Told to get off Minibus,twice !

drx13

I think the op is likely correct thinking the driver lost a bit of face. A few times I've noticed milder reactions from taxi drivers and other drivers to my putting on a seatbelt. Usually the reaction seems to be one to the effect of how ridiculous I am for wanting to wear a seat belt and a chuckle and a "no need to use" comment. I point out to them that we don't know what will happen on the road despite our expert driving, we cannot control what other drivers or circumstances may bring and that people get their necks or backs snapped in two by just being thrown around in a minor accident, so better safe than sorry. Some see my point some don't.

That said, it is not being very safety concious stepping into one of those vans in the first place, we read the sad stories almost weekly on here. Probably the only thing worse would be getting on a motorcycle taxi. I'd skip using vans and use some of the somewhat less dangerous options if available. The driver's attitude is indicative of why the vans are notoriously dangerous. I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to having to take transport in Thailand and things won't be improving for awhile yet either.

Most now have a phone number posted you may call if the driver does something bad, I think it started when those people were burned alive. Of course that would not apply to safety belts.

I think the op is likely correct thinking the driver lost a bit of face. A few times I've noticed milder reactions from taxi drivers and other drivers to my putting on a seatbelt. Usually the reaction seems to be one to the effect of how ridiculous I am for wanting to wear a seat belt and a chuckle and a "no need to use" comment. I point out to them that we don't know what will happen on the road despite our expert driving, we cannot control what other drivers or circumstances may bring and that people get their necks or backs snapped in two by just being thrown around in a minor accident, so better safe than sorry. Some see my point some don't.

That said, it is not being very safety concious stepping into one of those vans in the first place, we read the sad stories almost weekly on here. Probably the only thing worse would be getting on a motorcycle taxi. I'd skip using vans and use some of the somewhat less dangerous options if available. The driver's attitude is indicative of why the vans are notoriously dangerous. I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to having to take transport in Thailand and things won't be improving for awhile yet either.

Most now have a phone number posted you may call if the driver does something bad, I think it started when those people were burned alive. Of course that would not apply to safety belts.

That's good to know they are posting numbers. I wonder if any of the companies would take the complaints seriously. Too many ppeople have to cope with really dangerous circumstances everywhere in Thailand so that they just don't want to hear it that this or that thing is dangerous. Still, I never take vans if I can avoid them. Using a bus is better simply because the vehicle is large enough that it is less likely than a van to get rolled in a collision.

The OP's story is entirely believable.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I told a song tau driver I refused to board his song tau till he got seat belts, airbags and washed at least the passenger area. Oh I don't want to tell you all what he did! It was so disgusting.

youll be walking for years to come with that attitude in thailand ......coffee1.gif

• Like 1

In the past ten years I have never seen a person put on a seat belt in a van (I ride a van 20 times a month). Has anyone else seen this amazing act? One doesn't wear them in a taxi or song tau why would one wear them in a van? Back seats of course.

Sorry, but if seat belts are installed, I strap in. Minivan, buses, taxis. So the same thing I said to the OP: Bullsh*t.

Now that I live here and have a car and motorcycle, I avoid just about every other form of transport other than an occasional songtaw or tuk tuk drive in the city limits, and that's usually when I'm having an eye appointment or other medical procedure at the local hospital and really would be a danger to drive myself. But, in 2007 when I was here, making a visa run from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai, we did have a 15 minute delay on our way back to Chiang Mai after the minivan driver was stopped at a BIB checkpoint and fined for not wearing his seat belt. Boo Hoo. That was cost him his day's wage for driving all us farang up to the border.

Edited by connda

spamsign.gif.pagespeed.ce.f9WH7_RlrG.gif

Unfortunately they don't have a "Troll" emoticon - but Spam will work. This is a ludicrous post. OP. File a police report and post it. Then maybe I'll buy it.

who suddenly died and made you important ? why would the op care whether YOU buy it or not ?

hes not even SELLING it ,hes got nothing to gain from being thrown off a bus ,tell us why he would

make something like this up ??

Just reading this thread while looking what has happened to the plane and we all know that nobody had survived this tragic catastrophe.makes me a sort of wondering, why a foreigner would get kicked out from a Thai van driver.

I've never seen, nor heard of something similar. They also deal with Chinese people who do not seem to have the right behavior. Saw them spitting in a pool a friend of mine was in.

Som Nam Na....-wai2.gif

spamsign.gif.pagespeed.ce.f9WH7_RlrG.gif

Unfortunately they don't have a "Troll" emoticon - but Spam will work. This is a ludicrous post. OP. File a police report and post it. Then maybe I'll buy it.

who suddenly died and made you important ? why would the op care whether YOU buy it or not ?

hes not even SELLING it ,hes got nothing to gain from being thrown off a bus ,tell us why he would

make something like this up ??

Watch is. I have no other comments. Have a nice day!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1A--vHZD2fc#t=55

Edited by connda

I thought the posts condemning the OP were sarcastic; then I realized you were serious. It's stunning. I'm imagining you all smugly flying through windshields, the BiB indifferently picking over your corpses for your passports. Not one of them will realize that you died so that you could be proud of everything Thai, no matter how silly.

Not only were they serious, they compromise a bona fide BRIGAGE. Several actually. coffee1.gif

In the past ten years I have never seen a person put on a seat belt in a van (I ride a van 20 times a month). Has anyone else seen this amazing act? One doesn't wear them in a taxi or song tau why would one wear them in a van? Back seats of course.

"...why would one wear them in a van?" Um, because it is a good safety measure? BTW I see people using seatbelts in busses and minivans frequently. If riding in the front of a Bangkok Taxi the drivers frequently even request that I fasten the safety belt.
  • Like 1

Previous experience..taking a 2 yo Thai baby ( quite distressed), boy from Bangkok Christian Hospital, a few years ago :-

It was about 16:30, and raining heavily. I opened a taxi door next to the Patpong Soi and asked to be taken a few km north.

The driver refused, and after a standoff I got out to photograph the taxi info

Th driver dumped the baby on the pavement. The vendors preparing their stalls were horrified and

indicated I go to the nearest Police Box, at the end of the Soi.The driver drove off

I was hyperventilating and virtually speechless when we got to box.

The bemused sergeant, made a few calls and gave me a 'phone number to call.

You may guess the outcome ZILCH..so what leverage anyone may have over simply being requested

to get off the bus leaves little to the imagination.

To the poster who thinks that big buses travel very frequently along there, he is correct, they DID, before the introduction

of the minbuses but now make very rare appearances, and too unpredictable to meet hospital appointments.

Edited by drx13

Previous experience..taking a 2 yo Thai baby ( quite distressed), boy from Bangkok Christian Hospital, a few years ago :-

It was about 16:30, and raining heavily. I opened a taxi door next to the Patpong Soi and asked to be taken a few km north.

The driver refused, and after a standoff I got out to photograph the taxi info

Th driver dumped the baby on the pavement. The vendors preparing their stalls were horrified and

indicated I go to the nearest Police Box, at the end of the Soi.The driver drove off

I was hyperventilating and virtually speechless when we got to box.

The bemused sergeant, made a few calls and gave me a 'phone number to call.

You may guess the outcome ZILCH..so what leverage anyone may have over simply being requested

to get off the bus leaves little to the imagination.

To the poster who thinks that big buses travel very frequently along there, he is correct, they DID, before the introduction

of the minbuses but now make very rare appearances, and too unpredictable to meet hospital appointments.

Edit: You are correct just checked with Thai friends.

Edited by thailiketoo