault). Noted comments from / about CM around here and there while skimming. Pretty bad / good here, depending on perspective. Judging by vacancy rate at current hotel (everybody cleared out, past few days), not a big hit with the visitors. Probably figured it they are going to get soaked walking a couple blocks from hotel to bar / restaurant, they may as well be near a beach.

Don't think I've seen CM-specific threads, but did not really look for them (my fault). Noted comments from / about CM around here and there while skimming. Pretty bad / good here, depending on perspective. Judging by vacancy rate at current hotel (everybody cleared out, past few days), not a big hit with the visitors. Probably figured it they are going to get soaked walking a couple blocks from hotel to bar / restaurant, they may as well be near a beach.

It interesting to know how things are going elsewhere around Thailand. How long does it go on for up there? When is the main Songkran Day?

The Chiang Mai forum does have some Songkran threads and I enjoyed skewering a Songkraner in there today.

I see mentions of Songkran in the TV newsletter and I usually go to the threads and introduce a little reality as needed. I've mentioned the Pattaya FAQ in the Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and General forums. Comparisons between PTY and other places are indeed interesting.

I think Songkran has gotten to be such a big deal in Chiang Mai that the Chiang Mai forum needs its own FAQ. Might post one there next year, but first get verification of the dates and locations . . . could use a lot of the Pattaya FAQ otherwise: the survival strategies are the same.

Edited by JSixpack

Songkran in Chiang Mai is always April 13 through April 15. In some years it may run a day on either side of that but I wouldn't swear to that being fact as more often than not, I am out of Thailand for the period!

The Chiang Mai forum does have some Songkran threads and I enjoyed skewering a Songkraner in there today.

I see mentions of Songkran in the TV newsletter and I usually go to the threads and introduce a little reality as needed. I've mentioned the Pattaya FAQ in the Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and General forums. Comparisons between PTY and other places are indeed interesting.

I think Songkran has gotten to be such a big deal in Chiang Mai that the Chiang Mai forum needs its own FAQ. Might post one there next year, but first get verification of the dates and locations . . . could use a lot of the Pattaya FAQ otherwise: the survival strategies are the same.

So which places in Thailand gets 2nd and 3rd honours as the worst places to be during Songkran?

So which places in Thailand gets 2nd and 3rd honours as the worst places to be during Songkran?

Looks to me like Chiang Mai comes in 2nd. Possibly Phuket next? Haven't visited that forum. Bangkok is so large that it's easy to avoid the bad areas and lead a pretty normal life for the 3 days.

Here's one of the posts I made today in the Chiang Mai forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717917-its-begun-wet-today/page-5#entry7692522

Edited by JSixpack

Looks to me like Chiang Mai comes in 2nd. Possibly Phuket next? Haven't visited that forum. Bangkok is so large that it's easy to avoid the bad areas and lead a pretty normal life for the 3 days.

Here's one of the posts I made today in the Chiang Mai forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717917-its-begun-wet-today/page-5#entry7692522

Yes I will also give CM 2nd place. Phuket are only celebrating for 2 days so not too bad actually but it is 10 years ago I was there during Songkran.

Sorry to rain on the self-congratulatory parade, but I actually prefer the "It's started" threads as I find them fresher, more accurate and less cynical...

Hope we can keep these reports coming in daily--in this thread, since there's not a separate "It's Started" thread this year. Will be useful for next year's FAQ.

Looks like the schedule and predictions in the current FAQ have been pretty accurate so far.

Thanks! The more of these photos I see the more I enjoy the comfort of my home.

Cheers

Yeah, good shots, thanks.

And same here, happy to stay out of it. I would say it's age, but way, way younger, 2nd time in country, Chiang Mai, after a full day in it, and after the supposed *quitting time*, about 21:00, getting slammed by a bucket of dirty moat water while in a tuk-tuk, dressed for dinner, said F-k this. Next morning the way younger me caught the first flight for the islands. Guess I ain't got what it takes.

Sorry to rain on the self-congratulatory parade, but I actually prefer the "It's started" threads as I find them fresher, more accurate and less cynical...

Hope we can keep these reports coming in daily--in this thread, since there's not a separate "It's Started" thread this year. Will be useful for next year's FAQ.

Looks like the schedule and predictions in the current FAQ have been pretty accurate so far.

Good try at distorting my observation, but you've confused me with somebody who really gives a shit. If you prefer an "It's Started" thread, you've got your own lil' keyboard so you can just stop being a pussy and start one yourself.

Edited by JSixpack

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's a pathetic attempt to upset the die hard cynics on this thread....

Here's what to do: Open the main page on Pattaya Forum and click "Start New Topic"... then start a thread to your liking.

Edited by tropo

My husband, just informed me that the Thai Calendar for legal holidays in Pattaya, includes the 20th in the celebrations this year. officially 18,19, and 20th. Have you ever known a Thai holiday that is at the weekend to NOT include the WHOLE weekend? (or more)

My husband, just informed me that the Thai Calendar for legal holidays in Pattaya, includes the 20th in the celebrations this year. officially 18,19, and 20th. Have you ever known a Thai holiday that is at the weekend to NOT include the WHOLE weekend? (or more)

There's a tendency for Thais to take the WHOLE weekend whether it's official or not! I sympathize.

It doesn't mean that the water throwing doesn't stop on the 19th "celebration day" in PTY, however. If that report is true, it just means that people who were officially supposed to go back to work on the 20th--a small minority--now don't have to, even though many wouldn't be showing up anyway or their companies had already given them that day. (Not all; and some companies may well require work on an official holiday and then give a substitution day.) A lot of people will be traveling back to their homes near their jobs on the 20th.

So if true, it surely has little impact on the overall scheme of things, I do believe.

This is absolutely fantastic news, I'll be sure to spread the word! smile.png

Happy SongKran!!!!

Glad somebody likes it....I just wish Pattaya would get in sync with the rest of the country!

It doesn't mean that the water throwing doesn't stop on the 19th "celebration day" in PTY, however. If that report is true, it just means that people who were officially supposed to go back to work on the 20th--a small minority--now don't have to, even though many wouldn't be showing up anyway or their companies had already given them that day. (Not all; and some companies may well require work on an official holiday and then give a substitution day.) A lot of people will be traveling back to their homes near their jobs on the 20th.

So if true, it surely has little impact on the overall scheme of things, I do believe.

I looked back on the calender to find another Songkran Day which fell on Saturday - April 19, 2008. I was here on that weekend and the water throwing did stop on Saturday. Whew!!! biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1